Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice (Stockli, dynastar, head or salomon)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I'm an ISIA qualified instructor and this coming season training towards my BASI 4 qualification. This place seems full of knowledgable people so I thought I'd ask for a bit of advice/experience with regards to skis I'm looking at for training.

I'm looking at a few possibilities - mostly dictated by available discounts . They'll have to handle long and short turns, bumps and variable/chopped off piste (only a bit). I'm 5' 6" and about 155 pounds. I ski pretty aggressively and bumps are my weakest strand.

I'm looking at:
Stockli laser GS (non FIS) and maybe without race plates - opinions on flex welcome.

Dynastar version of the Rossignol Hero/gs Masters - I believe it's the Speed Course WC R20 Masters

Head World Cup rebel iSpeeds

Salomon X-race

I'm looking at all of these in 170 length and for the Salomons that means a 15m radius I believe.

Any opinions on the skis and experience from skiing them would be greatly appreciated. Particularly if they have been skied in bumps at all.

Big thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would expect them all to be remarkably similar. Go with the best price and the nicest graphics. I can't see any major differences in bumps.

Wouldn't you be better off with a punter SL ski though? Makes life much easier for demos and shorts. (NB: I found my FIS SLs initially a bit of a handful in bumps but "detuned" models would be just fine).

Slightly surprised that by L4 aspirant you're not geeky enough about skis to answer your own question Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. I suspect I am geeky enough to answer my own question really hence choosing 4 damn similar pairs of skis.

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of these though and I always find it hard to decide when that's the case. I think the first paragraph you wrote is what I needed to hear though. Just grow a pair and buy some!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go Stockli or Rossi myself, never skied a pair of skis from either that I didn't like, a lot, although the Heads get well reviewed. Oh and I did ski a pair of Head GSs (FIS I think) in a 185 2 years back and they were very pleasant.

Price and graphics.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not si sure about "Hero" as branding wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Lasers look (as ever) very nice. Quoted radius only 13m on the FIS model. I'd go for that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Not si sure about "Hero" as branding wink

Slight thread drift ......

If ski names were honestly named / categorised what would be written on them?
e.g. "Expert"& "Race" etc would be gone to be replaced with ......

Weekend Warrior
Backseat Bruiser
Sperm Turner
All the gear, no idea
Racer wannabe
All the tackle, little talent
Bobbins / Showroom ski dummy / punter / heel pusher / scrapper / Z-turner / Recreational / tidy / not bad for a scouser / etc etc etc
Ebay Purchase
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, quite.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Itchy_digits, The Salomon X-Race is a very decent piste ski. Slight rocker tip and solid camber underfoot make these skis perform with great predictability and precision. The 170 sounds just about right for your build, and should ski more like a ski-cross-ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimastaaah, i thought ski cross skis were just re-graphic'd GS anyway?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy