Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Diamir Fritschi Freeride for off piste/resort skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a pair of scott rook 172 skis and they have arrived! (I am an aggressive skier, 165cm tall and weigh 50kg). My dad has a pair of diamir fritschi freeride bindings from 2004 (i think) which he no longer needs as he is hoping to sell his stockil stormriders.

He also has a pair of downhill rossignol axial 2 120 bindings which are fairly old and heavy. The issue is will the fritschi's be ok for me? He seems to think that they do not perform very well going downhill although my uncle has them on his scott aztecs. He tours on them and does some resort skiing and seems to think they are fine. A lot of other people also think that they are ok... I will be skiing mainly off piste and some piste but hoping to have the option of skinning. The other option is to just backpack up but skinning seems a lot easier.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks

Euan Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-10-14 14:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EuanFraser, once upon a time Fritschi Freerides were state of the art. These days, they are pretty outdated. That said, sounds like they are free and they are pretty functional for touring. If funds won't stretch to some more modern touring bindings and you are sure you will be doing some touring, I'd go with the Freerides. You can always save up for some more modern touring bindings and swap them over when you get them

Their downhill skiing performance isn't great, but isn't disastrous either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, Thanks. I am on a pretty tight budget and the fristchi's are free. I am sure that i will be doing some skinning/backpacking to access areas but nothing too major. The rossignol axial 2 120 are quite old and heavy so i am not too sure...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had Fritshi Freerides a few years ago and they pre-released on piste around 80kmh ..... probably pushing them too hard ..... not fun and never skied on them again !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting about the pre-release. Many people think they're reliable enough to be skied where you really don't want them to let you down and AFAIK, the author of this page still uses Fritschis for all his skiing ... http://www.steepscotland.info/index/

For me, their biggest impediment to downhill skiing was that ever present feeling that I was skiing on little stilts, although some folk say they don't even notice it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Euan,

they'll be fine given your height/weight. I get away with them on my 179 line prophets and I'm 78kg. I'm pretty tough on my kit. I agree with others comments - plenty of better bingings around but they do the job.

J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm now on Marker Barons and they feel a lot more solid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The fritschi's have mixed opinions..I don't particularly wanted to get them mounted and have a problem. My dad especially hates the feeling of skiing on the raised bars and says that he feels that the way that the power is transferred through the ski isn't very direct but through the bar. My brother has the salomon z10 but is yet to ski them and i am minded to go for them as i can get them with mounting fairly cheap; although many reviews say that they often break and should really only be used on piste and not for a aggressive skier.. I could go for something like the salomon sth12?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@EuanFraser, if you're going to be going uphill with any regularity, forgot alpine bindings and bootpacking, and get yourself a touring binding. Free Fritschis are better than Markers/etc that you can't afford, and a million times better than bootpacking in knee deep + snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about the Salomon sth10, you can get them for around £70 on ebay?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Euan as others have said (incl your Dad), don't use the fritschi's they will hold you back with your skiing if you won't be touring. Your dad is spot on saying that the power isn't delivered well to the ski.
You need to decide what you will be doing, and what sort of boots you will be using. My best advise if your not sure yet would be given that you are an aggressive skier, to put some decent downhill bindings on your new skis, preferably new ones. Then if you want to try touring then hire the stuff.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok thanks @jbob, I have also come to the same conclusion. Would something like the salomon sth10 be suitable? Can be bought for around £70 new on ebay?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Freerides pre-released a lot, not good..............
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EuanFraser, I ran my Fritschi Explore pretty hard on piste last season including a couple of runs through a GS course. No problems although I did hold back a little just in case but I wasn't hanging about.

With regard to pre release it's important to ensure that the forward pressure is set correctly other wise they can be sloppy. In addition I added a click to the Din setting although I was running them very low due to an ACL injury but that was really for the pow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndAnotherThing.., Thanks. I think i will probably go for a downhill binding until i start touring properly
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy