Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski jackets partially insulated shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new ski jacket and recently tried on a 686 GLCR hydra which was a kind of lined shell with a bit of insulation over the chest and back. I really liked the lightness and idea of a shell with a bit of insulation but it had a stupid off centre zip that made the collar come up too high and was just annoying so does anyone know of any other jackets with this kind of style of a light shell with a bit of insulation?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why?

Idea of layering is separating insulation from protection.

Much better idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So for 90% of the time I don't have to deal with a mid layer

if its a cold day i add a warm layer
if its a normal day i can ski with just the jacket and base layer
if its a hot day i open all the vents

maybe I've yet to really see the benefits of a shell but at the moment i'm just not that convinced especially as a lot that i've seen seem to be lacking in the pocket deptartment... maybe i'll look into pure shells again
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just received the Sweet Protection Duke jacket. Goretex and primaloft. Very nice jacket
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ozbozz123 wrote:
So for 90% of the time I don't have to deal with a mid layer

if its a cold day i add a warm layer
if its a normal day i can ski with just the jacket and base layer
if its a hot day i open all the vents

maybe I've yet to really see the benefits of a shell but at the moment i'm just not that convinced especially as a lot that i've seen seem to be lacking in the pocket deptartment... maybe i'll look into pure shells again

That all sounds right for a normal shell, too, just more versatile at the normal/warmer end of the spectrum. Getting one with insulation largely defeats one of the key reasons to get a shell; you jsut restrict your versatility...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ozbozz123, and, "ski" jackets are often a bit lairy to wear down the pub whereas shells are often much more polyvalent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy