Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How late is to late??

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings All

So my Christmas plans have changed around and I can now squeeze in a weeks skiing. the problem is I need to fly out 27th December to 3rd Jan and everything is pricey(yes what do I expect Smile ). I usually book DIY but I am way to late for flights with leeds to Geneva about £450

There are two of us going, and although I am looking at a peak week, what are my chance of getting a last minute deal even if I wait until the day before? Or do I have no chance for New years week?

If I use an agent its usually Crystal ski, or there any others that would be good for a last minute deal?

cheers
Adam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the DIY accomodation is gone where we go (La Tania). If you are willing to fly out of Gatwick you might pick something up, but if the early snow falls are good then the packages will go as well I expect. Availability and not price may be the thing against you, before price
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having booked for Xmas I have been looking at all sorts of places to stay on over the New Year, apart from ridiculously expensive accommodation everywhere seems fully booked Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could check http://www.latania.co.uk/specials.php for last minute deals, but I'd imagine ny week is probably fully booked up.

There are a couple of apartments left but expensive for just 2 people
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I know the sky will fall and all that, but it's just a bit too early for me. I don't use tour operators and I generally go to North America, but it feels a bit early for me to know where the snow's going to fall.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajbaldwin, if there are just two of you, you leave it till the absolute last minute, and are prepared to fly from any UK airport you might get lucky. About now is probably the very worst time to be looking for New Year holidays. Too late for normal bookings, far too early for last minute bargains. Have your bags packed; what have you got to lose?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, I am beginning to think we will just accept coming home but keep an eye open for any last minute availability.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ooh do not know why I got that @?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes that is what I thought, bite the bullet and pay top price now for peace of mind, or fingers crossed for nearer the time - which for new years is a massive risk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I am beginning to think we will just accept coming home but keep an eye open for any last minute availability
Where do you live @ajbaldwin? You may well mock but twice in the last 3 winters we have skied between Christmas and New Year in Scotland and had a great time. That could always be an option - but you'd definitely need to check the weather forecast carefully before committing to it at the last minute.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wife and I found ourselves in the same situation... Family commitments will be over by boxing day (they're coming to us for a change) and not many people from our crowd around for NYE in London.

We just booked a week in Zermatt flying out on the 27th. Yes, the resort will be expensive, but the flights, transfers and basic hotel with Matterhorn view including breakfast comes in at £959 pp. Not bad for Zermatt. They also do half board with meals and wine included for £250 extra which seems like a good deal, but we like to try different restaurants on our trips.

It's somewhere we really want to go and being in a proper alpine town should be great for NYE itself. Plus it's a very snow sure resort.

We booked through Ski Solutions last week, but they're just reselling an Inghams package. They still have it on their website, so might be available still.

It's Hotel Atlanta, which looks to be an a good central location: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g188098-d264701-Reviews-Atlanta_Hotel-Zermatt_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Keep an eye on igluski as December progresses and you'll almost certainly get something pretty cheap as long as you're flexible: http://www.igluski.com/new-year-skiing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ajbaldwin, If you're looking to fly, I can't believe there will be any flights, certainly not at sensible prices.

For busier French resorts, you'll be struggling now for accommodation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajbaldwin, there is plenty of accommodation available. For example the first immobilier I tried for Les Arcs has 54 studios and apartments for 2-4 people at prices ranging from 524 to 956 euros. No doubt other immobiliers have similar vacancies. The flight may be a problem. And I think the direct train from London is fully booked. You could try driving.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I am beginning to think we will just accept coming home but keep an eye open for any last minute availability
Where do you live @ajbaldwin? You may well mock but twice in the last 3 winters we have skied between Christmas and New Year in Scotland and had a great time. That could always be an option - but you'd definitely need to check the weather forecast carefully before committing to it at the last minute.

mountainaddict that was me you quoted. We will have a car with us so are looking for somewhere with a little access to skiing kind of on the way home from Morzine (Jura/Vosges) that won`t cost an arm and a leg but that will have some New Year celebrations.

Scotland I'm afraid, is probably further away from us in England than many of the alpine resorts!
snow report
@ajbaldwin, Alpine answers website is used as a clearing house for quite a number of TO's during the season. Wait till you see something you want at a price you are willing to pay, be patient and open minded
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Any one waited for last minute for half term? Mrs H not coming so just me and 14yr daughter. I was hoping to find a "fill in" type deal on a chalet that has a room left but looking around may be a bit harder than I thought.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy