Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Binding De-Icer Tool

Poster: A snowHead
A comment/question from a customer prompted me to this post this.

Most touring bindings at some will get clogged up with compacted snow/ice, especially the framed versions.

To my customers who purchase touring bindings I recommend having a small lightweight combination pick/brush in your backpack so when removing/installing skins you can give the bindings a quick poke/brush and they you'll have no problems whatsoever.

The best brush I found is a stainless steel brush that's made by Stanley & comes in a pack along with a nylon and brass version for just £2.98 from B&Q http://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-abrasive-brush-set/30496_BQ.prd

Simply cut a bit off the end of the plastic handle of the stainless steel brush and whittle it to a blunt point so you now have a stabber/pick to break-up any compacted snow/ice and a stiff brush to clear out the snow. Simples.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I prod with a ski pole and brush it out with fingers. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damned good idea fella Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use this, also ideal for lighting ciggies when it is windy

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or defrosting goggles.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good for chasing slow people up the hill as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bacon and eggs on a Gnar day Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Without disregarding Spyderjon's product which is probably fantastic for a range of tasks if you have Dynafiddles the thing for getting stones out of horses hooves on Swiss knives is also good for removing ice from boot lugs. Spyder's pick tool may do that job too - it would need to be quite pointy, comments?

Now a couple of points.

When you change from uphill to downhill on your 'fiddles try locking the toe+, if it won't lock it probably because there is ice in the lugs. You will be able to ski but the toe will prerelease if any force is applied.

I know of a couple of cases where people have died after toe piece pre-release so it is a potentially serious problem.

+Remember to unlock afterwards unless you specifically want you toe locked.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a toothbrush, also with the handle sharpened to a point. Particularly useful for Barons / Dukes when the area under the lever is clogged.

Agreed with davidof on the issue of clogged boot lugs for tech bindings. That there pointy thing is v useful and my pointy-ended toothbrush def not pointy enough for the job.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, general thinking is not to use metal objects for clearing ice out of dynafit toe inserts as over time this scratches the surface of the insert which then make sit more prone to icing...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing wrote:
davidof, general thinking is not to use metal objects for clearing ice out of dynafit toe inserts as over time this scratches the surface of the insert which then make sit more prone to icing...

so Spyderjon's resin tool would be better then?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, My tool is pointy & tough enough to clear out my toe inserts & in/under the toe binding etc. The point/brush also cleans out the heel insert as well Cool

And, yes, you definitely don't want to be scratching the metal inserts.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 25-10-14 11:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo wrote:
I use a toothbrush, also with the handle sharpened to a point. Particularly useful for Barons / Dukes when the area under the lever is clogged.

And for your stretch in Wormwood Scrubs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

Very Happy

THAT'S why you should always carry a metal shovel . . . ya can't fry yer sausage on plastic.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
zammo wrote:

Go on son, fuckin shank im!!!
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
davidof wrote:

Very Happy

THAT'S why you should always carry a metal shovel . . . ya can't fry yer sausage on plastic.

Damn good point.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
zammo wrote:

Go on son, fuckin shank im!!!

I'm off to take apart a razor and attach a blade to the aforementioned toothbrush .....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy