Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Breckenridge?

Poster: A snowHead
A question for those with previous experience in Breckenridge (or nearby resorts) - what's the drive from Denver Int'l up to the resort like? Google maps has enlightened me to a certain amount (I'm now aware that we have to cross almost the entirety of Denver and that most of the route is on the Interstate) but I'm after a bit more detail or even local knowledge.

We're landing at about 1600 on a Friday afternoon in February (17th) and there's currently something of a debate amongst us as to whether it's reasonable to try and reach the resort in one go. My thoughts are that if everything goes smoothly, it could be OK but if we get delayed, there's bad traffic, bad weather or some combination of all three, it could be a relatively painful experience. Particularly if it snows and we're crawling into the resort at the equivalent of 4am UK time or later.

Realistically, are we likely to hit conditions that make the journey dangerous? (for UK drivers not used to big SUVs or snow...) Are the roads likely to be clear unless we hit crazy weather or could we be in for a repeat of my 7-hour nightmare journey from Bourg St Maurice to Val? (Long story that one...)

As you might have guessed from the sub-text in this post, I'm rather more keen on crashing out (no pun intended) in a cheap motel near the I-70 somewhere over halfway or before the roads get potentially tricky and then making an early entry into Breckenridge - at least then if the weather is iffy we can tackle it in the light and with the driver possibly somewhat more refreshed.

Thanks

S.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
starnberg, Personally I prefer to crash in Denver for a night. There's quite a few well-priced hotels just off Pena Boulevard (the road that leads to the airport). By the time you've cleared immigration, got luggage, got hire car etc I can guarantee it'll be around 17:30, or the early hours of the following morning our time. There is no point setting out on a friday night rush hour crawl up I-70 (especially if the weather is dodgy and the stretch limos are sliding all over the shop - I've seen it!) when you're bound to be dog tired and when you can acclimatise down in Denver and head up very early in the moring - with jet lag you'll be wide awake at 2 or 3 in the morning US time so you can set off real early and have the road to yourself - shouldn't take you more than 2 hours. With Breck being at 9600 feet I think it is well worth spending at least one night down at 5000 feet - your body and brain will thank you for it. I go there almost every April and I've seen too many Brits suffering the effects of altitude... doesn't matter how fit you are; that's almost irrelevant... it'll get you, shortness of breath, bangin' headache etc.

I've also learned that 2 buckets of beer doesn't help the headache either. Anyway, lucky you. .. you'll be one of the first to use the new chair on peak 8... up to 12,800. Phew.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JohnHill, very good advice.

in zero traffic it will be a two hour and fifteen minute drive. that is predicated upon clear roads. i assure you. the dept of transportation does everything in their power to keep the road clear. the only issue becomes the eisenhower tunnel area. if you are going to drive friday night, get a bite to eat and set out between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. you won't have traffic to deal with at that time.

the weather can be terrible and the road will be clear. don't worry about the weather. the issue is more the volume of traffic at varying times.

the info above is good vis a vis getting acclimated. breck is one of the higher towns in the USA at 9600 feet. IF you have not had difficulty in the past go friday. if altitude has been an issue spend the first night in denver on Pena boulevard.

as an aside, skip the anti altitude sickness medicine. stay well hydrated and new info points to a high carbo diet for three days prior as having good results.

jet lag is a bigger issue.

if you go saturday morning it is a mess. go very, very early or late. by early wheels rolling out of the airport area by 5:00 a.m. and passing golden colorado by 5:30 a.m. if not wait until noon! average trip to breck on a saturday morning from denver is well over three hours. with bad weather it can be worse.

enjoy your stay. if you would like a day trek to the resort, with imho, the best snow in colorado, come take a lesson from me at winter park! i can also recommend a great instructor at breck named rik herwehe. long time psia examiner and a ton of fun. if you book him mention my name.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys - have passed on the info. I rather suspect I'll be railroaded into heading up on the Friday night, but forewarned is forearmed and all that. Plus if it all goes pear-shaped I'll be the one with the moral high ground Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
there isn't much in the was of food outside the airport on your route. if it appears you have missed rush hour( after 6:30 p.m.) stop in idaho springs. in a strange kind of way it is a quaint little town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rusty,

just a few more q's for ya !

im coming on the saturday the 25th of feb landing about 1630hrs.

How long does it normally take to clear the airport?

How long should it take to drive to w/p at this time?

They hire GPS now for about $10/day is it worth it or will map and compass do ?(is it easy to get around)

Check ur PM about lessons with you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a convenient thread! I’m in to Denver about the same time as Royal and have hired an MPV to get there - am I going to need snow chains at any point on the way?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rusty, how would I go about getting in touch with Rick? Is the best way to go through the reservation system on breckenridge.com? (PM me if it's more appropriate?)

May well nip over to Winter Park so I may be giving you a shout about a lesson too...

Starnberg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal, clearing the airport depends on whether you've flow direct from the UK. Denver has relatively few international flights, and when a big plane lands directly from the UK, the system can get swamped.

Last time I was there, I had to queue for more than an hour with three knackered kids just to be allowed into the country. If your airline allows you to choose your seats, sit near the door and leg it as fast as you can to immigration. It's a long walk, so you should be able to overtake the unprepared masses.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Royal, i sent an e-mail response. i was confused by the address and by your query about customs. i have no idea how long customs will take. i would rate baggage service at DIA as average in comparison to other US airports.

no need for gps as noted. the drive to winter park is easy. i also covered how to book a lesson.

d811yc, no need for chains. don't know where your driving to from denver, however, the one thing we do well is keep the roads clear. on occasion, chain restrictions will be posted for trucks (lorries) (sp?) on the major passes.

starnberg, all lessons in the US go thru the local resort ski school. it is not like europe. simply contact breck via phone or e-mail and ask to book a lesson with rick herwehe. his last name is pronounced "her-wee". he is a very nice guy and great teacher. he was my full-cert (level III) examiner. as an aside our cert numbers work in reverse order from the basi system with I being the lowest. i'd love to help you if tou would like to see winter park. if you come i'll buy a pint or two and dinner. i'll also wager a meal that once you experience our place you'll never return to breck!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow is a big and great issue right now
If your going to drive visit http://www.dickgilbert.com/I-70cams.htm
Look at the road to Breck etc
Then decide!
H
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wildwilly, please don't create a needless frenzy. the roads are fine. i assure all..... the ski industry is powerful enough that the very last thing they want is access from DIA to the mountains to be hindered.

go to the colorado department of transportation website and view the webcams on any given day for I-70.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To Rusty Guy
You must missed the carnage over the last couple of weeks(?) Last Monday was a bad day crushed vehicles no rush to get them out - no point! Always check out the roads - I been doing this run since 1989 - Always check the roads.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wildwilly, im sure we all check the roads before we travel in winter conditions, after all, Im sure your aware (as your location says uk) how bad we brits cope with a sprinkling of snow.

I dont see your point though, were talking about travelling in several weeks from now not what happened last week ?

I was just after some general info for colorado.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Royal, i started to respond to the guy and gave up. last monday was sunny and dry. i don't quite understand the guys use of terms like carnage or crushed vehicles.

i spoke to several folks who drove over berthoud pass sunday. the road was snowpacked and the trip was easy. to be perfectly clear, berthoud pass is an exceedingly wide highway with multiple lanes, wide shoulders, guardrails, etc. drive it at a reasonable speed in ANY conditions and you'll have smooth sailing.

i look forward to seeing you
snow report
The biggest shock for me when I first drove in Colorado was the size of a typical US motor. I didn't hire an SUV, and I felt like there was a flashing neon arrow hanging over my miniscule sedan screaming 'European'.

My embarrassment was compounded when I later went to fetch my car from the parking lot of my condo, and discovered that the space was so huge that I'd actually parked across it Embarassed - I couldn't believe that something that big was meant for one car, so I'd imagined a line splitting it in two. By now the place was full of behemoths carefully parked at 90 degrees to mine.
snow conditions
LOL
snow report
Royal, btw....49" base, 128 inches of snowfall this month as of last wednesday (that's ten feet people)!

more snow on the way today. every day it's knee deep fluff....the best snow since 1983!

http://www.grandcountynews.com/winterparkmanifest/winterparkmanifeststories.html#news1

come to winter park folks because we have the most snow in the state.
latest report
thats just greedy.

seriously, with that much snow does it present avalance risk ?
snow report
Royal, yes and no. inbounds the ski patrol does an aggressive job to make things safe. keep in mind the morning fluff becomes early afternoon crud and bumps by evening. what isn't bumped up is groomed although we do less grooming than most resorts. we have terrain that is not open yet due to it not having been boot packed and hence is deemed not stable.

out of bounds it's a different situation. i use this site for my morning weather forecast. everything north of I-70 is considered the northern mountains. these guys give a good forecast.

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanche/Default.aspx?tabid=106
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy