Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get my mates interested in skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I have a couple of mates I grew up with who I would very much love to go skiing with. We have been mates since primary school and still keep in touch even though we live in different areas of the country. Our common interest now is golf and we get together a few times each year to have a game. We are all about to turn 40 and have all got married and have kids.

I was looking at a lads ski holiday for my 40th in March, but these two mates don't ski. I have friends who I ski with each year and we always have a great time. What I would really like is for my two oldest mate to get the skiing bug. They have both had a go before. 1 on a school trip, so 25 years ago. He loved it and was very good and is still in good fitness now as he is a fireman. The other skied once in his 20's for one day only. He said he enjoyed it, but found it very difficult. He was with a work college at the time in the USA, so there were no lessons involved.

When I talk to them about the ski hols I have been on in the last 10 years they show limited interest, but I really would love them to give it a go again as I am sure they would love it. So how can I get them interested or is it a pointless exercise?

It would be great if they wanted to come on a 40th ski holiday at the end of this season. We are doing our usual Tignes (Melezes) end of season trip in April.

Any advice much appreciated
Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make it a lads holiday with skiing the secondary activity. A snowshoe tour, maybe book into a day course on beginning ice climbing, decent bars, nights out etc. Sell it on the mountain hut meals and apres Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tough one, our best friends missed out on skiing for years, we kept inviting them & they never came.

That is until 2008 when we went to Tremblant, Canada & two families actually came with us, they had a fantastic time & have since joined us on several ski holidays.

Guess it comes down to the individual, whether they are up for excitement, exercise & a few beers afterwards, on account by 10.30 you're all tucked up!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's very hard due to the high cost, especially if they have to go xmas/new year or February half term.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with Scarpa, think about what you all enjoy doing when you meet up - if it's going for a few beers, then try to sell the idea on the après ski scene. Especially as going in April potentially means beers outside in the sun, and coming back with a tan. If they're all active and sporty (but just don't ski) then sell it on hiring skidoo's or tobogganing.

That's how I sold it to my mates, I played down the skiing - and obviously then they ended up loving the skiing and we now go every year (they were 38 at the time, so similar ages)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
I agree with Scarpa, think about what you all enjoy doing when you meet up - if it's going for a few beers, then try to sell the idea on the après ski scene. Especially as going in April potentially means beers outside in the sun, and coming back with a tan. If they're all active and sporty (but just don't ski) then sell it on hiring skidoo's or tobogganing.

That's how I sold it to my mates, I played down the skiing - and obviously then they ended up loving the skiing and we now go every year (they were 38 at the time, so similar ages)

Sounds like good advice Ht and Scarpa. I will try that.
Just to be clear
I am looking at lads holidays only here and out of school holidays.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I missed out on about 6 years of skiing with my mates because they could all ski and I couldn't, so I would definitely tell them they have to go! Best thing I ever did was go with them for a week and book myself lessons. You need to get them to a decent party resort so you can really have fun in the evenings and make it as cost effective as possible - maybe a deal where beginners lessons and ski pack are already included? Depending on budget I would look at Val D'Isere as the ultimate party town (live music going on somewhere in town every night) and consider UCPA if budget is tight and you are happy to share a room with bunks (Discount code SP2015 for £10 off pp with Action-Outdoors) or I seem to remember Skiworld does the beginners package if you want something a little more comfortable. If not them it might have been Crystal. Sorry can't remember.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smagsmith, are you having your 40th on your annual trip? or another trip?

Budget an issue?

Otherwise, I'm quite surprised a little emo blackmail hasn't worked so far.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
See this thread ....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2584624&highlight=dancer#2584624
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about dryslopes/fridges? If they get some lessons and a chance to play about (especially if the freestyle toys are out)? I've seen a few beginners absolutely elated after having a go at a jump.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa wrote:
Make it a lads holiday with skiing the secondary activity....

^^ This. It's how I started. I was bullied/persuaded/arm twisted by my mates back in 2008 and have never looked back snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried this with my best mate. We've been friends for well over 20 years and I've bored her several times with my skiing obsession. She's a well travelled type and keen to try new things so she came skiing with me one year. She loved Austria, loved the mountains, the scenery, everything about it except the skiing, which terrified her. Sometimes you just have to accept you can't win them all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's hard to push people into it. And bear in mind if they do go they'll be beginners so it will be very difficult for you to spend lots of time together on the slopes.

I have really good mates that I'd love to come skiing with our regular group, but they just don't fancy it. Best off to accept that some people are weird and don't value skiing as the best type of holiday in the world Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It worked for me. One by one old mates have been converted. Last year for my 40th 2 lads I've know for 30 years came and had a great time and are booked again for Jan. It rally hejps to have more than one of similar ability - if the snow is good they wont be seeing me till lunchtime. Just remember skiing/boarding is not for everyone but the mountains, food and booze might stil

win them over.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Id been trying to persuade one of my best mates for nearly 20 years but hes the type who can just sit on a beach and do nothing for a week, all hed say is its too cold to go there and he wont get a tan (even when Id been arguing with him with the worst Goggle lines ever).

All it took in the end was for him to start seeing a bird who was into boarding and one trip later he was hooked, was good timing as they split up very soon after but shes left him with the snow obsession
snow report
Thanks for all the replies peeps. They both live fairly close to Tamworth so I just need to get them there for a taster. I know they would love it if they had a go. Ideally they could join us at melezes in April if I act fast.
Cheers
Smag
latest report
Make it a short trip, 3 days skiing only. Keep cost down, limited financial exposure and days holiday. Family will (or should) come first for hols. If they like a few days, well you are half way there.
snow conditions
You would hope you may have a bit of leverage with it being your 40th, I would try to get them to buy into the lifestyle, beer on a sunny terrace with a great view etc. I would leave the actual learning to ski until after they are committed. Place emphasis on the area, pictures of accommodation, apres bars, and other activities available.

There also may be an appeal for something like the altitude festival or live event on at the time. It does sound like they would enjoy the skiing side just that little incentive needed. Good luck.
snow report
If the 3 of you are turning 40 this year. Why not put it to them that you each get to suggest an activity that the others have to try as part of the birthday celebrations. Aim for a snow dome for yours, hope they enjoy it and, while you are there, keep going on about how much better the 'real thing' is.

Bear in mind you might end up rolling down a hillside strapped inside a big sphere in return.
snow report
just get them there and they will come back. if they have both skied even years ago hopefully they can pick it up quickly with a couple of lessons and then 1 or 2 days when away. If you are all well off then France will be great but going out in any resort in france every night is going to cost a lot. I always do catered chalet if in France as you can get well oiled on your own beer and chalet wine then hit a bar or 2. I am almost at the stage of refusing 8 euros a beer when Italy and Austria are half the price and better
snow conditions
Something like snowbombing is good as you can get them hooked on the party element and then slip in a bit of skiing/boarding. Once they have been once they will be back!
ski holidays
If the hook is the party element, surely they will argue that they can have a great party on holiday for a lot less money at a beach destination? Surely the unique thing about a skiing holiday is the skiing? All the other stuff (such as being with your mates, enjoying good scenery, nice food and drink, big social life, [hopefully] good weather, etc, etc) is a wonderful part of the whole skiing vibe, but can equally apply to other types of holiday.
snow conditions
The other guys are doing golf weekends for their 40th's, but a weekend golfing does not cost as much as a trip to the Alps. I have had a chat with one of them this week and they would deffo like to go, but can't afford it this season. So my plan now is to put a trip together for the 15/16 season and get them to that.

I agree with @rob@rar, it is not just about the party element and we can do that anywhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy