Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2014-2015 : Arabba/Selva/Corvara/Canazei etc......

Poster: A snowHead
gamekeeper wrote:
Any thoughts on whether it would be too risky to book the final week of the season in the Dolomites ie 5-12 Feb?

We went last year, just after the major snowfalls so hit it really lucky, but this year didn't book anything due to work commitments. It now looks as if we could go that Easter week - but the snow has not been great this year, so can't decide whether to hold off booking..(I think I know the answer really, wait and see, but interested in any opinions going)

I think you mean 5-12 April (not February)

The snow has not been in abundance this year but there is still a metre or so on the mountain in many areas. The next ten days look to be mostly dry as well. However April is still a long way away and anything can happen from now till then. For that late in the season in the Dolomites I would personally wait a few more weeks before deciding. But as that week is Easter holiday I'm not sure what the availability will be like for accomodation. Could be worth doing a quick search on some of the tourist board accomodation pages to see what the availability situation is like for then
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@albob, may not be new but it whisks you from the bottom of saslong to the col roger (sp) and from there ski round to seiser alm

Marmoloda for me today - quite a view from the top, glad I went early as the queue for the 2 man chair from the portavescovo mid station was MASSIVE as I came back thru about 11.30

Colfosco in the afternoon and the nice quiet pistes up above the village

Pistes perfect but anything on the SR gets 5 times the traffic and so gets mogulled.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Red 27 the snow in the ski Dolomitti area is perfect at present. Enjoy all those coming next week. Re Moguls how about peoplewho can ski actualy try to flatten them out rather than skiing around them and making them worse?
Goiny to head to La Villa for the final blast tomorrow, its been a great week Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
@albob, may not be new but it whisks you from the bottom of saslong to the col roger (sp) and from there ski round to seiser alm

Marmoloda for me today - quite a view from the top, glad I went early as the queue for the 2 man chair from the portavescovo mid station was MASSIVE as I came back thru about 11.30

Pistes perfect but anything on the SR gets 5 times the traffic and so gets mogulled.

That 2 man chair is a travesty they really need to replace it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:

Thx again for the reports red 27

Yes that train takes you up to Col Raiser. But from there you can only ski down to St Christina or Ortisei. You would then have to get the gondola from Ortisei up to Seiser Alm. I assume that is what you did as you cant ski from Col Raiser directly to Seiser Alm as its across the other side of the valley?

Suprised to hear about the pistes above Colfosco being quiet as its usually quite busy up there especially at the Edelweiss hut. Hope it stays quiet for my trip to the area soon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry - I meant 5-12 April in my question above re booking Dolomites for Easter. Will wait and see nearer the time I think - doesn't have to be Italy, could be anywhere we can find flights and accommodation, but we did enjoy the Dolomites, so def want to go back. Thinking of booking Feb half term for next year (our last year ever of being restricted to half term/school holidays!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just had a few very enjoyable days in this area, snow good but so warm compared to Tignes Very Happy

Stayed here http://www.hotelmontecivetta.it/ Good rooms, very clean & excellent food.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing lightly tonight in Arabba. Been to Col Raiser today and was intending to ski down to Ortisei but left late this morning and was concerned I'd be racing to get back with possibly everyone else around that time. All pistes seemed in excellent condition with no slush anywhere. Some bits on steep runs e.g. Saslong were a little scraped but fine really.

The Dantercepies gondola seems to have been upgraded. I'm sure the onboarding station had moved down the slope nearer to the town centre. May be wrong p Puzzled

Did Alba and Pozza yesterday and did the new Vulcano black run down to Pozza. Very nice. I've been told there will be a cable/gondola from Alba to somewhere near the Belvedere area. It's also shown on the post map, coming in the next season. You will be able to download to Alba using this, saving time if you want to do that area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pokemon, If you ever get stuck in Ortesei, remember the bus would run you back to Selva.. (it is not free - think 5 euro for the week..?)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pokemon, i assume that the new Vulcano black run comes down generally under the gondola from looking at last years piste map.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The Dantercepies gondola seems to have been upgraded

it was, just in time for last season Wink
it was being replaced anyway, but the old one got take out by a landslide just as they had started dismantling. the Cir black piste is significantly re-engineered too at the top.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pokemon, "..I've been told there will be a cable/gondola from Alba to somewhere near the Belvedere area. It's also shown on the post map, coming in the next season..."

They look to be well on with this

http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/displayimage.php?album=364&pid=22621#top_display_media
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jimmybog, yes you're quite right of course - I went via ortesei without really knowing it was ortesei (which strikes me as a decent place to base yourself)

Last day today Sad so spent it hooning around alta badia. Loved the black run down from piz Ladja to La Villa

Great trip - loved the area and the people and the snow and the food!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

(which strikes me as a decent place to base yourself)

My suggestion is that Ortisei is not that great a base. We spent half term there. Seiser Alm is the only really accessible bit, and it's painfully slow getting round there and the pistes are pretty dull. To get to the SR or anywhere else necessitates either a long bus ride or the nightmare telesiege to Seceda. Our hotelier warned us off it but we stupidly didn't listen and queued for nearly an hour.

I love the dolies, both winter and summer, and had a great holiday last week. But won't be going back to Ortisei.

Arabba on the other hand.....mmmmmm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@red 27, "..Loved the black run down from piz Ladja to La Villa..." Now that is a proper Black run - unrelentingly steep all the way to the bottom....
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@red 27, "..Loved the black run down from piz Ladja to La Villa..." Now that is a proper Black run - unrelentingly steep all the way to the bottom....

And a fab venue for synchro ski drills set by particularly welsh ski instructors
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
albob wrote:

And a fab venue for synchro ski drills set by particularly welsh ski instructors

You're just saying that to scare me, aren't you? wink
Not long now Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@bertie bassett, @Red Leon, Shocked
snow report
Dolomites look to be having a good season. Not too much snow and sufficient tops ups each week. The ski lifts and pistes have been reliable compared to some of the problems parts of the western Alps have had in terms of storms, lack of snow, too much snow, high winds and road access etc?

With regard to snow making, out of interest has anyone seen any of the snow cannons operating recently? I get the impression that they are used at the beggining of the season and then later on only at vulnerable or high traffic areas. Presumably after 30 years of experience they know which runs won't need any more snow after a certain point in the season which explains the removal of some of the mobile cannons ?
snow report
@albob, thanks for the bus comment. We did Ortisei the following day (Friday) but set out at 9am so had plenty of time including a drink stop at lunch. Unfortunately the visibility was worse on the Friday, especially higher up but still enjoyed the long piste down to Ortisei. Now back home and wishing I was still there. Conditions were excellent all week. We improved our bump skiing technique a bit, as some runs are consistently moguled in the afternoon, especially earlier in the week with fresh snow.

@riverman, yes exactly. I loved this run as it was pretty steep in places but also generally empty. I think it's a good choice over the red as from memory and seeing the red piste skiers converge at the bubble, it appears the red involves some potential polling towards the end.

@Peter S, I never saw a cannon going at night whilst I was there but there was plenty of snow. Some runs, especially in Selva were getting a little scraped and icy on the steep bits but nothing bad. The worst problem I had was skiing back to the hotel (near to the Alpenrose), where you cut across the playground area off the side of the black piste into Arabba. At the end of Monday (IIRC) I almost broke my ankle as I managed to ski over exposed grass with one ski. This ski came to an abrupt halt making me lurch forward. My own fault but it does show that in places the depths off piste are not huge. It was covered the following day as it snowed again.
latest report
@TheGeneralist, I bow to your greater expereince - I must admit I was just passing through and the bus was bang empty but it was lunchtime.

Back in the UK now - one of the all-time great trips - although that being my first TO trip for years, I'd forgottoen the madness of the Saturday transfer. Innsbruck airport and 5000 people isn't really a great combo Shocked

Food in the Portavescoco was fantastic and the Maitre d' is quite a character too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Seems to be snowing quite heavily in the Dollies this morning Very Happy
http://www.val-gardena.com/en/sochers--live/page778.html
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
@bertie bassett, @Red Leon, Shocked

BB is way more competent than me and I scare easily Embarassed
latest report
We did a Sunday to Sunday week last week and Saturday morning heading from Canazei to the Marmolada was one of my best days ever on skis. Blue skies, great snow and virtually deserted pistes... the lift queue at Canazei was 20 minutes Weds-Fri - and walk straight into an empty gondola on Saturday morning. Bliss!
snow conditions
@Applespider, I found the same queue time when I was there some years ago - avoiding ski-school times helps a lot. We started to go to Alba for a few hours before returning to hit the Ronda.....
snow conditions
The Alta Badia web site is predicting horribly warm weather for the next week. Would appreciate reports from the field as we are off to Pedraces on 15th March. Should I take my walking boots?
latest report
At one point it did look like warming up considerably but thats all backed off now. It will be close to seasonal average from Sunday to Wednesday but then cold air moves in from the east again. Nothing to worry about. With the recent cold spell the snow that has fallen recently will be well bedded in. To sum up not the sort of weather that would cause a huge thaw or major problems i'm sure.
latest report
Am hoping for some new snow at the end of next week ready for my arrival next weekend! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody got any recommendations for the Dolomites in summer?
snow report
musher wrote:
Anybody got any recommendations for the Dolomites in summer?

Book early!
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000,
Looking now. Seems a bit pricey with a TO,so looking to DIY and after suggestions.
ski holidays
@musher, booked an apartment via the val Gardena website called Soldanella- was v nice and good location ..... Or do you mean what to do?! We had great fun on the mountain bikes we hired 😄
ski holidays
@MCL,
We have 2 young kids that ski, swim, bike etc etc etc. We just love mountains, and I look forward to getting back to the Dolomites after years in the Alps.
snow report
MCL wrote:
@musher, booked an apartment via the val Gardena website called Soldanella- was v nice and good location ..... Or do you mean what to do?! We had great fun on the mountain bikes we hired 😄

I've stayed at the Soldenella. Very well located. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hey Wink any news from Alta Badia? I'm heading there on saturday and hoping there still will be plenty of snow.
ski holidays
Anyone in Selva this week for a snow report?
snow conditions
MCL/putin, "Anyone in Selva this week..." - Doesn't look like it ; webcams will give you a good idea, scroll down and they give the current temps + min/max

http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/

Putin - welcome to SnowHeads.... Smile
snow conditions
putin wrote:
Hey Wink any news from Alta Badia? I'm heading there on saturday and hoping there still will be plenty of snow.

Still plenty of snow higher up (90cm) and 25 cm in the valley. Should start cooling down on Thursday as well. Very little snow has fallen since the 24th February and not much in the forecast though possibility of a little early next week. The webcams still show plenty of snow on the Pralongia plataeu. I'll be there Saturday as well. Cant wait

http://www.altabadia.org/en/info-service/plan-your-journey/alta-badia-webcam.html
snow report
Snowforecast.com saying 20cm is due over this coming Saturday and Sunday- fingers crossed it arrives Very Happy
snow report
MCL wrote:
Snowforecast.com saying 20cm is due over this coming Saturday and Sunday- fingers crossed it arrives Very Happy

That will be based on the latest GFS operational run which was an outlier and doesnt have much support at the moment though the control run agrees with it. If the other GFS runs start to agree then I may take note of it. Lets hope it actually happens!! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy