Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has BASI appointed a new CEO? [Yes]

Poster: A snowHead
The British Association of Snowsport Instructors put its 2014 annual report online two days ago. There is a general meeting of BASI at the London Ski Show on Sunday 1 November at 17.00.

The report is 48 pages long, so nothing should be taken out of context. However [I quoted the following words on SKI.HUB - with a link to the report - but the quote wasn't really picked up] these words from BASI chairman Gareth Roberts appear to have some significance ...

BASI chairman Gareth Roberts wrote:
"In spring of this year the recruitment process for the new CEO of BASI commenced ... at the time of writing this report a confirmed appointment has not been made."

What is an unconfirmed appointment? What is a confirmed appointment? What is an appointment? Can an appointment only exist in a confirmed form?

Is there an appointment in place which has in fact been confirmed by both parties - a signed contract between the Association and the new CEO - but only unconfirmed in the sense that it has not been confirmed to the membership?

[Looking at this another way ... can one make an 'unconfirmed appointment' with a GP? Can one be in a position with a GP where - to borrow the same words - "a confirmed appointment has not been made."?]

There are persistent rumours that BASI has, in fact, appointed its new CEO. And the same name keeps coming up.

Perhaps there is something we should be told.

--------------------------------------------------------
It could be that the plan is for a big announcement at that general meeting on 1 November ... at which time an unconfirmed appointment (up to that moment) might become a confirmed appointment.

[end of confirmed waffle]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 31-10-14 12:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But is he or she baptised?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
Are BASI CEOs anointed?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
laundryman wrote:
Are BASI CEOs anointed?

Nope just canonized wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OP. You should know that appointments aren't confirmed until all references, offers, negotiations on salary, termination of previous appointments etc. etc. are completed. No formal announcements until then. Anyway BASI is not an open club, so why should anyone else know until it's all completed. It's non-news until finalised.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone checked for white smoke over Morlich House?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowyann wrote:
OP. You should know that appointments aren't confirmed until all references, offers, negotiations on salary, termination of previous appointments etc. etc. are completed. No formal announcements until then. Anyway BASI is not an open club, so why should anyone else know until it's all completed. It's non-news until finalised.

Point taken. Ever since snowHeads began there's been a fairly non-obvious need for a non-news section of the forum. I have not discussed this with admin on numerous occasions.

[end of non-news update]
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Announcement here.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andrew
commented,

I’m extremely pleased to be back in the driving seat at BASI and to lead the Association through the next stage of its development. My aim is to continue to develop a strategy in line with board guidelines that delivers value for members. I’m keen to listen to the views of the membership and steer the Association into the next phase of its evolution.”

Does anyone know what that means?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mozwold wrote:
Andrew
commented,

I’m extremely pleased to be back in the driving seat at BASI and to lead the Association through the next stage of its development. My aim is to continue to develop a strategy in line with board guidelines that delivers value for members. I’m keen to listen to the views of the membership and steer the Association into the next phase of its evolution.”

Does anyone know what that means?

If he means what he says, he will determine from the FaceBook group that the membership want BASI's burgeoning admin costs justified or trimmed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PlanetSki has a long news story about this ...

http://www.planetski.eu/news/6396

... and the new CEO Andrew Lockerbie will presumably (re-)introduce himself to the BASI general meeting at the London Ski Show tomorrow Saturday.

I've skied with Andy Lockerbie on one of his World Class Skiing camps (which was brilliant) and done a BASI refresher that he was directing at the (now defunct) Wycombe ski centre. He's an extremely talented skier and instructor. The skill-set he's going to need in the current situation (professionally-designed anti-ESF fliers were being handed out outside the entrance to the Ski Show yesterday) is a very different affair.

This situation in France has entered high international politics, and BASI is almost at the centre of them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PlanetSki has a long news story about this ...
Some of which is a bit wide of the mark, which is unfortunate as it feeds those who have expressed the view that it was a favoured candidate who got the nod. There was never a favourite for the job, insider or outsider.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, Do have an insight on how the final decision was made. Was it the panel that came to a final group decision ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndAnotherThing.., yes, I was on the selection panel for the CEO interviews. The panel interviewed the shortlist, which was drawn up by the recruitment consultancy, and recommended one name, Andrew Lockerbie, to the BASI Board for their approval and for them to manage the appointment details (salary negotiations, length of appointment, start date, etc). Although I was not a part of the Board discussions, as I'm not a Board member, I'm guessing the Board will have had a full discussion about the appointment rather than simply rubber-stamping the candidate that the selection panel recommended.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, I thought I recognised your name Very Happy
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@rob@rar, I thought I recognised your name Very Happy
You did well to see past the mis-spelling wink
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The skill-set he's going to need in the current situation (professionally-designed anti-ESF fliers were being handed out outside the entrance to the Ski Show yesterday) is a very different affair.

This situation in France has entered high international politics, and BASI is almost at the centre of them.

This seems almost inevitable and will raise the profile of the issue. I suspect the majority of British skiers don't know there is a problem but with BASI "fighting" against the French regulation, it will become a newsworthy story and as such will put more pressure on the French; When the average British punter gets to reading the Daily Mail reporting the French being 'up to their old tricks' then it might have an effect, no doubt there will be made up stories about a boycott which regardless of their veracity, always make tourism reliant voters nervous.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., yes, I was on the selection panel for the CEO interviews. The panel interviewed the shortlist, which was drawn up by the recruitment consultancy, and recommended one name, Andrew Lockerbie, to the BASI Board for their approval and for them to manage the appointment details (salary negotiations, length of appointment, start date, etc). Although I was not a part of the Board discussions, as I'm not a Board member, I'm guessing the Board will have had a full discussion about the appointment rather than simply rubber-stamping the candidate that the selection panel recommended.

Rob ... thanks for that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy