Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting a train to Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

I'm considering a trip to Bourg St Maurice, for skiing in La Plagne at easter. I have a couple of questions, as I don't really know what I'm doing;

1) What is the appartment scene like there? Any recommendations? I've seen a few on ownersdirect quite cheaply- is that a good place to find such lets?
2) Is there a train from London to BSM? Really asking a lot, but is there one without any (or too many) changes? How straight forward is it to use and what sort of cost would we be looking at (2 adults, 2 kids)?

Many thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@faithsdaddy, if you do a search you will find lots of threads on the train options to BSM - the most recent one from a few days ago is here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2599905&highlight=eurostar#2599905
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@faithsdaddy, there is a direct train (no changes, minimal stops) from London to Bourg Saint Maurice at weekends in the ski season - either Friday night or Saturday day-time going down, Saturday day-time and Saturday night coming back.

There are plenty of apartments in La Plagne, although it's somewhat easier to get to Les Arcs via the train and funicular railway (bus required to La Plagne and some complications with the train stopping at Aime or not on the way back).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@faithsdaddy, can't you drive?

I just priced up Easter (out 27th overnight direct and back 4th April) for 2 adults, 2 kids and it comes in at £1,018 (cheapest it will ever get). Even with crossing, tolls, petrol, breakdown cover it's got to be cheaper. And it's door to door, etc. Don't get me wrong I've done the train 3 times years ago before kids and it's a great crack and a great way to travel. But I can't see it working cost wise and practicality wise with 2 adults, 2 kids.

If however, you have other reasons for training it, please ignore the above. Apart from the cost of course which I presume helps.

I can also recommend Les Coches as a great place to stay, plenty of reasonable apartments, handy for hitting both sides of the Vanoise Express and good local skiing should the weather be dicky.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

1) What is the appartment scene like there? Any recommendations? I've seen a few on ownersdirect quite cheaply- is that a good place to find such lets?

According to the La Plagne web site http://laplagne.for-system.com/z1136e1_index_a_uk-self-catering-accomodation.aspx? there are 914 apartments for 4 people available for the week commencing 28/3/15.

As Layne, says the train is a very expensive way to travel to the alpes. If you do not use the direct London to Bourg service then normally you will require changes in London and Paris. Unfortunately these involve changing stations which I envisage is not always a pleasant experience with ski equipment and children.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh man, over a grand. Sheesh, I thought it would be a little over half that.

What sort of drive is it to BSM? I've got a caravan which we could use, so would the roads be ok for towing it there?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The drive to Bourg is pretty easy - Motorway all the way to Albertville, dual carriageway to Moutiers, then mellow, flat single-carriageway to Bourg, which is only at 800m altitude. Especially at Easter, it would be very unlikely that you'd have any issues driving into Bourg. There are also a couple of campsites in town - Le Versoyen is pretty good and very close to the funicular.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A caravan? Are you serious? Four people in a caravan in the alps for a week?

I've got a donkey with three legs, do you think it would make it there okay?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year we took the Eurostar to Paris (changed from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon) and took the TGV to BSM. It cost approx £130pp London to BSM Return. It was a great way to travel and the change of stations in Paris really wasn't a big deal, though with kids you might not want the hassle. The atmosphere on the train was great - full of french skiers and families who brought wine and picnics for the journey.

This year we're taking the sleeper option and have booked using Rail Cantebury who were very helpful and took the pain out of booking French trains.

When you consider the hassle of flying and the cost of transfers, parking etc I don't see either of the above as being vastly more expensive than flying. But it's each to there own, for us taking the train is a fun way to travel and the sleeper train gets you an extra day on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@faithsdaddy, We took a large twin axle caravan on ski holidays for many year towing to BSM and to other higher resorts with much worse roads! @sanman, with 5 of us!

We also put up an awning most of the time as it gives a lovely transition area between outside and inside in cold/snowy half term conditions. Its also a great place to sit out in on warm sunny Easter days if you are around at lunch time.

The big issue these days is the amount that fuel costs! Not so many years back it was a really cheap way to go skiing and some years we managed 3 trips when otherwise it would have been just one! Bearing in mind fuel costs then driving and renting an apartment in Bourg St Maurice may well work out cheaper.

I really did enjoy the luxury and freedom of just having the caravan prepped all winter and just being able to dash off!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

A caravan? Are you serious? Four people in a caravan in the alps for a week?

Why on earth not? Many people spend entire winter seasons in one... often in bodged camper vans...

Bourg Saint Maurice in April is usually pleasantly warm and sunny. Most of the skiing in the valley is 1000m+ higher up...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@faithsdaddy, as @Bradlex posted: if you go for the fun route of Eurostar to Paris and then change to Gare Lyon, you can train to Aime La Plagne for a lot less than the direct Eurostar. If you get in early, Eurostar is £70 return, and SNCF about the same.
The change at Paris is no hassle: no worse than changing stations by tube in London.
I've done this route with kids. No problem. But if worried, then take a taxi: about 15 euros.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey @sanman, how much for the donkey?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A caravan? Are you serious?

Quote:

Why on earth not?

I feel as if I have entered some sort of parallel universe. I know people do stay in caravans in the mountains, particularly that hardy breed we might refer to as "seasonnaires" (or ski bums). But a family of four? With all the gubbins that a week's ski holiday necessitates? I would, absolutely, seriously, rather stay at home and sleep in my own garage for a week.

I'm sure this will unleash a torrent of abuse on me. Feel free. You won't change my mind.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lol @sanman, no abuse from me, each to their own. I thought my husband was stark raving bonkers when he first suggested it but soon became a convert! All the clothing kit was ready stored in the caravan, skis ready to pop in to roof box and off you go when you want and very importantly where you want.

We each had our own comfy bed ready made for overnight stops enroute) central heating, hot water, loo, shower (not that we used it because the site facilities were always so good) cooking facilities etc.

We often chose to stay at a site with indoor pool, and or next to a skating rink, always with easy access to snow, one year really ski in ski out at least for energetic teenage boys! All the sites had good drying and ski storage facilities.

In the early years we did not see other British families but met plenty of Dutch, Germans and French. The last couple of times we went we did meet more British campers though.

Given the choice of spending time in your garage @sanman, or time in our caravan in the beautiful Alps doing some skiing my decision would be easy lol
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier Can you tell me more about your caravanning experience to BSM? How long/ far, how much, etc. Also, what was it like doing it? Is it easy, or were there any problems? Also, are there any other resorts you would also recommend driving/ caravanning too? Not just France.
snow report
@faithsdaddy, Not sure where to begin. Smile

Cost I can not really help you with as it is some years since we last took the caravan but there are various websites that will help you work out the likely fuel/toll charges and the camp sites all have lists of current fees.

Winter caravanning does require some thought. You must have properly insulated everything, especially your water tank/heater. In out first van we kept our aquaroll in the awning (a steep sloped awning is best as the snow falls off), on polystyrene ceiling tiles, insulated with a hot water tank cover all in a plastic bin bag. It worked just fine but the kettle was always filled the night before and kept inside in case of any frozen issues lol Forget a wastemaster and use an open bucket or bowl for grey water, you can not empty a frozen wastemaster! Keep a couple of small fan heaters on low when you are not in the van, one with a frost guard setting and then you do not risk things freezing in your absence.

I took my slowcooker, it cooked our food whilst we were out and emitted a little heat. When the boys were small they did not stay awake long enough to reliably go out after a days skiing and I found it very useful to either eat on the way back to the van or have something ready for as soon as we got back. A good door mat, preferably with a well that holds water, is essential for your door, to leave outside footwear easily accessible and keep the van dry.

We had 4 season sleeping bags, gas central heating (which I would not have on overnight so the electric heaters stayed on) and fan heaters. We could have survived with out electric hook up if we had to but with the exception of overnight stops enroute we never wanted to try!

Obviously you need snow chains for your tow vehicle.

If you have any other questions please ask!

In BSM we stayed a couple of times in http://www.leversoyen.com/#!/accueil, chosen because it was easy access to the funiculaire up to Les Arcs (our boys often walked it), with relatively short drives to Val D'Isere and La Rosiere. It was also very close to shopping and an indoor swimming pool. The site was still there last Christmas when we drove past to our apartment. It or possibly Samoens would give the best options to get high to snow should Easter conditions be poor for skiing.

Of other resorts? Les Contamines http://en.lescontamines.com/caravaneige-le-pontet.html we really enjoyed, Samoens (nearest to the ports and an easy drive) http://www.camping-samoens.com/ and Pralongnan La Vanoise (probably the most beautiful setting) http://www.camping-isertan.com/camping-pralognan/caravaneige.php all had easy access to skiing ie a short walk but the last one only in really good snow (there was a free shuttle though).

Grand Bornand http://www.campinglescale.com/en/ was a free navette or a short drive (difficult parking though) from the slopes but had the best pool complex.

We also stayed at a site near Bourg D'Oisans but the name and details escapes me at present and I would not recommend it for easy access to the slopes though we had a great time there!

In respect of elsewhere other than France we stayed one summer at a campsite in Gran, Austria, which was all set up for skiing in the winter, it had a lovely pool and private bathrooms. We always said we would go there one winter but never made it. rolling eyes

Should probably have said, from Calais the journey took 9 to 14 hours depending when or where we were going. For us it was often crossing late evening, drive till early hours, park up in large well lit motorway aire, start early and arrive at site later that day! Samoens we did more than once in one day on the way home!
snow report
Given the fuel cost, etc, would you still recommend caravaning as a cost effective/ fun way of skiing? What would you suggest?
snow report
We have skied with the caravan when the kids were younger, both in Scotland and in La Plagne (There is a site up the mountain above Plagne Centre if you are really brave). No problems if you prepare like CaravanSkier suggests, we used oil filled radiators and left them on 24/7. It got down to -21 in Aviemore and the door froze shut but a great holiday.

But to the question of economics for the Alps ? I dont think its cheaper to drive with a caravan than drive and stay in a small apartment. The cost of the van on the ferry/tunnel would probably pay for the apartment, let alone the extra fuel used.

If you dont fancy the risk of booking directly with owner, you can book with a UK acomodation only travel agent like Erna Low, they even have a resort rep. You can also book direct via the La plagne website or on the Pierre and Vacances home page.
latest report
I'm only looking at the caravan holiday because we're going to have to go at easter and I thought the costs wouldn't be much more than at a non- holiday time. As it is, I've a cringingly tight budget for a 3up hol in January Embarassed
ski holidays
@faithsdaddy, when you've worked out how and where ( wink ), we're all heading by train to BSM for Easter as well, so it would be good to meet up. We're a family of three - Arctic, Mrs and Mini Roll, but likely to have with us 6 - 8 others, of varying abilities and ages. Staying in Arc 1950 (comme d'habitude). We're down there from Easter Saturday (4th) until 18th April, so if you end up overlapping, send me a PM.

PS as above, Rail Canterbury are simply superb. Used them for years. Ask for Jacky.
snow report
@faithsdaddy, I`m afraid I am inclined to agree with @landlockedpirate, in respect of costs these days but my husband slightly disagrees. He thinks with an economical tow car it could still be cheaper to take the caravan.

Unless you are willing to journey by coach, driving (especially if you have a fuel efficient vehicle) works out cheaper generally for a family than any other mode of transport to get you to the mountains. Once you have a car with you you can stay a little way from the lifts in cheaper accommodation and go to and fro every day in the car.
latest report
A 4 bed apartment of 28m2 will cost about 450 euro in Plagne Bellecote for the week including good friday. Add in £400 for the drive in a fairly economic car, a lot for lift pass and lessons and you still have a fairly cheep holiday. But don't forget about car parking in the resort.
latest report
johnE wrote:
A 4 bed apartment of 28m2 will cost about 450 euro in Plagne Bellecote for the week including good friday. Add in £400 for the drive in a fairly economic car, a lot for lift pass and lessons and you still have a fairly cheep holiday. But don't forget about car parking in the resort.

You can park for free outside in Bellecote. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy