Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Rep in Rauris - Not so sure

Poster: A snowHead
Out of interest, who you going to be working for? Every company I have come across offers at the least ski hosting in Austria (St Anton being an exception) and pretty much every one offers a ski away day, but it's not something that is necessarily mentioned on their website/brochure. You seem to have made a few assumptions about the resort, people may well use it as a base for the surrounding areas in the area pass, rather than just to ski the local area, otherwise why would the TO's sell the area passes. And as I said, in my experience, reps tend to get given the area passes anyway, ski hosting or not.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would guess Crystal, as no-one else came up on search for Rauris. Also, the deposit mentioned.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd personally jump at the chance to have the whole resort to myself as opposed to sharing it with thousands of others, and as for bars, how many do you need........
Get out there, make the most of it and have yourself a great season Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the Op needs to suck it up buttercup and stop being such a diva about how they couldn't possibly sully themselves with such a small resort. Anyone who was all that as a skier wouldn't be at all concerned by 25km of piste as piste is just a means to an end. And it might breajk your heart to know that punters who are good skiers aren't going to be knocking down any doors to ski with a wet behind the ears rep with an overinflated opinion of themselves in any resort ( I know under a new name had customers back in the Jurassic era when he was a rep but there must be exceptions to every rule).

You're in serious danger of ruining your own season by convincing yourself it's going to be terrible when you have no evidence.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Get some avalanche kit and education, maybe touring kit, and prepare to ski pow all season long while the big resorts get tracked out

that sounds like good advice to me. A great opportunity to learn about ski touring, and also maybe to learn German (or improve your German if you already have a GCSE smattering). That would stand you in very good job for further jobs in the ski industry in Austria in future.

You've said you're not prepared to be a chalet host and you're not prepared to work in France. How many more conditions are you going to lay down when you are trying to get a job in a very competitive market, at a young age and with little experience?

Get on with it, make a really top job of it, and then when the inevitable fallings-out start after New Year you never know, you might get lucky.

You keep talking about six months - is it really that long? Not many resorts are open for 6 months.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-11-14 18:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Suck it up lad, brillant opportunity and one I would love to have had in my youth.

We ski in a very small Austrian Resort called Lofer and it literally only has two bars and one of those is owned by the Ski School. There are no Tour Operators in the resort but I have seen the lads who are part of the Ski School and they seem to have a blast every night and even the chalet girl from our accomodation who never skied until she arrived in Lofer had a blast over two season and was a pretty handy skier at the end of it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like there's some good terrain and plenty of touring to be had. Go, enjoy. You'll find plenty of folk to hang out with and I'm sure some entrepreneurial effort will deliver more activity opportunities for your sales efforts to focus on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think the Op needs to suck it up buttercup and stop being such a diva about how they couldn't possibly sully themselves with such a small resort. Anyone who was all that as a skier wouldn't be at all concerned by 25km of piste as piste is just a means to an end. And it might breajk your heart to know that punters who are good skiers aren't going to be knocking down any doors to ski with a wet behind the ears rep with an overinflated opinion of themselves in any resort ( I know under a new name had customers back in the Jurassic era when he was a rep but there must be exceptions to every rule).

You're in serious danger of ruining your own season by convincing yourself it's going to be terrible when you have no evidence.

I fail to see how being concerned about where I am spending my life for the next six months is being a "diva"
You have just made it out that I think I am too good for this resort and I am better spent elsewhere, 25KM of piste is better than no piste. I am looking forward to working in a ski resort but I will be spending six months of my life there, I am just concerned that due to lack of variety the same old routine could wear a bit thin after 6 months.

I have at no point said its going to be terrible, I just have a gut feeling that as said above ^
What with it being a tiny resort I will have exhausted all avenues of diversity after a very short period of time, after all with 25KM of piste, there is no scope to shake up the routes guests are shown on a weekly basis.

How is this comment being of any help at all
it might breajk your heart to know that punters who are good skiers aren't going to be knocking down any doors to ski with a wet behind the ears rep with an overinflated opinion of themselves in any resort

As I have expressed in earlier posts
njathind wrote:
I built a picture of a resort that had the possibility to provide alternative skiing areas to guests and share with them my knowledge of the area, to be able to interact with guests on many different levels through many different activities.
I enjoy my job in the UK which is in customer service/sales, I wanted to combine that with my love of skiing. Why you feel the need to shoot someone down in flames just because they simply want to combine two things they love I have no idea!

I do not have an over inflated opinion of myself at all, read through everything I have said! All I want to do is work somewhere that at least has some appeal to me, as I have said
njathind wrote:
I don't expect to be placed somewhere that's all singing and all dancing, its simply unrealistic.
but if I am working somewhere for 6 months I feel that I should at least like some aspect of it!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@njathind, my step-daughter was having the same thoughts as you when she was given kranjska gora in Slovenia as her resort when she was repping. It has 30km of piste. In contrast to your your 5yr skiing history, she had been skiing for 15yrs and was a member of cairngorm racing club. She thought she would get bored of it too. Nothing could have been further from the truth though, she loved it. Do you think the locals get bored of it after a few days? I have been going to the same scottish ski areas for 35+ yrs and I'm not bored of them.
Also with it being a smaller resort she got to know everyone in resort and was always getting a free drink or discounted meal. She had her hands full with strange requests that only total beginners could come up with and was always busy. More often than not, the entire party on a ski holiday are not all beginners (maybe one of them is taking a partner to a small resort for them to learn). She took the ski guiding and had great days out doing that, and by the end genuinely took pride in showing them round 'her' mountain.
All in all she loved it that much that she asked to go back the following year. Don't write the place off before you set eyes, or skis, on it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you're showing how good your customer service. skills are by your thin skinned response to anyone offering a counter view to you. And I've no idea why you keep saying it's 6 months. TO s don't get going until mid December and are packed up immediately after Easter.

As for other activities you don't think 4 nights a week plus transfer day will be enough interaction with customers for you? Trust me, speaking as a punter, you'll be sick of the gormless fools after a couple of weeks unless you really mean an endless throughput of available young ladies in which case you want Faliraki not a ski resort.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I should at least like some aspect of it!!!

it's a ski resort, an Austrian ski resort with probably a lot of friendly people around, and it seems there are some good opportunities to get into "ski touring" (something I'd love to have done, especially after doing a day's "taster session" a couple of seasons ago, but have left too late, being well into oldagepensionerhood).

It's an opportunity to use your own initiative a lot (in such a small place you presumably won't have big hierarchies of bosses to deal with) and with a bit of application you could learn to speak German pretty well.

And last but not least, you can hugely improve your own skiing, especially if you make friends with some instructors who are willing to give you some hints and tips for free, or for steering your guests their way. You can do that just as effectively on 25 kms of piste as on 250.

Do you really not "like" any of that?

And is it really 6 months?

You seem completely to have dismissed the comments and suggestions made to you (OK, some have been a bit tough, but lots have been positive and helpful). When I was doing recruitment of high-ability graduates that would have marked you pretty low on the quality of "adaptability".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dode wrote:
@njathind, my step-daughter was having the same thoughts as you when she was given kranjska gora in Slovenia as her resort when she was repping. It has 30km of piste. In contrast to your your 5yr skiing history, she had been skiing for 15yrs and was a member of cairngorm racing club. She thought she would get bored of it too. Nothing could have been further from the truth though, she loved it. Do you think the locals get bored of it after a few days? I have been going to the same scottish ski areas for 35+ yrs and I'm not bored of them.
Also with it being a smaller resort she got to know everyone in resort and was always getting a free drink or discounted meal. She had her hands full with strange requests that only total beginners could come up with and was always busy. More often than not, the entire party on a ski holiday are not all beginners (maybe one of them is taking a partner to a small resort for them to learn). She took the ski guiding and had great days out doing that, and by the end genuinely took pride in showing them round 'her' mountain.
All in all she loved it that much that she asked to go back the following year. Don't write the place off before you set eyes, or skis, on it.

@dode thank you so much for this post, its always great to hear the advice of someone who has been in the same situation as myself, you raise some valid points. Its probably best not to write it off just yet, thank you for providing some constructive advice with reasons behind what your saying.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At 21, I don’t think there is anything wrong with wanting to go somewhere with a bit more going on. I’d be a bit gutted too, however as we have covered off it is not the end of the world. You’ll have a great time where ever you do a season and although it may not have the scope of somewhere bigger there will be more opportunity to get under the skin of the place.

I stand by the fact that you should have a quiet word with the HR team and see what potential there is to change. I very much doubt there is much method as to who ends up where. They will deal with returners and give them a bit of preference and the rest will go wherever the gaps are. Mayrhofen has loads of new reps each year and so I think it is just luck as to where you get placed.

Good luck with however it turns out Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you're showing how good your customer service. skills are by your thin skinned response to anyone offering a counter view to you. And I've no idea why you keep saying it's 6 months. TO s don't get going until mid December and are packed up immediately after Easter.

As for other activities you don't think 4 nights a week plus transfer day will be enough interaction with customers for you? Trust me, speaking as a punter, you'll be sick of the gormless fools after a couple of weeks unless you really mean an endless throughput of available young ladies in which case you want Faliraki not a ski resort.

@Dave of the Marmottes no one on this website is currently a customer of mine, how am I showing poor customer service? Please do enlighten me, I'm intrigued!

How is having a conversation over the internet where I provide evidence and reasons for what I have said being thin skinned? I am not being oversensitive I am defending myself when people have criticised me, without fully understanding what I am trying to achieve from my post. As I have said, I welcome constructive criticism but not outright criticism.

Comments such as this
me, speaking as a punter, you'll be sick of the gormless fools after a couple of weeks
are hardly going to sell the whole experience to someone are they?

Why do I keep saying I will be working there for 6 months? The clue is in the statement, I will be working there for 6 months!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I should at least like some aspect of it!!!

it's a ski resort, an Austrian ski resort with probably a lot of friendly people around, and it seems there are some good opportunities to get into "ski touring" (something I'd love to have done, especially after doing a day's "taster session" a couple of seasons ago, but have left too late, being well into oldagepensionerhood).

It's an opportunity to use your own initiative a lot (in such a small place you presumably won't have big hierarchies of bosses to deal with) and with a bit of application you could learn to speak German pretty well.

And last but not least, you can hugely improve your own skiing, especially if you make friends with some instructors who are willing to give you some hints and tips for free, or for steering your guests their way. You can do that just as effectively on 25 kms of piste as on 250.

Do you really not "like" any of that?

And is it really 6 months?

You seem completely to have dismissed the comments and suggestions made to you (OK, some have been a bit tough, but lots have been positive and helpful). When I was doing recruitment of high-ability graduates that would have marked you pretty low on the quality of "adaptability".

@pam W I appreciate what you are saying, although I will have the opportunity to try ski touring I would only be able to do so on days off. I will not doubt get the opportunity to give it a try but it might be very limited.

And yes, its really 6 months Toofy Grin
latest report
OP: I don't think this resort is good enough for me

Everyone else: It'll be fine don't worry about it

OP: No I'm definitely not happy and I don't want to accept your advice, why can't you see things my way and not upset me

ad naseum

What did you really want out of this thread? Validation of your decision?
ski holidays
Quote:

I would only be able to do so on days off.

well yes. Working people usually only get to practice their hobbies on days off, don't they?

The lifts at Rauris are open for less than 4 months. What will you be doing the rest of the time?

If you make good contacts with the locals you might be able to help them turn the English bits of their website into something a little less strange.

If you dip into the soft powder snow, show your edges with the carving swing. Rauris spoils the individualists among the winter sportlers with a cosy ambience and encouraging beautiful nature!
latest report
OP: I don't think this resort is good enough for me

Everyone else: It'll be fine don't worry about it

OP: No I'm definitely not happy and I don't want to accept your advice, why can't you see things my way and not upset me

ad naseum

@Dave of the Marmottes You did not answer my question
njathind wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes no one on this website is currently a customer of mine, how am I showing poor customer service? Please do enlighten me, I'm intrigued!
please kindly answer it.

Please tell me, at what point have I said that this resort is not good enough for me? I admit the resort is not something I would choose personally but I have in no way said or implied that I am too good to work in this resort. (Is it me or am I repeating myself here?) I have expressed concern that this resort may become tedious after a month or so due to its limited size and range of skiing/other activities.

In answer to your question
if you read my original post I have concerns and questions about working in such a tiny resort. Please, go back and re read my post very carefully. You will see that I am seeking advice from those who have experience in this field, I want to know what its like to work in such a tiny resort. Is it going to be a good experience or should I see if its possible to relocate.

@dode Gave a very helpful and constructive answer, based on their step daughters personal experience.
ski holidays
1 Patronising style of above post amongst others and poor comprehension skills

2 Answered your own question in your "tedious" sentence

3 Don't assume posters here haven't spent considerable extended time in small resorts

4 We aren't just telling you to grow up for the hell of it you really do need to relax about this and concentrate on asking your employer what you'll be doing in the 2 months the resort is shut. I suspect Simon Cross's cellar gimp.
ski holidays
@njathind, you need to accept people's options in life, of course you don't need to agree with them, but in the thread you appear to do disregarding the ones which aren't what you want to hear.
We all want to fulfil our goals in life, but you have to work hard to do so ( well most of us anyway ! ) and not expect them to fall in to place as and when you wish, and 6 months in any resort would only achieve some, unless your only goal is to work in a resort of your choice for 6 months Puzzled
Take the job, make the most of it, it's a great opportunity, demonstrate to your new employers your qualities as we all have to, and better options should come your way.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, +1 rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I would guess Crystal, as no-one else came up on search for Rauris. Also, the deposit mentioned.
Well, how many reps does Crystal has for Rauris? And how many of them are 21 year old? So you might as well sign your real name on this thread, cut & paste all here to Crystal's HR.

Quote:

@dode Gave a very helpful and constructive answer, based on their step daughters personal experience.

While not everyone had worked as resort host, many here had much more experience on skiing than you. And they've been trying their best to point out to you your idea of what's a "good resort" for skiing is totally off base. But no, you ignore them and gone on and on about how small that resort is.

Needless to say, it also did not occur to you your idea of how your job will be like might also be entirely unrealistic just like your idea of skiing!

It wouldn't help to tell you that because you would just ignore it just as you ignore the advice/comment regarding the skiing side.

It strikes me you have a certain fixed concept of what you want to show your customers: YOUR preconceived vision of ski holiday. And ONLY your vision of it, with no regard to what other potentials are available. That will not make you a good customer service person.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-11-14 20:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have skied a few times in Rauris and always enjoyed the area, despite its being relatively small. If you want to read a little more about the area, I commented on it in this earlier post. If you end up in Rauris, I hope you enjoy your time there - maybe we'll bump into each other Very Happy.
snow conditions
It's your first season so unlikely to get a top resort. They ask the returning seasonaires their preferences and new people like you fill in the gaps. Us Brits are a bit obsessive about big mileage resorts whereas a lot of Germans, Dutch etc happily return to these smaller resorts year after year and love it. Plus point about a resort like this is the off piste doesn't get tracked out within 20 minutes of the lifts opening and the punters (and their daughters) are gonna think you're a ski God Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
1 Patronising style of above post amongst others and poor comprehension skills

2 Answered your own question in your "tedious" sentence

3 Don't assume posters here haven't spent considerable extended time in small resorts

4 We aren't just telling you to grow up for the hell of it you really do need to relax about this and concentrate on asking your employer what you'll be doing in the 2 months the resort is shut. I suspect Simon Cross's cellar gimp.

I in no way think I'm superior to anyone, if I thought I was superior to anyone on here then why would I seek advise from snowheads forums?
Which question have I answered?

I've asked how I'm providing poor customer service which you have accused me of; I am in now way, shape or form providing any type of service to any customer. As I have said no one on this forum is currently a customer of mine, I genuinely would like you to explain to me how I'm providing poor customer service.

If I am assuming users on this thread have not spent considerable time in tiny resorts such as Rauris then why would I be seeking their advice?

I was relaxed until certain users started posting criticism with no clear remedy or advice. I have conducted myself in an appropriately defensive manner when needed. I have the ability to behave and act like a child, but there is a time and place for that. Here is most certainly not the place.

geoffknight wrote:
@njathind, you need to accept people's options in life, of course you don't need to agree with them, but in the thread you appear to do disregarding the ones which aren't what you want to hear.
We all want to fulfil our goals in life, but you have to work hard to do so ( well most of us anyway ! ) and not expect them to fall in to place as and when you wish, and 6 months in any resort would only achieve some, unless your only goal is to work in a resort of your choice for 6 months Puzzled
Take the job, make the most of it, it's a great opportunity, demonstrate to your new employers your qualities as we all have to, and better options should come your way.

@geoffknight The only thing I have disregarded are negative, un helpful posts from users who seem more intent on provoking an argument then actually trying to be helpful

abc wrote:

While not everyone had worked as resort host, many here had much more experience on skiing than you. And they've been trying their best to point out to you your idea of what's a "good resort" for skiing is totally off base. But no, you ignore them and gone on and on about how small that resort is.

Needless to say, it also did not occur to you your idea of how your job will be like might also be entirely unrealistic just like your idea of skiing!

It wouldn't help to tell you that because you would just ignore it just as you ignore the advice/comment regarding the skiing side.

It strikes me you have a certain fixed concept of what you want to show your customers: YOUR preconceived vision of ski holiday. And ONLY your vision of it, with no regard to what other potentials are available. That will not make you a good customer service person.

As I have been trying to explain, my concern is not solely based on the limited skiing area! Its what the whole resort involves in terms of diversity of work and clients. I have at no point said the skiing is going to be rubbish. So what if I have a preference of what sort of area I like to ski, it's my own personal preference and from my past experience its never let me down.

I have no idea as yet what my job will be like, if I have no idea then that cant be unrealistic surely? I do know for fact what activities are offered to guests in resort so I do know that much. I'm not making assumptions about it, its 100% fact.

The only "fixed concept" of what I want to show my guests is not my vision of a ski holiday at all, if you read what I have said you will see that yes I do want to show guests the best pistes to ski and the best times. I also want to offer them a diverse range of interesting activities throughout their holiday. What I want to do is offer people choice and make sure they have a great ski holiday.

I really don't see how that's forcing my preconceived vision of a ski holiday on people.
ski holidays
@njathind,

You have been given a lot of help and advice from many people here but you have ignored lots of it.

25km is not bad how do you think instructors cope on plastic or in a fridge year in year out, or even the instructors in these small resorts do they turn up on day one and go " Oh no not another season here i'll be bored by next week" or do they get on with it make the most and realise how lucky they are to be fulfilling their dream.

Yes nightlife will be more limited but as others have said will mean you get to know most people in the resort.

Showing punters round the same runs each week ! you will get new punters each week it will be new for them use your sales background to sell the place and your knowledge what could be better than the punters writing to the company saying "you know your rep in Rauris made the holiday for us" and they book again for the following year.
latest report
Quote:

from my past experience its never let me down.

Of a 21 year old!

Yes, a lot of what's been said sound condescending. But I'm afraid they're justified.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 2-11-14 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
espri wrote:
I have skied a few times in Rauris and always enjoyed the area, despite its being relatively small. If you want to read a little more about the area, I commented on it in this earlier post. If you end up in Rauris, I hope you enjoy your time there - maybe we'll bump into each other Very Happy.

@espri Many thanks, I had been reading through that and it looks like a wonderful place to ski. I have no doubt it would be epic fun for a month but I just get the impression that after a while I may have exhausted all the variety the resort has to offer.

But that's just my opinion, and as the saying goes "don't judge a book by its cover"

Thank you for your helpful and insightful post about Rauris

RUGBY PETER wrote:
It's your first season so unlikely to get a top resort. They ask the returning seasonaires their preferences and new people like you fill in the gaps. Us Brits are a bit obsessive about big mileage resorts whereas a lot of Germans, Dutch etc happily return to these smaller resorts year after year and love it. Plus point about a resort like this is the off piste doesn't get tracked out within 20 minutes of the lifts opening and the punters (and their daughters) are gonna think you're a ski God Very Happy Very Happy

@RUGBY PETER I know what your mean, I wasn't expecting to get a top resort. However as I have been saying it would have been nice to be placed in a bigger resort than I am.

Like you say, I guess I'm a typical mile munching brit Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skills
snow conditions
@njathind, I think you would have loved the SkiWelt area. A big area with lively Apres Ski.

However, as you know now, it can be pot luck where you are allocated when working for a tour operator.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:

from my past experience its never let me down.

Of a 21 year old!

Yes, a lot of what's been said sound condescending. But I'm afraid they're justified.

@abc your right, some of what has been said sounds very condescending and I see no need for it. Most people who have replied to me have been very helpful and managed to express an opinion without causing upset to anyone.

My past 21 year experience in life has not let me down, I think older and younger generations can learn from each other. Just because someone may be older it does not mean they are wiser. The opposite is also true.
ski holidays
Skills

@Dave of the Marmottes Please elaborate on your one worded comment.
I don't understand what your trying to imply but it. Embarassed
latest report
customer service skills

op cit re comprehension
snow conditions
customer service skills

op cit re comprehension

I'm sorry but I still don't understand, what does cit stand for?
ski holidays
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=op+cit
snow report
@njathind, as you've already been told, you're not going to be there for 6 months, very few people have winter seasons that long (generally the returners/management that go out early to set up resorts/training and stay on at the end to finish off shut down). Even in the bigger resorts like St Anton the season is at most 6months, for the lower resorts much shorter. People have been repeatedly saying that the resort will not limit you (personally, the only thing limiting you is yourself), and if you'd noticed my comment above, you'd more than likely be getting an area pass anyway so have access to other areas. Going by what you've said you requested at interview, somewhere you can experience a variety, I can see why you maybe get a small resort. In the bigger resorts there will be a team of you, and so you would not get this variety, you'd maybe just be doing the coach transfer and one ski away day every week, and maybe helping with the quiz once in a while (for example, depends on the resort management some may switch duties around more, others might not). In a small resort you'd be doing all this yourself, giving you much more chance to experience everything.
snow report
Quote:

I think older and younger generations can learn from each other.

As you were typing those letters on the keyboard, did you ask yourself did YOU learn from the more experienced snowheads?

From your response on here, it didn't appear you did. That's why I made the comment that the condescending remarks were somewhat justified.

At 21, you've still got a whole to learn. But you can also stop learning right now, believing your "past experience had not let you down" so far, and won't in the future. You would simply miss out a lot without realizing it.
snow report
@njathind, working in a small resort is a different experience to the bigger ones - and as others have said can be far more rewarding. From what you've said about wanting to give a good holiday to clients then it sounds like the small resort will suit you, and that's possibly why you've been placed there.

I've worked in a very small resort and there are many benefits that you don't get in the bigger ones....if you go with a positive attitude then you will really enjoy yourself
latest report
Unless I missed it, I don't think you have given any thought to the usefulness of spending time learning German - a skill which will stand you in good stead in future. And might even be necessary when helping customers - for example somebody who is injured and needs to be treated in an Austrian hospital where not everybody will speak good English. When that happened to my son he was very glad he could speak a fair bit of German - having much improved on his GCSE German by spending a summer working on a remote Austrian farm (compared to which Rauris is a roaring metropolis). Though the surgeon who rebuilt his smashed ankle did a first class job and the nurse who helped by miming where he was to put the painkillers gave him a much-needed laugh.
snow report
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=op+cit

Many thanks, although unfortunately I don't speak Latin so would never of had a chance of understanding this abbreviation in the first place.
I still don't agree with your reference to comprehension of customer service, as I keep repeating no one here is currently a customer of myself. I am just a person with a question and defending myself from unnecessary derogatory remarks or comments. This is in no way a reflection of customer service as I am not currently acting in a professional capacity. I'm simply a person with a question

Sitter wrote:
@njathind, as you've already been told, you're not going to be there for 6 months, very few people have winter seasons that long (generally the returners/management that go out early to set up resorts/training and stay on at the end to finish off shut down). Even in the bigger resorts like St Anton the season is at most 6months, for the lower resorts much shorter. People have been repeatedly saying that the resort will not limit you (personally, the only thing limiting you is yourself), and if you'd noticed my comment above, you'd more than likely be getting an area pass anyway so have access to other areas. Going by what you've said you requested at interview, somewhere you can experience a variety, I can see why you maybe get a small resort. In the bigger resorts there will be a team of you, and so you would not get this variety, you'd maybe just be doing the coach transfer and one ski away day every week, and maybe helping with the quiz once in a while (for example, depends on the resort management some may switch duties around more, others might not). In a small resort you'd be doing all this yourself, giving you much more chance to experience everything.

@sitter I hear what your saying, the only reason why I believe I will be in resort for 6 months is because that is what I have been told at interview and that is what my contracts describe. I am only going on the facts I have been told.

abc wrote:
Quote:

I think older and younger generations can learn from each other.

As you were typing those letters on the keyboard, did you ask yourself did YOU learn from the more experienced snowheads?

From your response on here, it didn't appear you did. That's why I made the comment that the condescending remarks were somewhat justified.

At 21, you've still got a whole to learn. But you can also stop learning right now, believing your "past experience had not let you down" so far, and won't in the future. You would simply miss out a lot without realizing it.

@abc I have learnt from the people on snowheads who have commented with helpful advise and personal experiences.
Maybe the people who have chosen to reply in a condescending and critical way will learn that unfortunately on the internet you can not hear the tone of someone's voice or read facial expressions, which as you can see has naturally resulted in the original poster (being myself) to become riled and to a certain degree hurt by the careless comments.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy