Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some questions on becoming a snowboard instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys, I am trying to get into one of the insturctor courses in Canada to get CASI level 1&2. Yet I don't have a solid grasp on the subject so I'd like to shoot some questions like
which place or company would you recommend me to take the course? (I am thinking those 11 week-long courses, quite expensive though :/ )
about how much money would a level 2 CASI instructor make a month?
would my 4 weeks of snowboarding experience be enough to give it a go?
any other suggestions/reminders?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure why you'd want to use a company, specifically. Not that I know, but I think they're just basically long package holidays with a badge at the end.

- If you can't ride, then you can learn through a company like this, but you could do that other ways for less money.
- If you can ride, then you can learn how to teach (a different thing) quicker and for less money.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ada, Yup, looking at a European course the companies charged over £4000 for a couple of months, or you could organise a 11 day course and exam yourself for approx £800 with accommodation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig, I can do reds easily and some blacks as well, also taught to my ex gf and brother, but just these wouldn't be enough for the certificate I guess, no?
Scarpa, Yeah, I was thinking to do something like that in Europe but then as I e-mailed with some of the companies that give these courses, they told me CASI is more internationally accepted than BASI, thus I changed my aim.
Thanks guys ^^
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are, of course, going to tell you CASI is more internationally recognised. This is a very dubious claim. In North America and the Southern Hemisphere, maybe. In Europe, no, definitely not.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there are some BASI people here who could help with that. CASI works in North America at least.

ada Yeah, no disrespect intended there, just saying that those courses aren't the cheapest way to learn to ride well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, I see, thanks for the heads up
philwig, I know, I was just asking to learn more, I am open to any kind of advice/information that I can gather
Thanks guys
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ada, If you just want to get better, get a resort job for a season. Or spend your money on renting/sharing an apartment and doing odd jobs in resort. Riding every day for 3 months will vastly improve your technique, even more so if you take some lessons.

I'll stick my neck out and say you'll earn hardly any money as a snowboard instructor. Demand for snowboard instructors is a fraction of that for ski instructors. Around my way the schools generally don't employ any snowboard instructors; they cover snowboard lessons with dual ski/board instructors. If you do get a job, it will likely be a zero-hours type of contract, i.e. you'll only be paid for the hours you work, and you may not get many hours at all outside of a couple of peak weeks.

As for CASI/BASI/other etc. there are several threads on here, but the consensus seems to be 'get qualified where you intend to teach' - so BASI/European for Europe and CASI for Canada/USA. And to teach in Canada/USA you'll need a visa - of which there aren't very many.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see, thanks for the tip quinton,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quinton

i am going to disagree with you saying " Riding every day for 3 months will vastly improve your technique" although i did note you recommended lessons as well

riding will make your riding solid. but if you start with poor technique, and then practice that you will be come very good at being bad

Ada. where are you based? if your close to a dome/fridge in the uk there are multiple courses per year to get your Basi 1. i would personally go do that. then you will be in a good position to know if its the career choice for you or not. by far the majority of people who pass instructor courses never go into teaching. they just do it to improve their riding

Mini
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can recomend the BASI 1 course Id been ridding for six yeas at least 2 weeks a year + dome time but my boarding improved no end bearing in mind im 48 in december
am now a level 1 instructor I think that basi is considered a harder route but just my opinion more worth while
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mini.mansell, I think that we're agreeing - the OP has only done 4 weeks so far, so 3 months should see him make vast improvements. I recommend that he takes as many lessons as he can afford or blag - just repeating bad habits is not going to improve his technique.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am currently living in Turkey, but wanna get out of here, Canada is my dream place to live atm, getting some French lessons to help myself to grab a job there after having the qualifications, right now I'm thinking to go this blue tomato company to get some lessons, then I'll spend 2-3 months here on the mountain here in Turkey and next year I'm gonna try to qualify for CASI 1-2 hope it works, any suggestions on these plans?
Thanks a lot, your help is being really helpful
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ada, .

Probably best to learn skiing as well; as mentioned before much more demand for ski instruction. If you can do both then you will give yourself more options
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can echo the learn to ski comment. I'm currently doing a course through the Austrian system (Anwärter) who offer a dual qualification, so by the end of it, so long as all goes well, I'll be qualified to teach both. Opens up more in terms of job opportunities. I've a friend who only has BASI 2 in snowboard and has been looking for jobs in Europe this winter. He's been struggling to find anything as they all want the ski lvl2, which he doesn't yet have (only has lvl1).
snow report
Yeah, snowboard 2 only is harder to find jobs with (but not impossible). Dual-qualified or Snowboard 3/4 is in very high demand though.
snow report
@Sitter,
Can you give me a little bit insights here after you've finished the programme? Should I already start skiing then?
Thanks again folks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy