Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Big fat flakes of snow falling outside my window in Les Carroz. snowHead it has been a great week!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
heavy rain in Samoens village overnight. sounds like snow over 1700 m so should be lots more fresh stuff higher up....ski early and have a late lunch !! for all those out for the last week of the season, we should be ok ?? greta end to the season !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone ariving in Morillon Esserts this weekend don't be downhearted by the rain in the village. Once you get above 1st chair lift the snow is still falling and conditions are superb. Must of had a good 20 to 30 cm today and the runs down to Carroz are amazing through the trees. Last run back into Morillon is hard work in th slush but doable with tired legs. forecast is a sunny start to next week so with the snow that's still supposed to fall tomorrow Monday should be fantastic Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super day off piste in les carroz, trees near side of felire down to gron chair and around gron chair. First thing was quite light snow, and the trees were superb (as long as you didn't mind showers of wet snow if you disturbed things to much) Then just skiing the powder (ish!!) around gron and cruising down the pistes to save the legs for the good bits. Very few people. Stopped at 3.00pm as the freezing level rose too much and it got too heavy. Still light rain in village, should be good tomorrow.....................
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing all day in Flaine - great first thing - plenty of fresh tracks - nobody on the piste at all - still snowing now but not as heavy
Visibility not great at times but who's complaining
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wow. 15-20 cm of fresh stuff above 1600. cold.. home tomorrow just as sun comes out...anyone here next week its going to be aazing... enjoy.... back on 14th, should still be good !!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back yesterday from flaine.

Great week we had some superb conditions and with them having a good 18" Friday night/sat its going to be awesome for those going out this weekend.

ski'd more off piste than I've ever done.

LB
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiing over.... pistes are in great condition even down to the lower levels. off piste superb, visbility was poor today but sun forcast from tomorrow. other issue today was i left my poles in the garage.... didnt want to go back down so skied without. never realised how hard it was despite thinking they didnt get much use !!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AP1, Poles are your turn timing device and get you in the right position...I hate skiing without mine.

and yes today was superb, vis was ok first thing this morning in les carroz, but then fogged in a lunchtime. Off piste was really excellent, esp for April and this low, if a few icey boulders from yesterday waiting to catch you out. Daughter hit one of them and managed a perfect "out of both skis and face plant".........

Lunchtime and everyone just vanished...perhaps something to do with the fog?????
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Silly question - does anything special happen on the last day of the season? We're coming out for the last week, but not sure whether to stay until 19th. Have a concern that there may be too many people 'celebrating' to make it pleasant to ski!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi, take a look at 'slope off' Samoens. think its going to be a party week. I am here till the 18th with my daughters who think its going to be a great week........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sj1608, the last day of the season is more likely to be a rather sad non event than a wild celebration.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sj1608, There is usually lots going on, Grand Massif website will have details. I can remember going to some jazz thing in morillon or samoens on the very last Sunday a few years ago, memory is a bit hazy.......... This season is a bit odd as the whole lot is closing on the same day, usually Flaine goes on a week longer (with limited lifts open).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easter Monday

Super brilliant day (and other words to that effect)

Sun, cold and superb snow................ what could be better.

Corbalanche was so excellent that we did it at least 6 times, vernant bowl first thing was light and fluffy.

Off piste around gron was ok, if rather cut up with some nice (not!) solid lumps to catch you out. Still lots of untracked powder, didn't get to Flaine

Timalets on the way back was gettng rather soft, but lots of snow.

For April with less than 2 weeks to go before the end of the season its amazing.

The other observation of today was the clarity of the light....stunning.

Only downside is the knee is suffering a bit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zorrac, +1 Didn't do Corbalanche but I know that a number of you here will be pleased to know that the Veroces black in the Gron area of LC has been left unpisted.
snow report
Yet another superb day, pistes rather hard first thing, but softened up by the end of the day, yet again didn't get to Flaine. L'Agile Noir in samoens had some light powder at the sides so did that a number of times. The other black (can't remember the name!) on the other side was also good at the sides, rock hard moguls down the middle!

Hard pistes were interesting on a pair of rather blunt, needing a base grind s3's, my ankles are now rather sore.

@ian999, we tend to do Veroces at either side of it and avoid the bit that gets pisted, because the top of the pisted bit usually has rocks sticking out, was very quiet today as it was bumpy. In fact everywhere was quiet, it was very pleasant. At lunch time it was like having a ski resort to yourself!!

January snow, April sun
Very Happy

Piste skis tomorrow as my s3's are stuffed!!
ski holidays
We had our annual 1 day trip to Flaine from Verbier yesterday....we get a free day on our Verbier annual pass, and we just love the Grand Massif for all sorts of historical reasons.

Pistes were superb.
Weather was lovely.
The BBQ mixed grill and beef kebab lunch at the top of the DMC was amazing. Total bargain at 16eur

My favourite lift served off piste freeride zone in Europe is Gers and I was so looking forward to it after the recent snowfall.....NIGHTMARE!
Gers is steep, and long.....and solid, SOLID, refrozen chopped up powder. I have never skied anything worse.....and did I mention steep and long? Very Happy

@Zorrac, I was on S3s yesterday too....but though my bases could do with some love I had sharpened them (at 3:1) to a razor the night before so no issues there.
I agree about piste skis now though....S3's are going to bed and 3V coming out.
snow report
Quick report

Very warm this afternoon and getting rather heavy and soft, but still loads of snow.......even warmer tomorrow

@rungsp, my base edges are stuffed on my s3's, so need a base grind. First one in about 14 weeks using them, which is not bad. Just i hate giving my skis to shops as they have a habit of wrecking them.

Thanks for the report on Gers as we nearly went yesterday.............glad we didn't
latest report
Another great blue sky day in Flaine - good in the morning but so warm in the afternoon - pistes very mushy from the Blanchot down - struggled to get down to the DMC as the snow was so sticky.
That said after a busy weekend everything has gone very quiet - almost have the place to our self - lifties so bored they have started their own ice sculpting competition - favourite is the massive Buddha at the top of the eggs
snow report
Vey good day today. Didn't go so much off piste as we had a fine lunch at Blanchot just as the snow was transforming. But Fred (Agate) very pleasant and chalky at top. So good we had to ski it thrice.

Pistes in remarkably good nick given what seemed to be reduced accumulation this year.

23C in car park as we disrobed...
snow report
Thanks everyone for this week's updates. We'll be arriving on Saturday, so keep that snow ready for us, please!
snow conditions
@sj1608, should all be fine, although limited/no possibility of skiing to valley floor. Whatever.

P.s. The Blanchot plat du jour options included a really fine carpaccio & frites option, which one of our party thought "too cheap". I had carpaccio envy.
snow report
Out and about early while the pistes were still cold but starting to get soft at top of Gran Vans even at 9:30 - rest of Flaine fine high up but gave up at 2:00 as the slush getting down to DMC, eggs, etc started to play on the knees - spent rest of day sun bathing & enjoying band at Backslide - pharma sign said temp was 23C
ski holidays
the news from Flaine today about the 7 year old boy has put all our weather concerns into perspective.....the most awful story ...
snow conditions
Tragic news - seems as strange scenario and I am struggling to think where it might be in Flaine? Thoughts go out to the family.
snow conditions
@AP1 @Stevo Agreed - puts everything in perspective - been racking my brain to think whether I saw a young lad by himself yesterday afternoon - slopes were very quiet so I can see how he could get lost/confused with no one around especially in the Aujon area
ski holidays
Friday's events put everything into a different perspective, but as there is a separate thread on that I felt it might be appropriate to post a weather and conditions update.

Conditions high up in Flaine are still superb, especially in the morning. It turns slushy lower down very quickly, but if you operate a 'stay high' policy and don't come right back down to Flaine you can easily ski most of the day. has been brilliant sun the last two days, but with a chilly breeze at times.

And there is no-one here. Yesterday we skied Mephisto Sup, stopping several times to admire the view and the parapenters. No idea how long we were on the piste, but it was a long time and we only saw three other people. Amandine today, I saw four.

If anyone has the chance to come out for the last few days of the season, grab it with both hands.
ski holidays
I travel tomorrow, skiing Weds and Thurs - looking forward to some sunbathing Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
us too. Get to Samoens about 11.30 was hoping to get a couple of hours in tmrw pm.....dont think we will even attempt it....
ski holidays
They've started closing some areas down in Flaine. Veret lift was closed and piste markers were being removed from Grand Chaudron this morning. Bois, Stade, Aujon, Grand Grenier and Lapiaz lifts are now all closed. We did a 'shall we go up Aujon' yesterday and decided that we'd wait and do it today, so we've now lost the opportunity for this season. Sad

Not quite as sunny today, a bit of wispy high cloud about, but still very warm and more bare bits appearing. A few on Portet, some on Serpentine and Tourmaline.
snow report
Thats it season over.... Had 3 good days including yesterday in Avoriaz. First time there really enjoyed it...
Was hoping for one last day but heavy rain has meant we are now brushing up on our dominoes.....
see you all about November when we start the whole process again......
snow conditions
I'm just heading out for the closing weekend this afternoon, seems like it's finished already Sad Sunday would've been my 60th day on the slopes this season. Just booked Tignes for next weekend though so will still get there Smile
latest report
I was feeling sorry for you until I read you had already skied 59 days !!!!! rain stopped looking a bit brighter . we leave tomorrow but will let you know before we leave how it is looking for your 60th day !!!!!!
snow report
@897sma, AP1 is going home tomorrow, which is why his season is over. But for those of us still out here, there are two more days left, and I intend to make the most of them. Too wet to ski today, but tomorrow and Sunday have a better forecast, and there is a chance that some of the rain fell as snow high up. It snowed from about the middle of Desert Blanc upwards for over an hour yesterday. Higher pistes in Flaine still in decent condition and were a pleasure to ski yesterday.

As an fyi for anyone travelling back on Monday or later who has not heard, the main road down from Les Carroz/Flaine will be closed from 20/4 - 30/6 for them to blast the overhanging rock and do road improvements. The only way out will be via La Frasse. We went that way today and there are two sets of temporary road works on the route. One looks as if it may finish by Monday, but the other looked a bit longer term. So allow extra time to reach the valley.
latest report
Had a good couple of days. Wednesday was amazing in the morning. Have to say the pistes high up were as good as they have been all season - lovely and flat and fast! Low down as you would expect wasn't great, but still skied rather well.... I've skied much worse. Thurs was overcast and warmer - only did a few hours, but still great fun. Looking at the weather this morning I was glad we had booked an earlier tunnel back at the last moment.

Considering the challenges faced this season, the pisties have done a brilliant job!
ski holidays
Just a final update for the season.

Saturday was not a good skiing day - poor vis, and slushy grippy snow after the rain on Friday. Forecast was for a warm Saturday night, overcast Sunday morning and rain Sunday afternoon.

We decided to ski first thing Sunday for an hour or two, just to say we had, and hit the slopes at 9.10. Much to our amazement, the totally deserted pistes were icy as it had been cold overnight, and the previous day's slush was no more. By mid morning there were blue skies and by midday it was brilliant sunshine, which stayed until about 4ish, before clouding up and snowing a little on the top, and finally pouring with rain just as the pistes shut. And, yes, we were still on the pistes at 5pm when it rained, having stayed out all day and enjoyed one of the best skiing days of the season. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

So the season's weather finished with the unexpected, just as it did at the start.

Hardly anyone skiing all day, probably a good job as there were about 20 piste security/first aid guys enjoying a barbecue in the sun on the Tete de Saix, so rescue may have been a little delayed. They all sat up pretty quickly when the radio crackled into life.....but it was just the operator to say 'Bon appetit, garcons'!
snow report
What a fantastic day to end the season yesterday. Didn't get any skiing done unfortunately but had a wonderful day sat in the sun a le sommet de Grands Platiers in Flaine enjoying the view and slowing getting nicely tipsy (must've been the altitude Wink ) It was really surreal at one point though as the sun was beaming down but there were snowflakes falling from god knows where. The snow looked to be really good high up, if a little icy/grainy, and as mentioned by sj1608 everywhere was deserted, but we'd left our skis at home as the forecast was for warm weather with rain.
latest report
July 12th, and all is rather warm in les carroz, just got back from our early morning walk, decided as yesterday afternoon was so melting hot we would go early this morning, so left at 7.30am, and a lovely cool walk to Flaine lake and back, was just getting at little warm at 11 when we got back. Has now clouded up quite a bit and a pleasant breeze is blowing

Time to watch the team time trial on the tour....................
ski holidays
Perhaps the wrong thread, but anybody aware of any lift upgrades or new lifts in the GM taking place this summer?
latest report
@simo1234, no idea and have not walked past anything to give a look yet

they were running the gondola this morning with the cabins all in a bunch which looked a bit weird

Did the walk to les colonnaz (sp) and then gr96 down towards magland (the walk where a dead man killed two live ones......!) then over the bridge and back les carroz, takes about 4 1/2 hours. Was a bit fraught Daughter managed to trip over her own walking poles, sticking a hole in her knee, and then her new walking boots rubbed.......so we had a few grumbles, but the views were good and it was cool in the trees, which is most of the walk.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy