Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. Are there any RA suffering Snowheads still able to ski out there?
I became ill late last autumn and was virtually housebound until being diagnosed in February this year. I’ve almost finished the course of steroids started then, and began taking methotrexate in May. By March I was able to walk normally again (if rather wobbly!), and started going for longer walks in June and cycling in July. I’ve been given the go-ahead to try and ski this season. I’m starting to get fit again but it is an uphill struggle and at the moment I have no idea how much mobility I’ll have – I have joint damage in one foot and shoulder, with varying degrees of pain in feet, ankles, knees, wrists, hands, elbows, shoulders and jaw.
Anyone else been here and have any suggestions for home-based low impact exercise routines? At the moment I can cycle a max of 15km and walk for a couple of hours, but do have long spells (weeks) of severe fatigue which prevent me doing anything at all.
Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have my sympathy RA is a nasty illness. I don`t have arthritis but have just been diagnosed with completely 'knackered' ligaments in my hips (medical terminology Smile and I am awaiting a written report) I have been told I need to do an hour a day of low impact exercise to strengthen the muscles which have to do the work of the ligaments.

I was told, cycling (and am in the process of getting one of those little ones you can use whilst watching tv) pilates (I have bought a video to work from whilst trying to find a class) and aquacise (no option for most of us to do that at home!). Of the latter I am managing to fit in 3 classes a week at present which is not always easy. Walking is a no no and I have not dared to tell my consultant I am going skiing. Apparently any falls are likely to make the ligaments snap! Sad I will ski very carefully Smile

I hope some one else comes along soon with a better insight into RA and what you need to do and I hope you continue to improve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stella, my sister in law had RA for many years before taking up skiing. She loved it but sadly on her second trip she suffered a nasty leg fracture. It didn't heal well even after a bone graft and she reluctantly decided that because of that, rather than the RA she couldn't risk skiing again.

Might be good to arrange a holiday where you have alternatives to skiing and not get too tired. If you are competent you don't need to be very fit to ski gently with plenty of stops. Strong leg muscles are more important.

Good luck....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have psoriatic arthritis, which I realise is nowhere near as serious as RA, but I do wake up every morning with pain and stiffness. I find that the more I move, the better I feel. A day at work (sitting at a computer or drawing board) leaves me in a fair bit of pain, but light activities such as walking and skiing make me feel much better. I do a bit of pilates at home with a DVD and I try to go for a swim once a week, both seem to help.

Good luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Stella,

I can't comment on low impact exercise. But as for the skiing part, would suggest from my experience limiting impact as far as you can at least to begin with to see how you go.

For some reason, RA would only flare slightly in my ankles after a week's skiing once I got home. Thankfully I do not seem to have any issues now. I think with everyone it will depend on which joints have been impacted most as it seems every RA sufferer is somewhat different.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs A had RA in her teens - splints, gold injections, all sorts. When she went to uni she was so disgusted by the food in hall she ended up eating veg in her room. RA went away. Back home at Xmas with all the trimmings and RA came back. Back in hall on her frugal diet and it went away again. After a few experiments she discovered it was meat and hasn't eaten any since. We wonder if the stress hormones are left in the animals after they are slaughtered.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it rings any bells.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stella wrote:
Hello all. Are there any RA suffering Snowheads still able to ski out there?
I became ill late last autumn and was virtually housebound until being diagnosed in February this year. I’ve almost finished the course of steroids started then, and began taking methotrexate in May. By March I was able to walk normally again (if rather wobbly!), and started going for longer walks in June and cycling in July. I’ve been given the go-ahead to try and ski this season. I’m starting to get fit again but it is an uphill struggle and at the moment I have no idea how much mobility I’ll have – I have joint damage in one foot and shoulder, with varying degrees of pain in feet, ankles, knees, wrists, hands, elbows, shoulders and jaw.
Anyone else been here and have any suggestions for home-based low impact exercise routines? At the moment I can cycle a max of 15km and walk for a couple of hours, but do have long spells (weeks) of severe fatigue which prevent me doing anything at all.
Many thanks

Most of the people i have ever met who have suffered with RA have been very resilient and determined individuals. Its a tough disease to live with.

Use the medication to keep it at bay as this reduces the risk of damage to joints.

I would suggest that a goal of getting onto skiis is certainly not unrealistic.

There may be some difficulties with boot fitting if your feet have been badly affected, also some joints can change shape or alignment.

In answer to the question how to get fit: there is evidence that the fatigue can benefit from excercise. Load bearing exercise will be really good for your bone health.

Ideally you will need some one to guide you taking into account your symptoms but in general i would suggest that you gradually try to increase your cardiovascular exercise ( which seems to be already underway). This will help with stamina. Then start a strength program but start at the level of load/ weight/ reps that fatigue the muscles. You don't need a different type of program , just one tailored to your current strength and condition. It will probably turn out that your starting point is lower than average but thats fine. You may also find that because of fatigue your will have to progress more slowly than others.

Resist the temptation to just go for it and go for a huge burst of exercise as this will be unhelpful.

Im sorry to keep appearing to plug our program but it is very well evidenced and just needs to be adjusted for your capability ie. you need to reduce the level of load ie reduce reps/weights and intensity. Have a look https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics. It started on 1st Oct.

Slow and steady with regular gradual progressions are the secret to success. If you have any questions pm me.

Please let me know if it was helpful

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My sister in law is certainly determined and resilient. She loved the skiing she did. Such a shame she broke her leg. She said if she'd been in less pain she'd have enjoyed the helicopter ride across New Zealand.... She didn't use poles because she found them too painful for her hands.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wise words from @Jonathan Bell,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for the replies and in particular such a detailed response from @Jonathan Bell, I shall go off and have a read and a ponder (and a short cycle ride) and report back in due course.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Time for a quick update.
I’ve continued walking briskly for a couple of hours on uneven and steep surfaces several times a week, although cycling has largely stopped (too cold/wet). Exercise has still been very patchy and inconsistent, a mixture of straight (floor) and bent (on table) leg lifts, slow low squats, and balancing exercises – progressed from on the ground to standing on a cushion. CV is much better, especially the recovery time.
I tried on my boots (Atomic Hawx 100w) and they still fit like gloves. Indeed my feet were so comfortable I considered wearing the boots in bed which is when my feet are most painful. Strangely Mr S said no! rolling eyes And then I went skiing. Two hours up at La Mongie just before the Christmas holiday. I bimbled around the blues, did nothing aggressive and it was wonderful. I was knackered by the end and my knees were very sore at the front under the kneecap, but best of all there was absolutely no pain the next day, in joints or muscles.
I’ve made massive progress in the last month or so and for three weeks have been almost pain free, the first time since October 2013, but still have spells of overwhelming fatigue. 2015 should be a better year than 2014 which sucked!
Happy New Year Snowheads and thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Stella, great to hear. Keep it up and have wonderful 2015.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Stella, brilliant! Happy New Year!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Stella, fabulous news. Skiing does wonders for my pain also.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stella wrote:
Time for a quick update.
I’ve continued walking briskly for a couple of hours on uneven and steep surfaces several times a week, although cycling has largely stopped (too cold/wet). Exercise has still been very patchy and inconsistent, a mixture of straight (floor) and bent (on table) leg lifts, slow low squats, and balancing exercises – progressed from on the ground to standing on a cushion. CV is much better, especially the recovery time.
I tried on my boots (Atomic Hawx 100w) and they still fit like gloves. Indeed my feet were so comfortable I considered wearing the boots in bed which is when my feet are most painful. Strangely Mr S said no! rolling eyes And then I went skiing. Two hours up at La Mongie just before the Christmas holiday. I bimbled around the blues, did nothing aggressive and it was wonderful. I was knackered by the end and my knees were very sore at the front under the kneecap, but best of all there was absolutely no pain the next day, in joints or muscles.
I’ve made massive progress in the last month or so and for three weeks have been almost pain free, the first time since October 2013, but still have spells of overwhelming fatigue. 2015 should be a better year than 2014 which sucked!
Happy New Year Snowheads and thanks again Very Happy

It's great to hear how you have managed.

Keep setting small incremental goals in 2015.

You'll no doubt have the odd set back, just read your post for encouragement when you do.

Jonathan Bell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy