Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Åre resort review

Poster: A snowHead
thecramps wrote:
@Themasterpiece, four years ago we were there a similar time to your trip, and towards the end of the week, many of the ski shops had some excellent bargains as they were shifting stock to clear the way for sailing, boating, hiking and biking stuff for the summer.

Even last week mrsthecramps got 40% off a nice pair of peak performance ski trousers in the peak performance shop in the square.
Might be a good time to treat yourself to new kit. Madeye-Smiley

Happened that my ski edge tore my trousers last weekend (bottom was filled with ice) so am looking for some new ones!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sack the Juggler, Shocked Are you still alive? You do look a bit flushed in the second pic.

@dobby, there were a few learner disabled skiers with a variety of sit ski machines there last week. It was amusing to hear a Swedish instructor tear a strip off a Dutchman who had complained that the speed of the T bars had been reduced to help them.

Also, we went on the flat road across to the top to the VM8 from the top of the two T bars (good wind behind us so was actually good fun) and saw four mountain hares, in full winter white, three reindeer and not another soul till we got to the top of the VM8. As an extra treat the world cup run had just opened to the public so we were about the first down there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The weather today was grest sunshine almost all day. The views was outstanding in any direction.

Choose to budget down a bit and went to ICA in Åre - they have a great salad bar. We added a little bread and som juce. I thought that was a good bargain until my daughter told me we had missed the last day bus.
Did not want to wait for the evening bus so taxi was the only way. Shared with 2 other guys who should go to Tegefjæll - however could would have been cheaper to eat out again.
Today it has been a bit colder and the snow was perfect.
The top gondola has not been runing since we have been here, but went around to the back side, which offers very good off piste possibilities.
Tomorrow we will try out Villa Tottebo and after that I suppose it will be ICA for the rest of the stay.
We ske from lift open til lift closes - tomorrow has to be cut short as we have get shower abd "dressed up" before entering Villa Tottebo.
Skied first at half way to Bjørnen than Bjørnen to end up on the backside. Bjørnen wad nice to see but pistes are not interesting, but very good for children learn to ski.
It is worth going around the mountain to the backside. The top lift on the backside was closed as well and buildings and outer structures looked like Zao's snowmonsters - overgrown with ice. Shocked
Maybe our best ski day today - weather forecast doesn't show sun over eastet and temperature is rising (Saturday +5) Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hyst, Villa Tottebo is nice, you will enjoy it. Maybe for a lower cost meal try the bar called Broken. It's just bar food, lots of burgers and such, but done well and very tasty and decent value. It is near the bottom of the Bergbannen in the top left hand corner of the square.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thecramps, We have seen it - I had one burger so far and that was enough for me. However after tonight it will be ICA salatbar i guess for the rest of the week - hopefully without taxi! Twisted Evil
I wanted to try the local mini beer bru, but my daughter has turned to much swedish and says no all the time.
Saw a group of young norwegeans terrible drunk fooling around on there skis late afternoon.
Not a beautiful view! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thecramps, the only elk we saw was from the car - I think all the elk were on winter break when we were there. @Hyst, good to see the Norwegians taking advantage of the "cheap" beer in Sweden. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dobby, Yes, poor Fitzwilliams for them the swedish boos is cheap - I don't think they went for beer, more hard stuff needed to get that drunk in the late afternoon. It hurt my heart when on of them try to ski on the road filled with those small stones they use here.
But maybe they don't ski. Our skiteacher told us about the norwegean invation at easter - it creates a massive traffic jam when they first have to fill up the car in front of Systembolagret! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By the way - for those coming easter - there is a special timetable for the evening bus.
Some runs have been cut away specially the late once you need most. Puzzled
More people - less busses - does not really make sense! Confused Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hyst, obviously a British contractor providing transport....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thecramps, To be honest I didn't even know there was accommodation at Rodkullen. We booked quite late and with 6 people, an unusual Tuesday checkout and small budget it was really a case of what was available anywhere that matched our needs. I found going from Bjornen to Are By using that new chair fine. It was the other way round that ate up time as to get to the apartment required a chair, followed by two long beginner T-bars to get onto the "ski-road".

But anyhow wasn't meaning to be negative on the place - all in all I thought an excellent destination, well-run and with great variety of things to do. Wife's injury not serious just bad timing in eating up half of the 4 days we had there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hyst wrote:
By the way - for those coming easter - there is a special timetable for the evening bus.
Some runs have been cut away specially the late once you need most. Puzzled
More people - less busses - does not really make sense! Confused Shocked

But that would require the little known (in sweden) phenomenon of "customer service" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dobby, @Themasterpiece, maybe you are both right Toofy Grin !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Villa Tottebo can be recommend

http://villatottebo.se/index.php/en/home/

We choose the menu, but left the vine menu and choose single glasses insted.

As we had to catch the latest bus 20:30 the waiter arranged everything perfect, well done. Smile

(Don't really want to talk about the costs, just have to live on MAX from now on Evil or Very Mad )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Over and out (alomost) from 63.4 north.
One of the very funny things we expected her was the Åre Gondola:

First day: Closed due to overicing.
Second day: Closed due to overicing.
Third day: Closed due to deicing.
Fourth day: Closed due to deicing.
Fifth day: Closed due to technical problems.
Sixth day: Closed due to repair ment due to damage coursed by deicing!!!!!!
Seventh day: I did not want to look anymore! Shocked
Eight day: I don't come that way anymore. wink

May be Skistar should go south and take a look at how modern gondolas can be build. And as Sweden has quite some hydro electricity the could use some of it for deicing - usind a hammer sems not the right method. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh dear I hope they get it fixed for two weeks time 😄
according to the Skistar app there seem to be a few lifts in each area that aren't running each day- they claim to have plenty of snow so is all this "technical" issues?!

Hope you enjoyed your week 😊
snow report
It was a daughter father trip - enjoying, - but who pays the bills do you think Shocked
ski holidays
The problem is icing on the lifts. See the photo in the blog from a new days ago https://www.skistar.com/en/Are/About-Are/Snow-blogg/22-march/.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, that explains it!Very Happy

@Hyst, glad it went well and enjoyed your updates
snow conditions
Very windy today. Top lifts not open Sad Conditions on the pistes very good actually, just the odd thin patch. Snow is quite wet and heavy. No point in offpiste I think - very thin snow cover and what there is was like skiing in porridge.
ski holidays
Hopefully it gets colder midweek and some new snow might come.
Nice wifi on the snowtrain from Åre Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hyst wrote:

May be Skistar should go south and take a look at how modern gondolas can be build. And as Sweden has quite some hydro electricity the could use some of it for deicing - usind a hammer sems not the right method. Toofy Grin

They used to use a large log hanging from the bottom of a helicopter to break of the ice. Hope you had a good trip despite that and a safe journey home.

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
High winds continue and they still haven't opened the top lifts. Snow is quite hard in the mornings and very soft/wet in the afternoon, but found the sweet spot mid morning when you can venture off piste a bit.

Had an excellent avalanche intro "skistar experience" today, which is a group lesson but only I was booked in. Surprised they didn't cancel it, so thank you skistar for 3 hours of coaching for 500 sek (£42). The conditions were not great for offpiste, but we started the morning with technique on the piste, and headed offpiste when the snow softened up. Practiced measuring slope angle, dug 1.5m deep snow pit, examined layers and did compression and shear tests, discussed weather effects, did some probing and practiced with transceivers (there is a test area anyone can use with their own transceiver with burried boxes providing signals for single or multiple burials at the Åre Lavincenter on the left before the VM6 lift).

Lesson was with David Lindgren, who was working for skistar in this instance but also has his own company www.mountainsport.se for offpiste instruction, guiding, climbing etc in Sweden, Norway (or anywhere else).
latest report
How is the snow bearing up this week?
latest report
@MCL, its good. Temperature has dropped a bit. Wind has died down and top lifts have been open past couple of days. Snow softens up in the afternoon, which is good, and hasn't got as heavy/slow as earlier in the week. It snowed for a few hours this afternoon, and even that sprinklering made a difference.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, thanks for the update and hope you are having a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
@MCL, had an awesome week. Weather has been good - pack some sun cream. Get to the top whenever the lifts are open, the snow is still great. Lap the top on lift H28, and ski the side/back and get lifts H25,H27. Photo of my son offpiste on way down to bottom of H25.

[URL=http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/therealmasterpiece/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Leo%20photo%203%202_zps9ochuckn.jpg.html][/URL
snow report
@Themasterpiece, I am seriously jealous.

Nice picture, wish we were still there. Glad you are having a good time though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece, great to hear you had a good time.

I'd better get packing! Good to hear there was some sunshine too 😊
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Åre Icing - top station.
House is a kind of service building - never found out what the "other thing" was.

snow report
It's currently snowing in Are, it's our last day here, will be hitting first lift to make the most of it....
snow report
It's currently snowing in Are, it's our last day here, will be hitting first lift to make the most of it....
snow conditions
@lilywhite, and @MCL, how was your time in Åre?
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, a great week!

Didn't have the best weather with a bit of rain and almost whiteout a few days but a few sunny afternoons.

Really liked the town and the apartment. A little challenging to find at about 3am but we found it eventually Very Happy
We skied three days and boarded the rest. Had a good private snowboarding lesson booked through the Skistar shop.
Wondered where everyone went mid afternoon as the slopes became deserted; then discovered the apres ski in the hotel at the top of the fenicular 😄. That was good fun!

It was our first experience of a DIY holiday and it all went smoothly with the apartment and hiring equipment. We ate out every night and that wasn't as expensive as I'd anticipated. I'm veggie so at many veggie burgers and a few pizzas.

A few less drag lifts would have been good but that wouldn't put me off returning.

We got weird looks paying for things in cash! They seem to pay for absolutely everything on a card.

Only downside for us was having to take 2 flights and a lengthy wait at airports might make me think twice about returning- I think if we'd have booked sooner we could have got better flight times
ski holidays
So, you did not wake up people in the wrong apartment on arrival after you drinks in the planes? Well done.
Toofy Grin
With drag lifts you are much more on skis! wink
ski holidays
@MCL, did the hotel turn into a thrash metal bar for the afterski? It did in February. ...
latest report
@Hyst, a couple of beers en route but remained sensible as I was a little concerned about finding the apartment. There was indeed a map with the key as Skistar promised but it was effectively useless in working out where to go in! We were all somewhat tired by then. Didn't enjoy having to make up our own beds when we got there- is that normal for self catering?! They had left us with an array of cleaning products but just one toilet roll would have been nice!

Yes the t bars were a challenge on the snowboards especially when the snow was firm and rutted! Sure they'll get easier with practice. Yes no problem on skis!

@dobby, no thrash metal! It was a band called somebody's tombola- there was no sign of a tombola- they did Tina Turner, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen to name a few! It was strange how the band finished at about 5.45 each day and then everyone disappeared and the cleaning staff turned up! On the last day we went to the hotel bar afterwards and ended up with a group of Norweigans- we weren't being that rowdy but we got threatened to be thrown out twice as they could hear us in the posh restaurant! So we all left before we really did get ejected! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Brits+ Norweigans together in Åre - must have been a nightmare for the Swedes! :- Toofy Grin
Apartments is doing yourself including toiletpaper! Now you have learned what is important to carry in you handbags! rolling eyes
latest report
@MCL, we flew SAS from LHR to Ostersund via Stockholm, and while we had a 3 hour wait for the connection on the way there, it was only 50 mins or so on the way back. The price was about the same as going via Trondheim and we arrived mid afternoon. Flights on the way back were about 6pm so we got a bit of skiing in on the last day too. (without having to buy extra lift passes as skistar were selling passes 8 days for the price of 6). We are going again next year for sure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy