Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does a moderate amount of alcohol improve your performance?

Poster: A snowHead
No, I have hurt myself a few times whilst a bit boozed, I have more confidence, but less coordination. Obviously skiing drunk is lots of fun, I celebrated my birthday this year whilst doing a torchlit descent in a toga after a fair amount of pisco and beer, but I wouldn't bother skiing anything 'proper' whilst under the influence.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have had to take a few vallium tablets when skiing before because certain situations can freak me out

Shocked Seems a bit drastic. Wouldn't it be better to avoid those situations?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A small amount of alcohol is considered performance enhancing in shooting and archery as it is relaxing. Like beta blockers.

If the limiting factor is nervousness then maybe, but generally strong drink increases desire and inhibits performance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And remember Bill Werberniuk!

Personally, I don't think alcohol improves my performance at any level of consumption. I'll have a small beer about 50% of lunchtimes, but definitely not if I'm looking to do anything slightly demanding.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don’t know about alcohol, but I did once find my skiing transformed for the better by eating a giant doughnut. It turned out that the skis, piste, and weather weren’t all poo-poo, I was just really hungry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard a rumour that the piste below the Moserwirt in St Anton would be patrolled and people would be breathalysed.

...... with anybody tested to be under the limit given a stern warning and being sent straight back up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
I heard a rumour that the piste below the Moserwirt in St Anton would be patrolled and people would be breathalysed.

...... with anybody tested to be under the limit given a stern warning and being sent straight back up.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In some sports such as snooker and fencing alcohol counts as a performance enhancing drug, similar to beta blockers in controlling fine hand tremors.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was said upthread that small amounts of alcohol can help flow of performance or nerves. What is a small amount? I guess it is different to everyone.
I read up at the weekend (due to Scotland lowering the drunk in charge limit from the Uk standard 80mg to 50mg) about effects of low limits of alcohol. Research showed that 2units (that's a pint, maybe less depending on strength) slowed reaction times. On average reaction times increased by 0.2sec. If you are travelling at 30mph then this equated to travelling a further 7' before starting to react.

When I am on a skiing holiday I will have a drink or two everyday on the slopes. I am not saying DONT drink. It might even help your nerves or your confidence. But it will be detrimental to reaction times, and you don't need to be on a bender for that to take effect.

Just be aware that this will happen.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I discovered, a couple of years ago, that with X pints of stella inside me, sking switch from the MontBlanc Pub (Vallandry, LA) ... yes, down * that* bank, back home was a sobering experience..... probably good job I coudn't actually see where I was going (;>)

A snifter on the slopes, yes, absolutely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found years ago when taking part in rifle shooting competitions that after about just under a pint of beer my scores were higher than not having any beer. However after a pint and more the scores dropped off very quickly. I understand that in serious competitions today when testing takes place you would be disqualified if any trace of alcohol was found to be in your system.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The people who scare me most on piste are p1ssed up people.

I was a bit nervous today driving in monumental rain on the M6, but would the situation have been improved if I knocked back a couple of pints?

If I did that, most people here, rightly would call me a git.

Ski, then drink, That's the way. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thecramps wrote:
The people who scare me most on piste are p1ssed up people.

I was a bit nervous today driving in monumental rain on the M6, but would the situation have been improved if I knocked back a couple of pints?

If I did that, most people here, rightly would call me a git.

Ski, then drink, That's the way. Madeye-Smiley

No maybe not for you, , but if I stopped for **a pint** I'd probably not worry about being home late so much... and certainly come up with a better excuse why... and well under the limit'.

I intend, this coming season to be a 'punter' on the slopes, no big days, no 'North face of the Bellcotte' or whatever, off the back of the..... no ABS bag (still up for grans BTW)... yes, and a few beers lunchtime. Life is too short!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@allanm,+1. NehNeh to all the prissy Puritans and Methodists.
I don't equate skiing after moderate drinking to drink driving. I like rum in my morning coffee stop, a bottle of wine with my lunch followed by a mellow ski afterwards, it feels sublime. Then again I don't ski like a nutter, with or without a drink.
I can imagine a drink might help a timid skier. Leaning back & fearing the slope doesn't help technique.
Mind you, you can overdo the drinking.
http://youtube.com/v/mYjO1Vvoa5E
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Corduroy wrote:
I have had to take a few vallium tablets when skiing before because certain situations can freak me out.

Seriously? You've taken valium in order to do something for "fun"? This is a prescription drug that creates strong dependency.
snow report
My wife was "treated" to a 5 or 6 (allegedly: so I guess twice that many) "Jagerbombs" on Friday night.

She hit the treadmill on Saturday morning, holding epic speed for 50% longer than normal (i.e 40 minutes) and didn't wantto stop. Dismounted, repeated on the cross trainer.
Similar, but not so impressive acheivement on Sunday!. Back to normal Monday. She's noticed quite frequently that her run is better after a good drinking seesion the night before.

Anyone else experience similar?

That means that this years ski trip will be sponsored by Red Bull and Jagermeister Toofy Grin

Iain
latest report
I don't know if it helps ski better, but one of my favourite things on a ski trip is to stop on the mountain after a good run or series of runs open my jacket sit in the sun look at the view, and have a beer,!
snow report
@Lechbob, that video is funny, hope he went home in the gondola, acres ski up the mountain can be a dodge, lol,
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/fsCcK5D4Vqo
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/b8s8VsOvKUk
latest report
Drinks on the slopes are like skis on your feet: One is not enough and three is too many.
snow report
Would any of you ever drink and drive? For me I never touch alcohol if I am going to drive and the same goes for skiing. There are a lot of people on the slopes that should consider their relationship with alcohol, skiing and driving.
snow report
Feet up, glass of red in hand, popcorn at the side. And we're off Laughing
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:
Would any of you ever drink and drive? For me I never touch alcohol if I am going to drive and the same goes for skiing. There are a lot of people on the slopes that should consider their relationship with alcohol, skiing and driving.
Well hurray for you. Pass the popcorn and grab me a beer while your at it halfhand.
ski holidays
@biddpyat, There you go ! Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm happy having a beer at lunch on my motorbike tours Twisted Evil
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
. Must be a booger changing gear with your skis on Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
A few friends and I inadvertantly conducted an experiment 2 years ago in Verbier. We knew where we wanted to have lunch, and we had to get one girl down to a paragliding spot a bit below it after lunch. So we timed how long it took to do a particular run and back up on the lift. We ended up doing the same run several times as it fitted nicely into the time we had left before our booked lunch.
3 of us then split a bottle of wine over lunch - so a large glass each over about an hour, with food. Then skied exactly the same run, under a little time pressure, to get to the paragliding. We were all really shocked at how our reactions and speed had noticeably diminished! It was a real wake up call to me, and now I never drink when skiing until the very end of the day.

That's a flawed study and false conclusion. It is the food that caused the diminished performance. wink
snow report
@Lechbob, Laughing

To be fair, I normally ski (or try to) pretty hard when I'm out, hence not drinking anymore. But if it's an easier day (i.e. end of the season, snow not so good, lots of sun) and I'm just cruising then I'll have a beer at lunch or afternoon break. But generally if i'm not heading out for some serious-ish skiing for some reason (e.g. poor weather) I'll not ski at all, and go party hard instead! Then there are a lot of drinks involved...
ski holidays
@fixx, That is where stupidity gets me, Even in snowing whiteouts, I still have to ski, so will be out in the thick of it, of course your back bottom gets frozen on slow two man chairlifts, ( that has snow on the when you sit on them) and I get cold, then a bloody strong hot chocolate with brandy is your only man. Or two, lol.
snow report
ooooooooh , you n can't say as they do in Father Ted, AR*SE,
ski holidays
Anyway, a brandy is no harm, now LSD on a mogul field on a sunny day, THAT can be fun.
snow report
Mrs T would always head straight for the café for a Lumumba in Soldeu before her ski lesson.
ski holidays
I guess it depends on whether you mean "performance" or "enjoyment". I doubt that alcohol will improve anybody's performance, except maybe for the terminally nervous. Even then, I suspect the effect will be more to make them feel better.

In terms of the latter, ie enjoyment, it falls into "whatever floats your boat...".
ski holidays
Each to their own and there is of course a difference between performance and enjoyment. What I don't get though is that we all know that one of the key skills in skiing is balance. We also know that numerous studies have shown that even very small amounts of alcohol impair our ability to balance.

So, to answer the OP's question, I would say it's a categoric NO, a moderate amount of alcohol is going to impair performance in all but a very few cases (with those being people who are struggling with managing some of the psychological elements. It might however seriously improve your enjoyment.
snow conditions
Some people over think everything, each move etc, so their enjoyment of the wind in their hair, breeze on their face, thrill of the speed on their feet etc would be hampered by just overthinking it all, so I can imagine if they had a wine with their lunch they may adapt the ah just ski attitude and as @abd, said enjoy their run. While skiing ia all about balance it is also about rhythm and relaxation, so perhaps if you are a little more chilled both will come nicely together, just sway down the mountain, lol.
snow report
I never drink and board. I have tried it but just felt completely dehydrated and I reckon being sober keeps you on edge.

Love getting leathered from 3:30pmn though and getting the bubble down to continue the apres
snow report
I think that if you are an advanced skier / rider, you should be able to handle a few drinks and still be able to get down the hill fine. Of course a beginner / intermediate may have difficulties and probably wouldn't enjoy the experience. I think some people ski and ride with too much caution sometimes. They see a little bump ahead of them and tense up quick. After a couple drinks, they would be more relaxed and mellow and their abilities may even improve.

From my experience, I still ride well after a couple of beers or shots. I find my rhythm easier BUT I find that the board owns me and I'm on it for the ride (maybe a bit too relaxed?). When I am riding normally (not under the influence), I really like to work the board, get some pop happening out of the board in my turns.

I've got some friends that are always smoking something, have hit flasks in their jackets etc but that's how they enjoy their skiing. I don't care what other do while their skiing - as long as they can handle themselves and that they don't hurt anyone else or put others at risk (skiing fast in crowded areas, or cutting people off - I'd pull them up for that). I'm a bit more mature now but I've been there and done all that before. I've gone snowboarding with no sleep after a big night out.

Getting that mountain air is the best thing to cure any hangover. I guess it's about knowing your abilities and don't be stupid
snow conditions
@SpeedySydney, Good post, well done for staying up all night and then getting on the mountain with no sleep, I find the mountain air zonks me, and I am in bed early at night. ( see it is mountain air and not age, )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy