Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Higher - Free to Watch today

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, sure, I don't disagree with any of your points (been there, done that too - splitting since 2007, even did my instructor's EMS / Off-Piste Safety exam on my splitboard!) but nevertheless, Voilé plates and standard bindings are a cheap and quick way to break into touring.

I've seen the Karakoram lock-down system - I think you can get something similar for the latest Spark bindings. I have to admit that I'm very hesitant. A 163cm pair of skis with non-releasable bindings? Hmm....
Doesn't help that I'm not a great skier - I can get around resort pretty well, but skating efficiently seems to elude me!

I gradually upgraded my setup over the last couple of years, now on an Amplid Morning Glory with Spark bindings. Loving it. I can skin efficiently, traverses are reasonable and kick-turns no bother. Would really like to step-up to the Spark Tesla system for faster change-overs, but can't really justify the cost right now.

I'm also an IML which makes me the closest thing there is to a professional snowshoe-er. I'm happy to state that snowshoes SUCK. Nice for pleasant walks in the forest, horrible for climbing mountains.

Long drags out are generally avoidable with smart planning. Yeah, I've been on stuff where there's been no choice but to re-split and skin out, or worse, post-hole out, but it's usually avoidable. You make it part of the ride. Instead of going straight to the flats and taking the obvious line out, you either traverse and hold height or put a short skin in at an appropriate moment to get to a spot you can ride out from. Nothing worse than having a skier leading the group who stops in a flat spot just to say "OK guys, it's a bit flat from here, might have to skate a bit". Cheers dude! Thanks for making me ditch the 50kph I was holding just in case!

Quote:

went back to skiing

And if you never skied? wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd wrote:

And if you never skied? wink

Aaaaahh valid point there, can't argue that one wink

Similar to my mate on the Jones Split and Karakoram bindings, he never skied and we rib him that with all the kit he now has he might as well be skiing. When he breaks the board down to do a bit of skating / skiing we always have a camera at the ready as we can be pretty sure that an amusing moment will soon follow Laughing

Choosing routes for snowboard touring is what it's all about, but sometimes in virgin terrain (where it's new to everyone) even with a guide leading (who is snowboard savvy) you can still end up with a long flats especially on run outs back into the valley.

I was just having a look back at some of our films that are out in cyber space and this one
2003 Whatever - Ski touring Mont Thabor Val Claree Nevache from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/37022327 was from 2003 and has some nice moments in it. Bit of a montage from the looks of things over a few days as you'll see a Swallow Tail in there as we sometimes toured with those !!!!

This is more or less in my back yard over the back from our place in Serre, where we end up at the end.

And back to Mr Jones was listening to the interview again as the Mrs was transcribing it, and he is so passionate about split boarding, when I asked him where development is going he reckons we're just on the tip of real evolution of hardware !!!!

PS have not heard about Sparks will look them up
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spark heel-lock system: http://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/tesla-kits-accessories/heel-locker/

UK pricing at The Sick & The Wrong: http://www.snowboardexperts.co.uk/product-category/splitboarding/splitboard-bindings/spark-bindings/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy