Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski this weekend? (glacier)

Poster: A snowHead
Austrian glaciers had a major snowfall around two weeks ago. Swiss ones are forecast to get a lot of snow in the next 2-3 days, and France is not far behind (with a lot less snow forecast to fall in Austria this time).

I have next Monday and Tuesday free and I'm planning to drive from Brussels with a friend for a 3.5-day season opener. We're flexible on the destination as nothing is booked yet.

I've skied before at Saas Fee and Tignes (but neither in early season, so couldn't really assess the extent of glacier skiing) and early season at Stubai and Hintertux, which were great. It seems to me that the Tignes glacier is a lot smaller than Stubai / Hintertux, but I could be wrong.

Where would you go in my place?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia/Zermatt!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Judging by the latest wePowder forecast, I'd wait as late as possible... Apparently there's potential for 5 metres of snow to fall in the Southern Alps in the next 12 days... Which would be catastrophic. Even if it stays too warm for snow, that amount of precipitation will likely cause serious problems.

Stubai and Hintertux are probably far enough south to pick up SOME freshies... Probably Hintertux has the better base.

Depending on just how this plays out we're thinking about heading south and touring somewhere next weekend, but that's massively dependant at this stage!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm off to Kaprun for a week from this coming weekend. Kitzstienhorn glacier had the heavy snowfall as you say around 12 days ago, and there is more due there this Wednesday and Thursday apparently. Slopes open down as far as the alpincentre midstation so I've read...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd leave it to the last minute then decide, won't be an issue getting somewhere to kip this time of the yera!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can report that Saas Fee is in excellent condition.

lots of snow expected in the next couple of days
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horizon, Hintertux is in good shape as is Stubai and the Öztal and Pitztal glaciers. Base yourself in Innsbruck for the day and see where you can play! The forecasts are not too bad at the moment. However if you head towards the areas currently predicted to be dumped on this week, you may end up not skiing at all because the access uplift is closed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pitztal could be a good idea - Hoji made it look fun, at least. I've never skied there before so couldn't show you around this time, but I'd be up for joining you for a day or two there!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am going to Hintertux on Sunday 9th returning Friday 14th. Looking OK/good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like we'll have some decent snow no matter where we go. I'm waiting for the snow reports tomorrow and deciding then - let's hope we still find some accommodation but we can drive so not a major issue. I'll then PM the people above who are / may be in the area, would be good to meet up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, Currently it is blowing a hooley down here with a really strong Föhn storm giving us dry warm conditions but gale force winds. Some gusts have me ducking as it sounds like my roof will go! Shocked Should break soon (later today or tomorrow) and snow is being forecast for Thursday/Friday. Toofy Grin Sadly still banned from skiing because I'm still rehabbing after rotator cuff reconstruction surgery in August.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saas Fee getting dumped on today and tomorrow...all lifts shut which is very annoying for me on a week of JJC training!

The JJC guys tell me that Saas Fee is much the best glacier skiing experience. More runs, more variety of terrain steepness, less crowded.

I have not been to any others except Tignes and IMHO it is a lot better than Tignes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rungsp, I've only been to Saas Fee and Tignes during proper winter - hard to compare glaciated areas based on skiing when the whole resort is open. But still, Tignes never seemed to me to have a lot of glacier runs (apologies to any Tignes lovers out there).

Stubai and Hintertux certainly have very decent terrain (size and variety) in November.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@horizon, I concur that Tignes doesn't have the biggest glacier area, it's fine for training but if your wanting to free ski around you have a limited area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the car now, on the way home from Stansted after 2 sunny days at Stubai and 1 at Hintertux. Had also planned on skiing this morning - but Tux was stormbound today.

Overall, conditions are excellent for early Nov and the extent of terrain open is pretty impressive. Conditions are mostly packed powder, with a few slick/bare ice bits to look out for. And the run down to the mid station at Stubai has a few rocks.

Despite very busy car parks on Sat & Sun, not too busy on the runs and Hintertux was very quiet yesterday. So a good time had by all.

We skied with Bergmeister when we were out there. He's on a road trip and has also been to Kaunertal, Pitztal and Soelden - with all being reported as excellent over the past week or so.
snow report
It's quite exciting that people are about to start their pre-season ski trips so soon! I think of the glaciers I've skied on, I'd put them in the following order; Hintertux, Kitzsteinhorn, Tignes, LDA. Not a very impressive tally!!
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, there's less than a month left of pre-season so they can't wait much longer!!
ski holidays
Quote:
Hintertux, Kitzsteinhorn, Tignes, LDA. Not a very impressive tally!!
Pretty impressive vs those who have never sampled the delights of skiing outside the main winter season wink.

I have skied all of the above (except LDA) out of season and would add that Kaunertal, Saas Fee, Pitztal, Soelden and Zugspitz glaciers are also worth a look.
snow report
Looks like Stubai after all, best combination of base, fresh snow and weather. Hard decision though, spoilt for choice!

clarky999, see you there!
snow report
@horizon, Sport Scheck are holding a massive Testival there this weekend - started today. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@horizon, sweet! I'll be there on Sat with a couple of guys from work. Are you with Costin again?

@Samerberg Sue, actually they were there when I skied with @horizon last year and tbh there were'nt really any crowds at all!
ski holidays
@clarky999, lucky you the last time I went it was on Pitztal and it was heaving! Sad
snow report
@Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

holding a massive Testival there this weekend

Am I the only one who misread that Shocked
snow report
@Kooky, wink Laughing
snow conditions
@clarky999, no, Costin couldn't make it so I'm coming with a Belgian friend.

Starting the drive in 6-7 hours, yoo hoo!
ski holidays
Saas Fee was closed Tues-Friday as they had over 3m of snow!
Needed to crawl a JCB all the way up the mountain to dig out the piste bashers.

Knackered the training week with JJC....but the weather makes the rules when it is like that.
ski holidays
@irie, just sent you a PM, we'll be in Hintertux from tonight until Tuesday afternoon, give me a call / txt if you want to share some turns.
snow conditions
Sue wins.... stubai was mega heeving all weekend Shocked why are the locals the worst drivers. ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geeo, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Listening to the local radio stations plug the damned thing endlessly was the give away! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@geeo, wasn't as bad as it sometimes gets, and not much worse than any early season weekend with clear weather... The only REALLY busy bits (Saturday anyway) where the pistes towards the middle station on the Fernau side and the usual bottleneck at the Rotadl chairlift. Offpiste wasn't too bad, other than the snow being totally atrocious..!

Pah, it's the German, Czech and Polish tourists who don't know the road up and can't drive it at the speed limit who cause problems!!
latest report
Well that was an interesting Hintertux baptism.

Walking to lift was puzzled by being passed by a constant stream of "PL" plated cars. Puzzled

Before got on the lift saw signs which said "Polish Powder Week". Ah, so that explains it.

Then when got to the top, went round the corner to put my skis on and ... got blown clean off my feet! Embarassed

Sorry Horizon, it was stupid windy I quit early and had a beer. Laughing
ski holidays
@irie, @horizon, yep, the Eastern Europeans can be out en masse in November, there is also a Hungarian weekend coming up. The Czechs, Poles and Ukrainians completely ignore any of the road rules, but then so do many of the Austrians as they use the Große and Kleine Deutsche-Ecke.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue Too right, the silly b*ggers congregate in big clumps on the brows in the middle of the piste. rolling eyes
snow report
No doubt there was a lot of eastern euros but none if any of them do 50km the whole way down the valley cos they only have a 45km journey ahead of them, at least this year they didn't all stop in the underpass before the steep hill to put their chains on for 2cm of slush Little Angel and Germans no nothing else than speeding just a bit by default, must be in their test.

Still wasn't as busy as a glenshee powder & sun day so was all good but the pistes were a bit mad and the off piste by sat/sun was done, fri was the best day and getting brand new boots/skis & goggles to try for 2+ hours is amusing
snow conditions
checking in to report a full ski day, even though at one point I felt as if I was being shot at with pellets.

Plus a proper Austrian apres-ski party in the Hoff-something. For my sins.

fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow. After today I can ski run 3 with my eyes closed. (not that keeping them open makes much difference).
snow conditions
"at one point I felt as if I was being shot at with pellets."

I've never had that before, it was weird!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy