Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BD Amperage for 188cm/88kg (6'2/195 lbs)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
newbie question - I am experienced on-piste and a bit less experienced off-piste skier, looking for finally having some proper skis for those of-piste trips to ski resorts (Chamonix is my area for fun). Till now I used my ski touring set (some light K2s) but they are too much of a compromise for weight. I am looking for maybe 70% off piste powder (but not really pristine since resorts are popular) and maybe 30% on piste fun.
Long story short - Amperage seems like perfect ski (based on reviews and brief encounter with them last winter). According to BD size chart, for my weight, 195 cm model is best suited.
This seems a bit too long - from my experience with non-carved skis back then, having one cca 195cm long ones, they were very hard to make turns in powder. I know we're in 21st century and things have changed dramatically, but - is this really good size for me?

I am not that into super-fast riding down, rather savouring slow (not granny slow!) turns in powder. I realize I will have to grow into them, that's fine with me. It's just about being sure they are a good match to my needs/body. And of course I don't want to go too deep into snow, for which more ski surface is needed (and hence probably bigger size recommendation).

Thank you for any insight/experience Wink

Martin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With a tip and tail rocker these skis will feel quite a bit shorter on hard snow. On powder the whole length of the ski can come into play, but it won't be too long for you. The shape of the ski means the tails won't get bogged down and you will be able to butter and slide your turns.

For reference I ski the Rossi S7 which has about the same width and shape and the Amperage. I ski them in 188cm and when I bought them I was about 72kg. I have put on a fair bit of weight from weight training since then and I'm up to 81kg, and my next pair of off piste skis will probably be a little longer. So 195cm is on the money for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank you for reassuring me Smile
last question - till now, except for ski touring skis, I always bought skis with bindings as a set. These come alone - any recommendation on bindings? I mean, any normal will do, or is there any gain in going for something more expensive?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@saiyajin, if you go for marker f12 you will be able to use them with your touring boots as well as your alpine boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, i have Scarpa maestrale ski touring boots, and compared to regular ski boots, they are not that comfortable for all day skiing (for touring itself they are pretty good). Standard ski boots are much more comfortable, plus its 4.4 kg skis and heavy bindings... I'll stay with just of piste ski resorts with Amperage
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MMMMM you're not THAT heavy… Normally I'm all for big skis, but I don't think there's any reason to jump to 195 unless you're looking to mach big GS turns down everything. If you prefer to keep things slower with make lots of shorter turns I think you'd prefer the 188s. Not that the 195s would be hard to turn, it's just it doesn't sound like your style would suit that sort of gun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you looking for an AT binding that you can skin with (like the Marker Duke, which are a bit heavy but would probably fit the bill from the point of view of your weight and are OK from a quality/robustness view) or a straightforward downhill binding? If the latter, I would go for a binding which has approximately a range of DIN 6-16 at your weight. The Marker Jester would be one possibility.

Not that I am a particular fan of Marker bindings....other manufacturers have comparable products, the Marker offerings are just an example.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looking for pure downhill bindings, since I already have a complete touring setup that is balanced and lightweight.
thanx for recommended DIN settings, I guess any reasonable binding will do.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
one more idea / question - got downhill bindings on few year old Heads that I don't plan to use anymore (probably also Head bindings, don't have them around now).
Is it OK to ask shop to take them off and put them on new skis?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will probably find that the ski brakes of your old bindings are not wide enough to fit on a ski with 115mm underfoot. It might be possible to get wider brakes, but this may begin to get complicated if the bindings are a few years old. In a borderline case it's possible to simply bend the brakes out a bit, but I imagine they are a lot narrower than required, since this seems to be your first foray into a wide pair of skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
good point, haven't thought of that. yes, my first foray into these things Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy