Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A question about skins

Poster: A snowHead
I have noticed mine are nowhere near as adhesive as they use to be, and was wondering if there was anything I could use the get them stickier?
Do they have a life span? Is there anything I can slap on them to get them holding better? I am clueless.
Mine have done about 40 tours and are still in good nick apart from not sticking on my ski rolling eyes

After a tour I always hang them in a warm room to dry thoroughly, and use the backing paper to store them.

Any ideas? Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hubby had some uber sticky skins a couple of years back - I wonder what he used! Ange
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can reglue the skins.
Use something like:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Gold-Label-Skin-Glue.html?gclid=CI7a6Omu3MECFfHKtAodbzYAaA
for instance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowrider, thank you! That´s exactly what I need.

@flangesax, I don´t know, do you think it´s safe to ask him Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is how you do it

http://youtube.com/v/iE9WfpPbmjE
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, thanks for that link, it looks fairly idiot proof, even to me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kooky, I dunno - I just remember my maiden voyage at Wagrain and KB helping me and the skins sticking to everything insight before they found the skis! I will ask him - I really cant remember if its something he put on or they came like that! Ange
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@flangesax, I remember that! hahaha! Christmas eve wasn´t it?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kooky wrote:

The glue in tube works but is only really good for getting skins to stick while touring. You really need to remove the old glue in any case. Its stickiness soon wears off. The technique in the video won't restore your skins to "new" stickiness but is good for a season (well my season anyway, ymmv).

The best thing is to buy new skins Happy although I would personally recommend going glueless although even those don't last forever.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, great info , thank you.
About the glue less skins, I guess you are using them, I never heard of them before but when searching for a glue the Gecko Skins was thrown up in the search, is there much of a difference in the way they perform in comparison to the traditional ones?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In what respect?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kooky, it's easy enough (although it can be messy) to remove the old glue & replace it with new to re-vitalise your skins. Colltex do a good video re how:

http://youtube.com/v/_rdJNjjN7S0
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do they grip the snow in the same way? I have a really horrible habit of sliding backwards in the steeper parts, are they as "grippy" as traditional glued on skins? I know they are still anchored on at the front but it´s something that really freaks me out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never go in without a skin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kooky wrote:
Do they grip the snow in the same way? I have a really horrible habit of sliding backwards in the steeper parts, are they as "grippy" as traditional glued on skins? I know they are still anchored on at the front but it´s something that really freaks me out.

Just as good climbing, I have the usual 70/30 Mohair/Nylon mix. They "stick" better in cold weather and are great for those long 2000m+ days where you are skinning and skiing maybe 3 times. You can wash the "sticky" side if they get dirty. I've not used them on multiday tours.
snow report
Before you go to the trouble of regluing try ironing the glue as per this approach:

https://www.wildsnow.com/5302/skin-glue-redo/

Works like a dream and much less messy than a full reglue. I also recall doing something similar with brown paper to pull off all the pine needles but can't find that link...

Ben
latest report
Kooky wrote:
@davidof, great info , thank you.
About the glue less skins, I guess you are using them, I never heard of them before but when searching for a glue the Gecko Skins was thrown up in the search, is there much of a difference in the way they perform in comparison to the traditional ones?

Did some short day tours/climbs with 2 different guides on *GECKOS* who were v happy with them and I think I ll be buying my next set as Geckos.

Ooooops EDIT

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-11-14 1:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks for all the replies folks.
I am going to have a look at the Geckos, they sound really interesting.
I think my current skins will last this season if I am lucky, then I will attempt a re glue if I didn´t get the glueless ones.
snow report
Honestly - try the ironing trick - it makes them like new again!
ski holidays
My skins are the only things I've ironed in years.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

The best thing is to buy new skins Happy although I would personally recommend going glueless although even those don't last forever.

I've heard very mixed reports, I nearly bought some but was put off hearing that they don't last long before they stop working. Might have been some early ones. How much have you used them.
snow report
Colltex's new Whizz skins are now available (wink) which are Colltex's tried & tested 65%/35% synthetic mix skin with their excellent Camlock system but with their new Whizz adhesive which is low tack when in contact with everything except a ski base were it sticks like a regular skin. It means you don't need to use mesh sheets to seperate the skins making them dead easy & safer to use in precarious situations. Just stick 'em them together & they can then be easily peeled apart. You still get mesh sheets but they're for drying/storage but aren't actually needed in use. Regluing is also a doddle as the Whizz glue is also available on a iron-on roll which is applied on top of the existing glue so there's need for that difficult/messy job of removing the original glue.
http://www.colltex.ch/en/products/skins/whizzz
snow report
@spyderjon, thanks Jon, I had only seen the gecko ones, these seem like a hybrid and sound interesting.
snow report
jbob wrote:
davidof wrote:

I've heard very mixed reports, I nearly bought some but was put off hearing that they don't last long before they stop working. Might have been some early ones. How much have you used them.

dunno, maybe a 100 days over the last couple of seasons. Seem fine to me.
ski holidays
Check these out:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/26371/first-look-volkls-vacuum-climbing-skins/#more-26371
ski holidays
Kooky wrote:

erm, maybe not.

So.... I just did the re-glue with coltex rolls as per the video. I didn't realise that the glue doesn't go to the edge of the backing so have managed to get the 1st skin with a 1/4 gap where there is little glue down the edge.

A deal breaker or liveable ?
latest report
I'm sure you'll start to get snow under the edges.

Try:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/coll-tex-tex-quick-p-adhes-44-920507
latest report
Re gluing is a very messy procedure and normally there is no need - the glue on your skins can be reconditioned: if you have the release sheets or some brown paper then put them on the glue and run an iron over them and they will be like new in 5 minutes flat. Some people even do it without the paper or release sheets. This is super simple and totally effective. I do it at the start of each season and have some very old skins which I have never needed to re-glue.

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/weird/weird_files/skins.html

http://offpistemag.com/climbing-skins-maintenance-and-renewal/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
better link:

https://www.wildsnow.com/5302/skin-glue-redo/
snow report
Some thoughts on the Geckos

http://youtube.com/v/HYsS4JsmuzY

http://pistehors.com/glueless-climbing-skins-24211268.htm
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Colltex's new Whizz skins are now available (wink) which are Colltex's tried & tested 65%/35% synthetic mix skin with their excellent Camlock system but with their new Whizz adhesive which is low tack when in contact with everything except a ski base were it sticks like a regular skin. It means you don't need to use mesh sheets to seperate the skins making them dead easy & safer to use in precarious situations. Just stick 'em them together & they can then be easily peeled apart. You still get mesh sheets but they're for drying/storage but aren't actually needed in use. Regluing is also a doddle as the Whizz glue is also available on a iron-on roll which is applied on top of the existing glue so there's need for that difficult/messy job of removing the original glue.
http://www.colltex.ch/en/products/skins/whizzz

90% sure these are the new skins that I have branded as Scott.

I used them twice last season when testing the Scott Cascades, they are also a fair bit lighter than normal skins and they are in my pack all the time.

"making them dead easy & safer to use in precarious situations", what do you exactly mean by that ?
ski holidays
I have just got Kohla vacuum skins (branded as Volkl) for my Volkl BMTs. These use a glueless technology that is different to Gecko and does not use Silicone rubber and to be honest feels very gluey indeed but they prove to handle very easily without getting stuck to everything (except the base). Too early to comment on their effectiveness though, and I wonder how well a full length rockered ski will climb when the going gets a bit firm. I cannot find a Marker Kingpin crampon that is wide enough for the skis!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Yes, Scott's pre-cut skins are made by Colltex & they're all their CT40 100% mohair skin with a silicone rubber adhesive. The Whizz skins are their 65% mohair/35% synthetic mix skins.

@mcspreader, Marker only offer two crampon widths (which is pretty poor), a 105mm & a 120mm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy