Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've a bit of a dilemma on me hands.

I have some of the original head WC superhape speeds, the 170s with 15.4m radius. By all accounts a legendary ski sitting between a GS and SL side cut. They probably a few years old now but probably not had more than 10-14 days skiing max and in great condition aside from the usual scratches to top sheet.

My issue is several fold:
I ski mainly off piste (whitedot redeemers here)
Or I ski a mixture on the same day (line blend 100s)
I am 6ft but less then 70kg and when I ski on piste they are often busy or I am skiing with friends/family in a more sedate fashion.

I prefer tight carved turns to smashing out GS style speed. Therefore I'm left craving something a bit more forgiving/softer/tighter turn radius and just don't give the Heads the outings they deserve. I have had days when these skis feel amazing, when I can let rip and ski them suitably aggressively but they are quite demanding.

Should I just man up or is it more realistic to switch to something like the Magnums? I just don't want to get shot of these awesome skis and regret it. I wouldn't swap for a compromise ski, if I sold these I would want a very good piste only ski, maybe a detained slalom ski (which is not far off what these are...).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rule 5
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied the Supershape speeds a lot and I still get them out occasionally. These days 90% of my piste skiing is on WC racing skis and the Supershapes come out on exactly the times you are describing - when I want to takes things a bit easy. You are right in that they are basically detuned race skis with a little bit longer radius than an SL ski. The slightly longer radius makes them more relaxing to ski than a typical 12-13m radius SL ski.

I think the Supershapes are still a great ski and I think you would be disappointed with anything softer. Forgiving and soft doesn't sit well with tighter turn radius in my book, not if you want to have fun.

M
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy