Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all I am a newbie on here so be nice......

I am doing my level 1 at Hemel on the 13th October and have a few questions that I'm sure some of you can answer.

I have searched hi and low for a good review on the course but only found the post in this site for Skiing. My main question is about the mini lesson you have to give on the final day of the course. has anyone here done it? Is it difficult? overall I pick things up well and try to nail the technical side of things but as soon as i know i am being judged on something I feel like im going to crumble!

Just wondering if anyone could give me an insight in to how BASI expect you to deliver the mini lesson etc?

Cheers

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did my BASI L1 there in June. You'll be given a specific part of the central theme to deliver your lesson on and will be 'instructing' your fellow students. It's not hard if you've been paying attention and just remember to talk through the points. The main purpose is to demonstrate that you have the confidence to talk to a group and that you have a grasp of the methods and process. You learn more about actual teaching when you do your shadowing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool that sounds ok then, Best I pay full attention then! Out of interest what area did you have to deliver your lesson on?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plough parallel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you get told the day before what your lesson needs to be about?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They will also be looking at your ability to deliver clear demonstrations of what you are teaching, and give good quality feedback to the people you are teaching.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisrawles wrote:

No, just on the day. You don't need to work out a complex lesson plan or anything beforehand. It's pretty straightfoward
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sounds like I am worrying about nothing! Just need to pay attention and relax
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
where are you based Chris?

visit your lcoal slope and ask if you can shadow a few lessons before your Basi. it will really help you understand the teaching element of the course

Mini
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's a great idea.

I'm based south of Cambridge, I'm lucky that i have MK or Hemel both about 1hr away.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welwyn is probably your closest slope (Bassingbourn would have been even closer, but they are also using the slope at Welwyn at the moment).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feef wrote:
chrisrawles wrote:

No, just on the day. You don't need to work out a complex lesson plan or anything beforehand. It's pretty straightfoward

I don't mean to contradict. But the day before we were paired up & told what our phase of the CT mini lesson should focus on the next day (day 3 I think). Mine was Developing the Plow turns.
We worked out a lesson plan & practiced after the course the eve before.
Good luck
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies guys, I get the impression this course is more popular for Ski rather than boarders?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, at a rough guess I would say there are probably an order of magnitude more ski instructors than board instructors qualified through BASI.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This will explain why I got moved from MK to Hemel as the MK course did not have enough people on it. It sounds like the SkI course is more technical than the board one. Or would I be wrong in thinking that?
snow conditions
chrisrawles, Did you see this one:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29934

The teaching element is OK if you are paying attention. IIRC on the boarding it was split between, intro, side slip \ diagonal side slip, J Turns \ Garlands, Basic turns. I did mine a little while ago and it may have changed. I'm pretty sure we were told the day before.

I personally thought the boarding course was probably technically demanding in terms of performance than the ski course but I guess it depends on the circumstances at play and it is indoors. Upper body rotation was the cause of most of the fails on the course I did.
snow report
Thanks for the heads up. The thing is, I'm not actually planning on wanting to teach right away, its more for my own personal development and to also make sure I get the most of of when I go away on a holiday and can handle different situations well. But at the same time I don't like to fail!
snow report
did my level 1 snowboard there last year you get a days notice as to which part of the central theme and you have free time in the evening to practice when I did mine the instructor pick the area i need the most work on it was pretty easy

The hardest part was the text book general riding stacked and aligned after 6 years ridding with only 4 hours lesson in the beginning had given me a lot of bad habbits some of which had followed me from other board sports

the important thing is to relax and listen to the feedback

Good luck Andrew
latest report
Thanks Andrew, this makes me feel a little better. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pretty wiped out at the end of most days thorough mental tiredness.
snow report
Hi guys.

had the last level 1 session today but sadly I did not make the grade on my technical side. Passed the teaching bit easily but I seem to have a terrible habit of sitting back on my board with twisted shoulders when doing toe to heel turns. Tried so hard to shake this habit but still doing it. Anyone else do this?

My intention was never to go in to instructing but still sucks that i failed.
snow conditions
chrisrawles, stick at it. Whether or not you continue with Basi you'll have a good idea on how to improve technically.
latest report
Chris just stay up, when i did my lv.1 many friends (4out of 9 if i remember correctly) failed.. many of them now are much better riders and instruct! So take the "fail" as an imput to progress, you'll do fine next time!
latest report
Yep, sometimes failing can be the best thing to happen to us. It's a wake-up call that you need to work on your riding and make progress.

I'm sure the trainer discussed it with you, but my suggestion for working on your toe/heel turns with better posture would be to get yourself on a toe-side traverse in a good, stacked position. Even do some little hops off the edge to make sure you're centred. Then make the turn using pedalling only, nothing else.

I was completely self-taught and had been riding a lot longer than you (including a couple of seasons) so I had some massively ingrained habits to get rid of. Still working on some of them!
snow conditions
I am by no means giving up, and considering I only learnt to board in Jan this year I think I have done well to almost be at a level to teach others. Only 3 passed out of 10 and most of them are level 2 ski instructors so its not all bad.

Doing the course has certainly made me more aware of what a good session should feel like and I can also help the other half (if she lets me LOL)

At least I have a reason to go to a indoor slope and practice something, rather than just looping round riding just for the hell of it which gets boring.
ski holidays
3 out of 10 passed a level 1!!!??? Bloody hell! Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's more like a level 3 pass-rate!
snow conditions
All failed on Technical side. Just a bad batch of use boarder i guess LOL
snow conditions
I wonder how much tuition people take before they decide to start instructing?

If you really only started to learn to ride in January this year, you'd need to be a pretty good athlete to have it dialled by now, in my opinion. I've never ridden with anyone, local or otherwise, who could ride well without having to spend a few seasons at it. 10,000 hours, maybe.
ski holidays
@philwig,
Quote:

could ride well

I suspect your definition of "ride well" and BASI's are somewhat different Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy