Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sending the other half off to learn - Castleford or Manchester?

Poster: A snowHead
In advance of a trip to Austria next March I'm looking to book a day of lessons for my other half at one of the snowdomes. Being based in Sheffield makes Castleford and Manchester the two most convenient (ha!) options. I've seen negatives of both and both are eye-wateringly expensive. Having churned out the negatives, what experience do folk have of the tuition at either and which would be recommended?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another option to keep price down if they have availability still.

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/news/115/19/Club-Beginners-Lessons.html

Or ski Rossendales own lessons

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/lesson-description.html

chillfactore have half price lessons as longas booked and started by the 7th Nov.

http://www.chillfactore.com/offers/lesson-offers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you sign up for emails, CFe will frequently send you money off offers, even in peak season. Eg the Mrs did 'learn to ski in a day', rack rate £170 now, but was on offer for a more palatable £99. Includes lift ticket and equipment. That was a few days before New Year so I assume about as peak as they get. In the months before, offers were pretty frequent. As speed098 says, on half price off peak for the first few days next week but I doubt that will be the last special offer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
speed098 wrote:
Another option to keep price down if they have availability still.

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/news/115/19/Club-Beginners-Lessons.html

Or ski Rossendales own lessons

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/lesson-description.html

chillfactore have half price lessons as longas booked and started by the 7th Nov.

http://www.chillfactore.com/offers/lesson-offers

Thanks. I saw that link on CFe however the lessons have to be taken by 7th November and there is diddly squat availability over the weekends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally, unless your other half is fit, I would not do the full day. A lot of people struggle with the pain of boots, muscles etc etc and tend to find the session after lunch is a bit of a jaunt. Its entirely up to you, but having worked at CFe for a good while, when my wife started to ski, she did the 3 week course and that was spot on for her.

Whatever you do go off peak. The joy of doing a 3 week course is that if you can do a late evening, its cheaper and there are less people on it - my wife was lucky and she only had one other girl with her so needless to say she came on a lot quicker than a group of 10!

If you can leave it late to book and are flexible, call the guys at either slope and ask how many are currently on each lesson slot and book the one with the least Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PS as @speed098, says, dont discount your local dry slope - in all honesty for a total beginner it will make no difference. The transition from dry to snow is very easy. Personally I would do the beginners course on dry to save your pennies and then do the intermediate course and practice before your holiday on snow! Oh and look at becoming a member - you may find it very advantageous!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My local ski slope is, regrettably, little more than ash and grass having been torched more times in the past five years than I care to remember.

CFe and Castleford are actually the most convenient for me, especially the former.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only advice I can give then is go off peak, you'll regret going peak as the slope is ridiculously busy and if your better half is a little nervous it may put her right off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Astraeus, i did my learning at castleford, me and the mrs did the learn in a day. I found it a great way to learn but mrs found it tyring.
instruction was good although i did find i had to figure it out myself at times, would agree with going of peak much quieter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, Has given some good advice.

I was at Ski Rossendale today and it was about as busy as CFe is during the day in the summer. You will learn just as easily on plastic ( they use snowflex on the nursery slopes so much better if you fall than dendix ).

Lessons are cheaper than CFe and much less traffic to deal with if you can then avoid around the Trafford centre area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youo couod try yhe Halifax ski slope...but i would advise the Chill factor at manchester
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The prices are crazy for tuition in the domes. But I've never tried them so can't comment.

As said above; try a dry slope; if nothing else your other half will certainly enjoy the mountains after a coule of hours in the drizzle over here wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

your other half will certainly enjoy the mountains after a coule of hours in the drizzle over here

unless it puts her off permanently. I would only suggest dry slopes for folk who are keen, don't mind a bit of painful falling over and are prepared to get a bit mucky. Though probably not as mucky as we got on having beginner lessons on a dry slope (sic, it was usually raining) in Ayrshire which had no lift, meaning you had to shoulder your skis and walk up the mud at the side.

Character building stuff.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At this time of the year looking at how crowded the fridges are a dry slope is going to be a lot quieter as so many people seem to think they are not as good. But the snow flex material is not as harsh as dendix plenty of room to practice and improve.

If unsure I would suggest a visit to check your local dry slope out.

To be honest looking at how CFe have gone with the prices for the season and how crowded ( last hour I did there managed about 4-6 runs per hour compared with 15-20 in the summer. the dry slope is still giving 15 plus runs per hour ) they are far better value plus if your other half gets used to dry slopes then it is a way to keep costs down for practicing all year round. More money left then for holidays.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The reason off-peak is off-peak is that most of us are at work. I found late Sunday evening a quiet time if you work Monday-Friday.
snow report
Corr blimey, I don't think I can stomach the CFe prices so looked at Castleford which is a much better deal. Now just to decide whether to put her through 8 hours of tuition in a day in order to save me £40 plus travel costs!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
And that theory is shot by CFe's 30% off beginner lessons offer!
latest report
Quote:

Now just to decide whether to put her through 8 hours of tuition in a day in order to save me £40 plus travel costs!!

you sound as though you are schooling a horse, @Astraeus. Does "she" have any opinion on the matter?
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
Personally, unless your other half is fit, I would not do the full day. A lot of people struggle with the pain of boots, muscles etc etc and tend to find the session after lunch is a bit of a jaunt. Its entirely up to you, but having worked at CFe for a good while, when my wife started to ski, she did the 3 week course and that was spot on for her.

Whatever you do go off peak. The joy of doing a 3 week course is that if you can do a late evening, its cheaper and there are less people on it - my wife was lucky and she only had one other girl with her so needless to say she came on a lot quicker than a group of 10!

If you can leave it late to book and are flexible, call the guys at either slope and ask how many are currently on each lesson slot and book the one with the least Madeye-Smiley

+1 for all of the above. Make sure your wife is up for doing a full day, it can be tough for many. I'm a fan of the 2 day or 3 x 2hr approach over the full day.

If you do pick the full day then weekends are very busy, if you can go on a mid week day you will be much, much better off.
latest report
I know it's early morning but....Chill factore do open early morning two days a week, 7.30 monday and wednesday, if you book wednesday for the ''breakfast club'' you get two hours of quiet skiing on fresh pisted snow, plus coffee and a bacon sandwich all for £15. sometimes by 8.30 there's only about ten people in the ski area !! again i know its early but well worth it. i go about twice a month, but get there earlier to beat the traffic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy