Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DRINK..?

Poster: A snowHead
I can't be thirsty or hungry on the hill so always take coke cola in my pack. I want the sugar hit when tired but a friend of mine suggests there are better supplements.

I'm happy with my reasoning but any ideas ...??

Beer is a total no for me when skiing..afterwards is a different matter, of course... Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Warm water in a flask with a couple of sugar cubes and a pinch of salt dissolved. Tastes rank but pretty good rehydration and cheap/free. Mmmmm.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, Drop the Coke...it's nasty stuff, and can dehydrate you, by virtue of the amount of fluid that the body takes to process it AFAIK. A gentle squash might be better for you, made from diluted fruit juice and water, together with an energy bar to munch. wink yummy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rather radical I know, but what about Water!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When we ski with our kids we carry water and Mars bars, it does the trick. I always tuck a few sweets into my pockets, just incase we get stuck on a cold chairlift and need cheering up. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good hillwalking recipe - fresh orange juice mixed with water (about 1/3rd OJ to 2/3 water) and a pinch of salt (which helps the body to hydrate effectively the liquid)

Makes effectively lucozade, but for pennies!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still energy drink like Powerade. The blue one and the white one are nice! Can't remember the flavours tho lol!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny,

Interesting about Coke dehydrating ...!!

I always drink when we stop and I liked the sugar idea..
Might need to research this more.

eddyr,
Thats the kind of reasoning I'm after
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that one mole of glucose takes 6 moles of water to metabolise, so the Coke dehydration theory may have some basis in fact...perhaps a biochemist will be able to confirm this? I certainly take water and chocolate, but if the ratio of chocolate:water is too high, this may be no better than Coke!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plake wrote:
I think that one mole of glucose takes 6 moles of water to metabolise, so the Coke dehydration theory may have some basis in fact...perhaps a biochemist will be able to confirm this? I certainly take water and chocolate, but if the ratio of chocolate:water is too high, this may be no better than Coke!

Best I could find is this.... it implies the molar comparison made shoudl actually be with oxygen and the process actually yields water...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/organic/sugar.html

Then I found the following which rather seems to imply that the dehydrating effect of sugar is from something other than the metabolism...

--Cellular dehydration - the hyperosmolar situation created outside the cell causes water to move out of the cells.
--Extracellular dehydration - osmotic diuresis occurs in that high levels of glucose in the urine prevent the tubular reabsorption of fluids in the body.
--"Circulatory Shock" - reduction in cardiac reserve as a result of cellular and extracellular dehydration.

.... whatever all that means Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AKAIK Flat coke is often used to rehydrate kiddies, most drinks do not dehydrate, its probably why we drink them snowHead .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surely the high amount of caffeine in the coke is what dehydrates you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

surely the high amount of caffeine in the coke is what dehydrates you.

Exactly

I'd favour water and mars bars.

Actually I'd favour:

a decent breakfast, water, a mid morning chocorum to loosen the legs and a heart-threating collesterol fest for lunch. seems to work for me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Flat coke is often used to rehydrate kiddies

But the caffeine hit can dehydrate them as well as perk them up a bit! Best stick with water (do you think the Orange Juice will stop it freezing in my Camelbac tube?) + rapidly absorbed calories - raisins are good, those little boxes. Fats are slower to absorb although give longer lasting energy burn, but more appropriate for trekking to the pole (or being an alpine farmer), than skiing between mountain restaurants
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I take water but as I dislike sweet stuff I am stuck as to what to take as a snack. At home I'll eat bananas - so long as they're not too ripe (ie not too sweet) but they tend to get battered in a ski bag. Any suggestions, anyone, for easy carry, non sweet but energy-giving snacks?
snow report
Dried apricots or bananas and nuts. We used to have a thing called trail mix when I started guiding which was a heap of dried fruit and nuts with no added salt. Use the drink as a salt source (flat coke can work although it is diaretic but this is exacerbated by the carbon dioxide and is a good cure for diarrhoea) and the fruit juice, water and a pinch of salt is a good way of doing it...

Personally, a pint of shandy (heavy on the lemonade) at lunchtime with a baguette and a gleuhwein mid afternoon seem to work a treat - oh and a bottle of water that always seems to be frozen when I need it!
latest report
I though coke given to kiddies was more as a tummy pH modifier than anything else....
snow conditions
Quote:

Dried apricots or bananas and nuts

I sometimes have nuts but dried fruit is really sweet and yucky. Someone please invent something else rolling eyes
ski holidays
buns, in simple terms it's Osmosis is what it's talking about - the movement of water from where it is in a high concentration to a place where it is of a low concentration.......................it's diffusion really but just thinking about water.

So if you have coke which is full of, in high concentrations, salt and sugar, and in comparison the bodies cells are of a lower concentration of these salts/sugars then there is an osmotic potential set up whereby water will want to move from the cell to the "coke" to try and balance it out. That is it in simple terms but there are many other factors that regulate water movement out of cells.

Therefore if you drink something that has a similar make up in terms of salt levels etc to the body, the theory is your body will absorb the water and replenish its self more rapidly.

Coke also contains caffeene which is a mild diuretic so can cause dehydration.

An ex-biochemist
ski holidays
I bought the Dakine Pro 2 with a 2 litre camelbac - I was in verbier last weekend and the temp was -27 - the camelbac was slushy at times but never totally frozen.
latest report
I'm no scientist, but I was heavily into health and nutrition for a long while.

The idea of warm water (easily absorbed by the body), a little salt and sugar (both also good in rehydrating the body) sounds good.

I always carry a Mars bar or something similar just incase...besides the facts its yummy (unless frozen!)

I'm not going to go into the fine details...but basically the perfect breakfast to eat before you hit the slopes would be Porrage - It's got an incredibly low release (low on the glycemic index) allowing the energy to be released for longer periods of time. It will also stop you getting blood sugar level spikes, which will often cause you to feel tired and hyperactive......

unfortuanately you are kinda limited to what good foods you can carry on the slopes (as in fresh produce) so i start looking at supplement style bars....

If all else fails, just get into a cafe and scoff yer face with whatever floats your boat Very Happy
snow report
We drink things containing water to rehydrate, coke will do this, The gas may make you belch a bit. Athletes both long and short distance often use caffeine a stimulant(legal) it has no significant dehydrating effect. Coke contains no salt at least diet coke doesn't I have just looked at the tin. Most people get more than enough salt in their food.
snow report
Ok, thanks to all, sounds pretty good and altho' there are better drinks, I quite like Coke on the slopes so as long as I am not too far away from a rest stop then I'll stick with it for a taste point of view.

My pack carries lots of choccy and sugar things as well...

If it were a day trip then I'd want something a bit more...
latest report
Thanks Dan... I guess then I had the rough idea in the first post I made. Presumably it is this way (as opposed to the salts moving in) because the cell isnt permeable to the salty sugary stuff? Am I to presume then that the loss through this attempted equilibriation is greater that that which is produced (as per my hyperphysics link) in the metabolism?

Please excuse my geeky interest..... I make no excuse, it's just me!
snow report
buns, Sugar is of no importance for most people osmotically once it is in the body as it is metabolised and the level kept constant.
If you want to improve the concentration gradient from gut to body you would drink pure water not something isotonic. You cannot keep your gut contents hypotonic you need to move gut contents in by active transport the sugar may help fuel this as may a little salt as it is cotransported which is why there is a huge market in these sport drinks, high level atheletes may benefit by absorbing that water a little faster. For most of us a balanced diet and reasonable amount of water in whatever form should suffice as our kidneys will sort things out pretty well.
ski holidays
As a diabetic - I have glucose gel sachets (runners/bikers style), packets of glucose tablets, flapjacks and muesli bars. Water or flask of oxo for drink, hip flask of sloe gin for fun snowHead
snow report
T Bar,

Ok, so for general bombing around most fluids and a decent lunch will suffice for most people, even though a ski holiday might be the most strenuous exercise they get all year.

Just a thought as most people I ski with don't seem to bother about food and drink as I do..
snow conditions
Use Diareeze or similar made very week, ie one sachet per 3-4 liters.

In summer after a long hot day make it up to normal consistancy, down it and then get straight on the beers!

Also i believe fructose is the most quickly absorbed sugar so if you want a hit then an apple does for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, If at all possible, keep the Coke as a "fun" drink. It's got some really nasty chemicals in it. Treat your body as a temple....good fuel in = performance out Very Happy Any snowHead use Coke to clean their coin collections?
latest report
As stated above flat (to remove acidity) coke has been used to rehydrate as it is more available than rehydrating solutions. One of the greatest medical advances was to realise that adding sugar and salt added to water saves lives in the case of life threatening diarrhoea (such as cholera). The trouble is that the caffeine does indeed dehydrate a bit thereby diminishing the effectiveness. Also Coke is short on potassium which things like diareeze have. Ideal therefore would be a slightly sweet drink with a banana. However 3 x cafe au lait, 1-2 x cote du rhone and a about a litre of water per skiing day works for me Very Happy .
snow conditions
JT,
I profess no expertise in sports nutrition, but read a bit about it when I wanted to do a fair bit of exercise in a hot climate, from my readings:

A) There is a lot of interindividual variation so any findings for the majority may not apply to you, if you find something that works stick with it.
B) There are a lot of differences between different sports and in different climates so what may work in some situations may not work in others.
C) If you lose a lot of water you will be better off replacing it
D) For prolonged exercise topping up on carbohydrates may help.
E) Caffeine probably helps exercise endurance and has little if any significant effect on overall hydration staus during sport.
F) Salts other than for prolonged exercise in warm temperatures are not very important,(In prolonged exercise when it is hot they are important).
G) Potassium in normal diets need not be supplemented.
H) Fructose is absorbed more slowly than standard sugars which may be a help.
I) Standard dietary recommendations work pretty well for most sports.

Personally I don't like coke very much and would think the bloating from the gas may restrict how much you drink but it has water, sugar and caffeine in it all of which have been demonstrated to be useful so if it works for you why not stick with it.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
JT, If at all possible, keep the Coke as a "fun" drink. It's got some really nasty chemicals in it. .... Any snowHead use Coke to clean their coin collections?

I believe the metal cleaning effect is due to the phosphoric acid Shocked contained in Coke. Prolonged use may have a similar surface stripping effect on dental enamel Toofy Grin
snow report
Alastair Pink,
Quote:

I believe the metal cleaning effect is due to the phosphoric acid contained in Coke. Prolonged use may have a similar surface stripping effect on dental enamel

Shocked I hope that JT, reads this Laughing , then chooses another sort of drink to carry when skiing!
snow report
snowbunny,

I'm not that fussed about coke, just find it ok to carry in my pack as it tastes a bit more interesting than water and its easy and cheap...

Now thats a line that can be taken out of context... Laughing
ski holidays
JT,
Quote:

more interesting than water and its easy and cheap...

Now thats a line that can be taken out of context...

That would never happen on snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
I take water........

Since when Shocked

I've only ever seen you with half a lager in hand wink
snow report
spyderjon,

And you with 2 pints...... Laughing
ski holidays
JT, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy