Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interski, La Thuile, Champoluc, Courmayeur, or Pila?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Looking to organise a school trip next season, and looking for some feedback on the suitability of each of those resorts.

I've experience of all these areas (skied but not stayed in some) minus Monte Rosa which will be remedied at the start of next month but I will be based in Gressoney.

Courmayeur Nice if limited area for a week, I think there's possibly an issue with a lack of slopes to offer progression for complete beginners? The beginners area is right up the mountain which is good, but one of the only blues I remember has a relatively steep section? Otherwise for intermediates there are some nice reds. I'm pretty sure the accommodation is in Dolonne.

Pila Bigger than Courmayeur and IMO offers much better progression for beginners. Accommodation used is all down in Aosta so a daily bus up required.

La Thuile La Thuile is the most hazy in my memory and have never stayed at the base, skied over from the French side many years ago and then did one day a few years ago when based in Courmayeur. Probably best suited to intermediates? I remember plenty of nice long reds including through tress lower down. I'll never forget the link over to the French side though, but if you use it opens up a pretty big area.

Champoluc No idea. Only added to the Interski list of resorts in the last few seasons, Monte Rosa on the face of it would offer the largest area with something for everyone and potentially more of it than the others?

La Thuile is the most expensive, there isn't much in it with the others that would make it a factor.

I may or may not go on this trip, joined a mate working for Interski on several occasions and if you can live with the bus seems to be a very good operation running an attractive formulae for a school type trip, tuition, gear (including clothing if required) all meal, and activities in the evening. Actually I think the bus might work in the favour of such a trip, stick the kids and luggage on and other than ferry and toilet stops less of a worry kids getting lost in the airport, less hassle checking in, collecting luggage at the other end.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Bene, teaching with Interski in Pila for the first time in March, however I think you get up there by gondola now from Aosta rather than a bus
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abd, I think they tend to stick instructors in accommodation by the gondola, but they do tend to bus the kids wherever they are. Know quite a few Interski instructors, with Aosta being quite large I think in the past they've been put in accommodation all over the city too. How many weeks are you doing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Bene, I'm doing 2 weeks 9/3 & 16/3, before the rush of Easter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Thuile has very limited nightlife but in all other respects gets my vote. Courmayeur and Pila are easily accessible by bus from there and as you know as long as high winds don't close the link La Ros is connected.
Plenty for beginners, although skiing top to base involves red runs they are very easy reds that most beginners will progress to after a few lessons and of course there is always the gondola to come back on for the novice. My second ever trip skiing was there and several of the reds were far easier than some of the blues I encountered on my first ski trip. I am headed out there tomorrow. Can't wait.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wife school trip was to Pila this year with Interski I am sure they would discuss how it went directly with you if you want to PM a email address. Interski do know what they are doing and have the formula honed. Their trip was a Year8 group so a lot of beginners. Bus is always handy for Apres stuff too so well worth the pain of 26hrs on it.

However, we go to Pila every year, though I have not been to the other resorts in the Valley as though we get a "free" away day on the lift ticket we have never bothered as we like Pila so much. Why spend and 1hr in the car each way when we could just walk 20m from our hotel to the ski run.

Yes Interski do stay down in the valley and not always in Aosta now. Wife's school were even further down the valley requiring a 30min bus trip to Aosta and then the Gondola up to Pila (20mins). This gondola drops you at the village and the Interski meet but Pila's main teaching area is up the top of the resort (high so good snow) and is very wide and pretty flat. There is a 2nd Gondola up to this area too so absolute beginners do not need to worry about coming through the busy funnels, as in all resorts, back to the town and the Aosta download. So assuming the kids are mainly beginners Pila is good. If there are better skiers that is not a problem as there are plenty of challenging red runs and they are all quiet during the week. There is limited black run skiing 2 Pisted runs and a wide hill side that they do not Piste for either powder to moguls depending on when it last snowed. Couis1 lift then up a covered carpet lift.

They will get food vouchers from Interski for their on mountain food but you will be pleased to know it is very reasonable prices compared to France. Try the Prossecco for €3 which comes with nibbles too - amazing value. They all do it but best nibbles, cheese bread and sausage, are in http://www.lachatelainepila.com/index-en.php or super h'ors deurves in http://www.ristorantesociete.it/index.php?lang=en both off La Nouva Lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pila is arguably best for your beginners while offering lots for experienced skiers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy