Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves!

Poster: A snowHead
What are the best gloves? By that I mean those which keep hands warm. I bought a pair of North Face Decibel's, and they are crap! Even on warm days my hands would get cold after a run, I assume from windchill. I guess their HyVent material isn't properly windproof. Okay, I know that they are not top of the range, but for 60 quid I'd expect better. Luckily I had my tatty old pair of Hestras with me, which I went back to.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-04-04 13:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find that layering works well. Fleece inners and thicker, waterproof outers (these may need to be a size bigger than normal). Each can be worn on their own in certain conditions.

Two interesting ideas that I haven't tried but have seen, are mittens that convert to fingerless gloves undoing a flap (mittens are warmer than gloves) and some that have a zip on the thumb so you can use it without taking your gloves off - not warmer as such when skiing but may help in that they're rarely removed. Erm, can't help on the makes as I can't remember tham, sorry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A good hat or helmet will also keep your hands warmer. (sorry, I mean wearing it on your head - as this is where you lose most of your body heat)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have also used hand warmers in particularly cold times (I tend to keep a pair of disposable ones permanently in my ski coat when I'm out there, just in case). They are not perfect but they are great if you've had to take your gloves off for some reason, and they do have a noticeable effect.

I was trying to work out whether they worked best in the palm or on the back of the hand (not sure where the blood that flows *to* the fingers flows closest), but didn't have enough cold days to try for sure. Maybe one of resident medical experts could advise? Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I second both skanky and WTFH's points. I'm always saying to the kids "If you want warm hands; wear a hat!". I use inner gloves when it gets cold. Silk ones super coz with them on you can take your hand out of the gloves for intricate actions (take a photo) without your fingers immediately freezing solid.
The best gloves I have found are Boarder-type gloves such as Level (levelgloves.com).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You had the best already, Hestras. Mine have lasted me since last Feb' and look good for a while yet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Referring to Handwarmers
skanky wrote:
I was trying to work out whether they worked best in the palm or on the back of the hand (not sure where the blood that flows *to* the fingers flows closest)
Good question. The arterial supply to the fingers runs mainly along the front of the forearm and hand, but precisely where to put the warmers would make an interesting project for our next Belle Plagne Anaesthetic Meeting. I might get my Nobe Prize after all snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Nobe"? Should I ask? Little Angel

Okay, so the ones at the back of the hand is taking the blood away?
Maybe they should be strapped to the wrist?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xyzpaul, I have a pair of Swanys that do the trick for me (they include an inner fleese glove). I agree with Wear The Fox Hat, too, though: make sure you're wearing a hat (and keeping your "core" warm) if your hands are getting cold.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky, Sorry for the mispelling. It should have read "Nobby Prize" - similar to the Nobel, but without the money, medal or ceremony.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, that makes sense now Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Hestras are lovely. To hot to wear them in Courchevel this year though! Lent a friend one of my spare pair only to have them coming back smelling like a badger's backside. Guess those ones aren't breatheable then!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone come across hard shell protective gloves? A guy at our club broke his thumb again, I can't afford to follow his example.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Level do snowboarding gloves that have an insert to prevent wrsit injuries when you catch an edge (having tried it I can vouvh that if you're travelling, there's no time to brace for impact - one minute you;re nice, the next you;re on the ground wioth not even enough breath to moan)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MartinH, your mate Dan Botham is a skier, so I presume you are too, and the injury you are trying to avoid is "Skiers Thumb" . Those wonderful Level Gloves (I have a pair) will prevent Boarder Wrist injuries (similar to the ice skating unjury featured later in the article), but will not help with damage to the thumb.
Various clever gloves have been marketed, uncluding some with the thumb and forefinger tips fixed together. I am not sure there is any evidence any of these devices work.
As all the articles suggest (and there are many: just Google "ski thumb injury") the advice seems to be keep your wrist out of the straps and get lessons on how to fall.
If loss of income is a real problem, you can insure against this.
snow report
I can recommend the kevglove from www.pmgearusa.com - great value, strong construction. Mine are warmer than the £90 Mammut goretex gloves with fleece liners I had before.

The company was started but some people on a US ski forum. Not bad Smile
snow report
masopa wrote:
My Hestras are lovely. To hot to wear them in Courchevel this year though! Lent a friend one of my spare pair only to have them coming back smelling like a badger's backside. Guess those ones aren't breatheable then!!

I find the inners from Hestra too hot most of the time, I've switched mine. It's the shell that's so good for the Hestra's anyway.
snow conditions
Jonpim, I have never fallen on my thumb (I'm sure skiing since the age of 4 has much to do with it) but the thought of it scares me. Music is not just a job to me, being unable to play would be almost as bad as being unable to ski.
ski holidays
MartinH, what do you play? Take up something that can be played without your thumb.....er like......trumpet!
snow report
Elizabeth B, good idea, though I can't really spare 10,000 hours to learn another instrument to that level. Perhaps a triangle...
ski holidays
MartinH, triangles can be difficult to play. Why not start out with something geometrically simpler, like a circle.
latest report
Fux-Up, You have to make sure the triangle is the right way up, can be tricky...
ski holidays
You sure a circle is geometrically simpler? It may look simpler, but geometrically...? What with Pi and all that? I think it's easier to play the bar, meself.
snow report
Pi and chips come after the gig. Beer in the interval, if you want to hang out with the brass section.
snow report
That's a bit bold of them Shocked
snow report
They will go bold if you keep polishing them Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy