Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trip from Sydney

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Planning the big European ski trip at the moment from Australia and thought about the following itinerary. I'll be doing three weeks and my other friends will do 2 weeks. One is an expert skier, other is an expert snowboard and I'm an equivalent level 3 BASI instructor.

Fly from Sydney to Grenoble or Paris or Turin or Lyon and train/bus it to Serre Chevalier

Jan 25 to 31 - Serre Chavelier with UCPA for a week. I will be by myself this week so staying with UCPA will give me a crew to ride with.
Jan 31 to Feb 1 (Saturday night) - Milan or Turin - meet up with friends and break up the travel between Serre Chevalier and Davos. It seems to be a long transfer between the two resorts.
Feb 1 to 8 - Davos staying at the Youth Hostel probably
Feb 9 to 15 - St Anton - Not sure where to stay in St Anton yet.

Train to Innsbruck or Munich to fly back to Sydney.

I've been to a few resorts in EU such as Chamonix, La Grave, Val D'Isere, Tignes, Mayrhofen, Serre Chevalier, Alpes d'Huez, La Rosiere, Cervinia, Zermatt, Flims, Courmayeur, La Thuile, Laax, St Moritz and also Japan, USA, Canada, New Zealand and done a few seasons in Australia.

I've tried to pick resorts that I haven't been to before. I also like staying in resorts for at least week so I get a good feel for the place and should experience at least a good couple of days. Hence why I've only picked three resorts with one week at each. Each place also has easy day trips to other resorts for a bit of variety too.

The airports we fly into and fly out of depends on the cost of tickets that we find and cost of transfers to the resorts. I like the idea of open jaw flights where we fly in one side of the alps and fly out on the other side so we don't have to back track.

Any tips, advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SpeedySydney, I see you've selected your airports and destinations to make it easy for yourselves to see lots of the Alps and their various train and bus stations and how easy it is to change between them.

Also lots of alpine scenery from train and bus windows.

Nice. Personally, I'd rather ski more. As I can, for instance this afternoon, see lots of the alps from train and bus windows when I go visit clients.

It's a long transfer between resorts because there are lots of great big hooning mountains in the way. How inconvenient.

My suggestion would be back to the drawing board and a bit of re-planning. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be more helpful...

Davos is nice enough but wouldn't be on my list for a mega trip. You don't seem to have hit Verbier? That would be up there for me. As would the Portes du Soleil - e.g. Morzine or Avoriaz. Serre Chevalier I know nothing about.

Sydney flights will not easily hit regional airports like Turin, Grenoble or Lyon. Certainly not Grenoble or Innsbruck. I'd be looking at Geneva, Milan or Munich. Unless you're on a mileage run.

You have also missed Monterosa and the Dolomites, which would be on my list.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SpeedySydney, I can see what @under a new name is getting at here.

There are areas that are very different from each other in character yet still very close geographically.

For example, Selva is in the Italian Dolomites. A different country, mountain range, language from St Anton, in the Austrian Alps, and yet only 2 1/2 hrs away by road. Google says they are 8 hrs apart by rail but I'm pretty sure they didn't get the best route - I'd estimate more like 4hrs by rail.

St Anton/Davos are a reasonable 2-3hrs from each other so that seems sensible enough.

I love Serre Che but do it along with other great domains at that end of the Alps rather than wasting precious ski-time with long transfers.

Selva => St Anton => Davos => home would be my suggestion.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually try and avoid ski resorts on the weekends cause they are usually busier with weekends but that's not always true based on some people's experiences with changeover days. I think it is fine to have some rest days between different resorts. Catch up on sleep and rest. I really love the Glacier Express train trip between St Moritz and Zermatt and would do it a third time.

Surprisingly the cost of flying into Frankfurt, Milan, Munich, Paris etc is all around the same cost - $1500 AUD return. The open jaw is costing more than I expected at around $2000 for the two flights. I am thinking of choosing a more central airport in the alps now.

I've been to Serre Chevalier before and had great conditions. With UCPA, they only had limited choices of resorts to choose from for off piste snowboarding weeks for Jan 25. It was either Chamonix, Argentiere, Flaine and Serre Chevalier. I thought SC would be a good choice for this trip, they do a day trip to La Grave which I am keen on.

I have stayed with Swiss Youth hostels in St Moritz and Zermatt and I thought they were great so thought it would be good to try the SYH in Davos.

Verbier is on the list for next time, maybe next year.

I wanted to also choose resorts that were far enough away from each other so if the conditions were bad in one area, it wouldn't affect the other resorts we were going to. Conditions do change week from week though. Also wanted to choose resorts that were different enough for my two friends that haven't been to the alps who are single and also like to party.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You know what - I hadn't even clocked the dates you were talking about.

That first week, we (snowHeads) are in Kronplatz which is in the Dolomites so far closer to your other destinations than Serre Che. It's a cheap trip and you'll have (our) company. Details here
The following week is the S11BB, our 11th Birthday Bash in Arabba which, although an excellent week, I don't think will suit you as most of the cheaper options there are virtually sold out now.

you wrote:
I usually try and avoid ski resorts on the weekends cause they are usually busier
There are actually many resorts, particularly in France, where Saturday is change-over day with the vast majority of guests either leaving or arriving and all the staff working flat out: slopes are deserted!! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This looks like a great week! I'm going to look into this further but as you said, it is a lot closer than Serre Chevalier and looks like it would be a lot of fun. How many are going for this first week so far?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SpeedySydney, fair enough, you're planning now seems sound. The SHs bashes are very sociable...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SpeedySydney wrote:
This looks like a great week! I'm going to look into this further but as you said, it is a lot closer than Serre Chevalier and looks like it would be a lot of fun. How many are going for this first week so far?
About 10 confirmed so far but it usually ends up with about 30-35.

Also, it allows you to fly in and out of Munich. Munich to Kronplatz by train is easy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just wondering about the Kronplatz / San Martino area. I've only got limited time so choosing the right resorts is a well researched job. I love riding off piste. From what I can tell, Kronplatz isn't much a an extreme off piste resort.

Is there usually many other Snowheads that are keen to go off piste? I don't have enough experience to lead a group off piste or enough avalanche knowledge.

What about visiting other areas? Are there usually some road trips to neighbouring resorts and would the be room for me Smile

I can also help some of the other snowboarders improve their riding too if they needed any help. I've taught all levels.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This trip is looking pretty enticing, especially with a 4 course dinner each night at a good price Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SpeedySydney wrote:
Just wondering about the Kronplatz / San Martino area. I've only got limited time so choosing the right resorts is a well researched job. I love riding off piste. From what I can tell, Kronplatz isn't much a an extreme off piste resort.
True, it's not in itself but we've 'had some larks' in the trees there before now.
Quote:

Is there usually many other Snowheads that are keen to go off piste? I don't have enough experience to lead a group off piste or enough avalanche knowledge.
It's fair to say that this trip isn't the one that draws the biggest freeride-posse but yes, there's always a few of us.
There will be a lot more the following week in Arabba but that's no help to you Confused
Quote:

What about visiting other areas? Are there usually some road trips to neighbouring resorts and would the be room for me Smile
S. Martino is on the road between Brunico (Kronplatz) and La Villa which is connected to the colossal Sella Ronda circuit. (There's a lot of off-piste to be had around there!)
In the mornings, the hotel runs a shuttle service with 2 minibuses. It's literally 2mins to the first lift into the Kronplatz area. It's about 15 mins up to La Villa.
Quote:

I can also help some of the other snowboarders improve their riding too if they needed any help. I've taught all levels.
Oh cool, it's about time Custard the Rabbit learnt to do it properly Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SpeedySydney wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Planning the big European ski trip at the moment from Australia and thought about the following itinerary. I'll be doing three weeks and my other friends will do 2 weeks. One is an expert skier, other is an expert snowboard and I'm an equivalent level 3 BASI instructor.

Fly from Sydney to Grenoble or Paris or Turin or Lyon and train/bus it to Serre Chevalier

Jan 25 to 31 - Serre Chavelier with UCPA for a week. I will be by myself this week so staying with UCPA will give me a crew to ride with.
Jan 31 to Feb 1 (Saturday night) - Milan or Turin - meet up with friends and break up the travel between Serre Chevalier and Davos. It seems to be a long transfer between the two resorts.
Feb 1 to 8 - Davos staying at the Youth Hostel probably
Feb 9 to 15 - St Anton - Not sure where to stay in St Anton yet.

Any tips, advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Davos and St.Anton seems ok. (especially if you are keen of off-piste). In both places you will be able to find some groups for the free riding. In addition, forget about Dolomites. It is not the best place for the off-piste activities.
But on the other hand, try to change Serre Chavelier to the Verbier.
In this case, you will be able to find flights, for example, to Geneva or Zurich. From both places, Verbier can be easily access by train.
Also, from St.Anton you will be able to take direct train to Zurich (it is just 2h 20 minutes journey). Zeneva will far away, but not dramatically. Also, you can use train for the transfering from Davos to St.Anton. I suppose, it will be about 2h -3h journey.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Einari78 wrote:
In addition, forget about Dolomites. It is not the best place for the off-piste activities.
I disagree entirely.
2 words: Val Mezdi.
Actually, now I think of it, 2 more words: Francesco Tremolada.
Oh, and another 2: Campo Bongo! Actually that's probably only 1 : Campobongo
Quote:

But on the other hand, try to change Serre Chavelier to the Verbier.
Again, I totally disagree.
Between those two, I'd take Serre Che every time!
Quote:

Also, from St.Anton you will be able to take direct train to Zurich (it is just 2h 20 minutes journey). Zeneva will far away, but not dramatically. Also, you can use train for the transfering from Davos to St.Anton. I suppose, it will be about 2h -3h journey.
OK, now that, I can agree with Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SpeedySydey has been already in Serre Chevalier. Just for this case, and for more easy logistic from Swiss airports, I suggest Verbier.
Regarding the Dolomites - is is just names of some ski-routes, nothing more. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Personally, unless you have particular reason to go to Davos I would cull it from your itinerary. Replace with MonteRosa.
Japan on way home.
latest report
I thought Davos would be great for off piste? and for apres ski too?

I want to try and vary the trip with new places and resorts that are spread out enough. If Austria has an average season, at least I will have a good week in Switzerland / Italy or France (doesn't always work this way but Italy had a great season last year from what I heard).

Verbier is on my list for my next trip Smile

Maybe I will just book the last two weeks of the trip to lock that in - Davos and St Anton and wing the first week depending on the conditions?
snow report
Quote:

Surprisingly the cost of flying into Frankfurt, Milan, Munich, Paris etc is all around the same cost - $1500 AUD return. The open jaw is costing more than I expected at around $2000 for the two flights. I am thinking of choosing a more central airport in the alps now.

SpeedySydney, could you share which search engine did you use for open jaw tickets? I've been using ITA matrix but it ain't so easy! I might take a feather off your itinerary - the locations seem doable to me!
snow report
SpeedySydney wrote:
I thought Davos would be great for off piste? and for apres ski too?

YES, great area for the off-piste. The whole Madrisa area is especially good. Try Madrisa tour from Klosters side to the Gargellen in Austria and back. The must!!!
http://www.gargellen.at/638+M52087573ab0.html
Apre-ski is also ok.
snow report
admin wrote:

Quote:

Oh cool, it's about time Custard the Rabbit learnt to do it properly Very Happy

Oi! I heard that!

admin wrote:

Quote:

In addition, forget about Dolomites. It is not the best place for the off-piste activities.

I disagree entirely.
2 words: Val Mezdi.
Actually, now I think of it, 2 more words: Francesco Tremolada.
Oh, and another 2: Campo Bongo! Actually that's probably only 1 : Campobongo

Two more words: Val Lasties. Very Happy

Oh, and another: Marmolada. Toofy Grin

And much, much more besides. Cool

It's easy to spend a week in the Dolomites and think it's all about cruising around on perfectly groomed pistes, stopping for awesome but reasonably priced food and drink and taking in the stunning scenery (and squeezing in a little bit of Tyrolean style apres), but it's also got some of the best off-piste in the world, especially if you like things epic. Most of it isn't immediately obvious, which is nice because it leaves so much of it untracked for so long. Get a hold of Francesco Tremolada's book, "Freeride in Dolomiti" and you'll see what I mean. Or better still, get hold of Francesco Tremolada.

No, Kronplatz wouldn't ordinarily be the perfect base for off-piste, but as admin suggests, there's often fun to be had and it's easy to get over to the more interesting resorts which are all on the same lift pass. And who knows, someone might be there who can get their hands on a van. wink
latest report
I'm using SkyScanner to find flights. They usually find the best price and then I find a local agent to price match and organise it for me or sometimes I just go direct.

It sounds like the week in Kronplatz is going to be such a good week. I'm just trying to finalise a few things with work before I can book anything.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy