Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Skiing + First Solo Trip (March 2015)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads! Hoping to have your two cents! I'm 23, living somewhere in Asia, and am planning to tick skiing/snowboarding and an eurotrip off my bucket list next March (without breaking the bank).

Thing is, no friends will with me because I quote, 'what are you going to do with 7 days of snow?!'

Well, ski. Or snowboard. (All alone. And alone for the first time.)

I read from a couple of threads that UCPA is a value-for-money and a lively option. Others would be PistePals, ColdFusion and Hofnar. I've contacted all of them but UCPA has not gotten back to me about transfer and it has been 2 weeks. Sad

Questions (and many of them):

- Does UCPA provide transfer service from the nearest airport?
- If I suck at skateboarding, would snowboarding be a pain to pick up? (I cannot figure how to move 10 metres on a skateboard w/o falling)
- Will skiing come with ease if I figure skate pretty fine?
- I understand that CrystalSki/IgluSki includes return flights. Thing is, I can fly direct to the closest airport and do a pickup instead. Any other companies do that?
- Any suggestions of skiing places that will allow for some travelling before that? I was looking at crossing out at least one of my bucket list cities (Vienna, Paris, Venice) before travelling to the Alps via train(?). I do know they are all over the place though. Confused
- ..Or... anyone picking up a stray in March? Very Happy

Appreciate your help, guys!! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Action-Outdoors.co.uk they are the UK agent for UCPA.

They do not provide transfers though.

UCPA is a brilliant way to ski the best slopes cheaply, it's a great way to meet people and it's the best value ski trip I've done.

They do a beginner course, last year all these people were skiing by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bradlex, they do offer transfers, at least when you book through Action Outdoors. They are not included in the price, but are available as an add-on. It's on the booking page under 'travel options' when you select a holiday to book.

@eniq, I also recommend UCPA for you. Action Outdoors have always been very helpful and responsive when I've contacted them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for UCPA.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Bradlex, Gämsbock and pam w! How would a clubmed stay in sapporo compare? I am looking at less coventional places as well, like Bulgaria (cheap but transfers to get there is nightmarish)... but reviews here have trashed it?

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure where Sapporo is. I found a Club Med Sahoro in Japan, is that what you meant? If so, I don't know the resort at all, but Club Med describes it as a small, family resort, so I'm not sure there would be many other single travelers there, whereas at a UCPA there would be lots. But a Club Med would offer much more luxurious accommodation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did my first UCPA trip by myself to Chamonix and had an awesome time! UCPA is one of the cheapest options with everything included. Organising your own transfers is easy enough with a bit of research online or ask here when you know which UCPA centre you want to go to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can recommend HOFNAR, and if you're looking at March they have specific beginners weeks on the 7th and 21st so you wouldn't be the only beginner in the group/would probably be in ski school with some of the other guests.

With HOFNAR you're paying for your bed (in a twin or tripple room), breakfast, 4 evening meals (the group eat out the others), all drinks and ability to raid the fridge at will. The chalet host will also be on hand to show you around and usually join you for lunch after your ski school and ski with you in the afternoon.

How you get there is up to you but if you fly to Geneva they can arrange transfers (Ski-Lifts) for £55.

If you can ice skate then you should find skiing easier to pick up as a lot of the balance/weight transfer is very similar (so my ice hockey playing and skiing friend tells me).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On action outdoors website transfers are an option on some centres but not all. The like of bens bus is good for Tignes/val disere and val thorens. And Alti bus does most others although more expensive. You can also get bus from London if you're going there anyway. Ucpa are great value and great tuition and hire and full board all in price
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also. I found action outdoors very easy to deal with over phone and if you quote online or on phone SP2015 you get extra £10 off.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(I can't figure how to do the name bolding thingie)
Originally, I thought Action Outdoors and UCPA are the same - one just has a better website. But yes! You are right. AO has replied incredibly fast and is very approachable! My email to UCPA might still be in cyberspace... Laughing

Gämsbock: Yes, it is Sahoro. I heard it was good! (and also that it has powder snow, but a newbie won't know any better!)

SpeedySydney: How was Chamonix? I am looking at Chamonix, Flaine, Val Thorens, Les Arcs, Serre Chevalier... I know, I know, it really seemed like I didn't do much narrowing but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Snowsure, not crowded, good for beginners... That's it.

Mjit: Hofnar gave a quick response too, but looking at the cost (after budgeting GBP 150 for meals?), it is prohibitive, and just SGD 100 cheaper than ClubMed in Les Deux Alpes (w/o transfer). Have you gone with Hofnar? I have been scratching my head over the ice skating -> skiing, and skateboarding-> snowboarding skill transference issue. Snowboarding looks cooler but... what's the chance that I'll board like a whizz on snow as opposed to land? Any clue, anyone? Very Happy sounds improbable Very Happy

SPeachmaus: David from AO has been amazing. There seems to be transfers for the UCPA Centres I'm looking at but I've just bookmarked it JIC! And thanks for the quote! If only AO has got a youth discount of 50 bucks like UCPA, though!

Uh... with so much help, will it hurt to ask a silly question? Don't judge... I'm acrophobic and only recently learnt to cross overhead bridges (flyovers/overpass) on my own Embarassed ... had to grip my guide's hand to get off a 2,000m volcano... Will it look the same (scary) from a snowy mountain? Embarassed If it does... I should go to a less steep mountain or something? Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eniq, to add a name just click on Sh name on left collum. Shame action outdoors don't do student discount. Have you tried phoning the Center you are looking at? Or the main booking line. I'm sure they will speak English.
As for you're phobia I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm usually too busy chatting to lift/gondola companions, especially if you're in lesson group, to worry about it. Just don't do the up and over between tignes and val disere until you're ready it's a bit of a roller coaster (well a slow one)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@speachmaus, ah! I did it! it's in bold!
I was munching raisins until I read the part that...

Quote:

it's a bit of a roller coaster (well a slow one)

*gulps* I'm sure I won't slip hm. Skullie

Nope, haven't decided on a centre. I keep telling myself March is about 3 months away and not be impulsive. >.< Or do people start booking now?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eniq, AO are selling holidays in UCPA centres.

Club Med will be a heap more expensive. If you really, really, suck at skateboarding I'd say that snowboarding might not be for you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes @pam w, is right action outdoors is the English language/uk partner site for ucpa.
Once you've experienced a few lifts you'll be fine
ski holidays
For March you should be fine with some of the higher resorts but if you decide on one in particular I would book it soon. You could wait until last minute but spaces might be full and flights more expensive
snow report
speachmaus wrote:
@eniq,... I'm usually too busy chatting to lift/gondola companions, especially if you're in lesson group, to worry about it. Just don't do the up and over between tignes and val disere until you're ready it's a bit of a roller coaster (well a slow one)

^^ Isn't it just! I was one of said companions when we did this on last years PSB, and it certainly is...errm,... interesting and unique in my experience! Cool
latest report
@speachmaus, @scubadancer, the Leissieres Express chairlift isn't it? Yeah, definitely one not to do if you're acrophobic! Stunning views going over however! Youtube videos abound Smile

@eniq, it's worth noting that Japan (in terms of cost of expenses i.e. ski passes etc) is slightly cheaper compared to Europe. So if it's cheaper to fly to Japan, may be worth a having a look. Can't comment on tuition.

As for where to go - for a total beginner, I doubt the choice of place really matters as long as there's snow. You won't get anywhere very fast Smile The quality of the tuition should be your priority.
latest report
Mrdini wrote:
@speachmaus, @scubadancer, the Leissieres Express chairlift isn't it? Yeah, definitely one not to do if you're acrophobic! Stunning views going over however! Youtube videos abound Smile

You guys have got guts Very Happy It was like a roller coaster in slow motion and I got sweaty palms from just the YouTube vid! Probably will stick to the baby slope eh. Neutral

Quote:
@eniq, it's worth noting that Japan (in terms of cost of expenses i.e. ski passes etc) is slightly cheaper compared to Europe. So if it's cheaper to fly to Japan, may be worth a having a look. Can't comment on tuition.

As for where to go - for a total beginner, I doubt the choice of place really matters as long as there's snow. You won't get anywhere very fast Smile The quality of the tuition should be your priority.

Yep, an airfare to Japan is heaps cheaper from where I am - at least $500 lower? It also takes me 15 to 19 hours to go to Paris from here as compared to Sapporo (10 to 16 hours) *faints* I was looking at Rusutso Resort, Club Med, Kiroro etc, but Europe draws me in with the prospect of travelling... Very Happy Can I safely assume that if there is a ski resort, the tuition will be of good quality?

@pam w, that silly, defiant bone in me is tempted to do snowboarding. Just to show that faceplants hurt less on snow than floor. Very Happy

I'm pretty much decided on UCPA, just need to decide on which one, how to get there, and all that planning. Shocked Must I go take an AO UCPA transfer from Geneva? Can I go take a train or any other transfers and end up at the UCPA centre? Having options would give more flexibility to the itinerary, which currently has huge blanks.
ski holidays
@eniq, if you're price-sensitive, not sure what you'd gain out of arranging your own transfers - in my past experience, AO transfers tends to be fairly well priced.

If it's more about flexibility, its worth noting that Geneva airport (where the transfers usually start/end at) is just a short train ride away from the city of Geneva and the rest of Switzerland.
ski holidays
@eniq, yes, you'll be able to get to all those resorts using other transfer companies, at least from Geneva. Can you get a flight to Geneva to arrive on Saturday? If so, the rest is easy - just book your transfer with AO and they'll take you straight to your chosen UCPA.
snow conditions
Mrdini wrote:
@eniq, if you're price-sensitive, not sure what you'd gain out of arranging your own transfers - in my past experience, AO transfers tends to be fairly well priced.

If it's more about flexibility, its worth noting that Geneva airport (where the transfers usually start/end at) is just a short train ride away from the city of Geneva and the rest of Switzerland.

It's about flexibility - I wanted to go around Paris/Lyon for a bit before going to Geneva, if at all necessary... It's also because flights to Paris have a shorter stopover! Very Happy I'm considering going to Austria after UCPA or summat. Eurail spoils people for choices.

Gämsbock wrote:
@eniq, yes, you'll be able to get to all those resorts using other transfer companies, at least from Geneva. Can you get a flight to Geneva to arrive on Saturday? If so, the rest is easy - just book your transfer with AO and they'll take you straight to your chosen UCPA.

Wanted to stop elsewhere to poke my nose into places and get over my potential jetlag. Paris and Geneva are 7 hours behind. Alternatively, I can go straight to Geneva with a long flight and spend my first days stoned. Cool Crossing fingers for a Paris/French city + UCPA + Geneva + unknown nearby country itinerary. I can actually do Geneva + Lyon + Paris + nearby country/French cities too. Decisiveness isn't my strongest point >.<

Would you guys suggest getting the snow clothes/goggles online or after arriving? Sorry, plenty of questions here (I might be taking advantage of your generosity so let me know when I'm pushing it!) NehNeh
latest report
@eniq, no problem all questions considered. I would imagine coming from Asia ski wear/goggles etc would be cheaper your end. And you don't want to waste time looking for stuff once you're here. If luggage allows get stuff before you arrive.
ski holidays
@eniq, If you haven't already seen this, it's worth having a look at http://seat61.com/Switzerland.htm#London%20to%20Geneva (for information on how to get to Geneva from Paris).

Also I have a feeling you'll be interested in http://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm as well.
latest report
Hi. Singlesport has a trip to Courchevel on 14 March. Ski lessons are inclusive with skivo2 a British ski school and they organise transfers from Geneva, Chambery or Moutiers.
snow report
why not skip Geneva and catch a train from Paris to a station near the resort of your choice (ie Bourg St Maurice for Tarantaise resorts)
ski holidays
@speachmaus, I am from the tropical part of Asia, just a couple inches away from the equator so I have no luck with snow wear here. Very Happy Probably getting from Amazon! (Altho I worry over the fit of goggles over my non-existent nose bridge) Laughing And luggage... I have no clue what to pack yet!
@Mrdini, I saw seat61! It was really helpful but I wonder if air travel would be better? But considering that I can actually sightsee/sleep on trains... Very Happy Thanks for the link!
@skigirl21, I have Singlesport in my list of comparison, and it is shortlisted too. I see that the rooms are filling up! Thanks!
@kioksor, Would the train stations be close to the the resorts? I don't drive... Little Angel If yes, then I think train would be a good option!

Sorry to bump this up, but there might be a couple more questions like...
- Would it be possible to do a 3-week backpacking + skiing/snowboarding? (-> would skiing/snowboarding take a lot of energy and thus I should plant it at the start of the trip?)
- Is it possible to fit all the snow clothes and normal winter clothes in a backpack? A wheeled luggage might be good but I read that the train stations don't come with escalators. But, I am 155cm (5'1"), and not sure how big/heavy the backpack will end up being.

Cheers all!
snow report
@eniq, I just noticed on action outdoors website that you can hire clothing, goggles, gloves etc. it is trough a different company the link is on th AO website so I guess if you went with different co you could still hire gear. I think it would get delivered to a uk address but I didn't open the link but might be worth a try especially as you may never need warm clothing again http://www.expeditionkithire.co.uk/ is the link.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys,

Not sure if you've found anywhere yet, but take a look at AdventureBASH. Great trips, 4 star accommodation without breaking the bank. We've got trips running in January, February and March. You can find out more at www.adventurebash.com. We can organise everything in resort including transfers, lift passes and equipment hire.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy