Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
If the forecast is correct the Grand Massif is in for a huge dump over the next 3 or 4 days. Arriving Thursday so save some of the white stuff for me Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dozey69, not looking too bad for the upper reaches. But a big dump of precipitation, that much seems certain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big disappointment today - foggy and wet. Praying for snow - we are desperate for it now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mark riddick, why so desperate? Where you staying? I appreciate skiing down to Morillon probably getting (!?) difficult but Flaine surely still pretty good.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 30-03-15 15:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mark riddick, It was not that bad, yes it was wet after about 12, and the snow was rather soft, but it was ok for near end of march, i am sure flaine was fine, but we decided to just ski for a couple of hours so stayed in massif, as trees mean can see in the foggy bits. Looks like it will be very damp tomorrow, hopefully snow line will fall a bit....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Big disappointment today - foggy and wet.

as forecast. Talk of snow except at higher altitudes was always a triumph of hope over expectation. All the forecasts I've looked at have the pluie/neige level higher tomorrow but then usefully colder mid week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well its 9.15pm and it is hammering down with rain in les carroz....and its not very cold when stepping out onto the balcony.....................we shall see tomorrow morning
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any news on snow falling in Flaine or is it rain?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woken up this morning to a steady rainfall in Samoens - it was pretty miserable up at 1600 yesterday afternoon skiing with our beginner children after their lesson (though still fun!) Really hoping some of the precipitation fell as snow higher up....will see later I guess.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Webcams looking better.... snow at Samoens 1600 - and looks like maybe even 1100 in Morillon!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If all the weather that we drove through yesterday (heavy rain non-stop from Geneva to Calais) arrives in the Alps as snow that will mean there's no shortage!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow in Flaine last night - but windy
Can't see if links out to the Grand Massif are open
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@janner, links out were shut when we tried to take the grand vans chair around 9.30am though spoke to someone who said grand vans had been open briefly first thing. We ended up going up Aup de Veran but after a couple of runs down found going very tricky with flat light and lots of new but heavy snow. Certainly had a good fall overnight! We then tried going right up grand platieres to see if lower temps made the snow better but it was very windy with driving snow and no better light. Now given up for the day,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They had quite a good snowfall in Samoens overnight as well. The snow was nice at the top of the tête de said, but bitterly cold with the wind blowing sharp ice crystals into your face. Lower down the snow was heavier and sticky, with very wet snow in 1600. Cue some sodden, unhappy children at the end of the lesson. Don't know when I have ever been so wet skiing!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@annaa, Keep me updated as we're arriving in Morillon 1100 Thursday evening and may rush to the hire shop or leave it to Friday a.m depending on conditions.
Big question is will I need my Lidl snowchains which at 20 quid surely will break Confused
latest report
Might be snowing heavily on thursday night, @dozey69, to quite low altitude snowHead snowHead snowHead So you might well need your Lidl chains, especially if you arrive late. But I suspect the Lidl chains will be absolutely fine. The secret is to do them as tight as possible. Stop after a hundred metres or so and tighten, then do it again.

Will the hire shops be open at 1100 in the evening? Even the snowploughs have stopped round here by that time of night. wink
ski holidays
@pam w, I meant Morillon 1100 metres Very Happy Thanks for advice with snow chains.
ski holidays
@dozey69, Oh, how stupid of me, of course!! Embarassed Looks like very good timing, actually, given the forecast.
snow report
It was very very wet, as @annaa, states top of tete des saix was ok, but freezing on the slow chairs up there, les carroz was just wet and very heavy.....when it started running down my neck, gave up and went swimming instead...at least you are supposed to be wet doing that, then went to vieux campeur for some retail therapy........and found the new quechua mountain store, which does not seem to have as much in it as the old one, looks smart however
ski holidays
Got up there about 10 am after a contact lens drama from my daughter, but it is her first day back skiing after months and months of knee physio so forgiven

It was slightly sunny, and a little warm at first, but that soon vanished. We just did les carroz, morillon and samoens. Everywhere was very soft, even top of tete des saix, and morillon 1100 was very very soft. Not ideal for testing a nearly mended knee, but all went ok and she was busy zooming around as normal, forward (and switch as usual!). Just complaining it ached a bit on lifts.

Considering how soft everything was conditions were ok, the steep part of bergin as a mess, and the worst brown bit, but it often is even when snow is good. Quite a few closed pistes, and lots of small avalanches (some onto pistes near gron chair) with people just skiiing down the closed stuff Puzzled Puzzled

I did a little bit of easy off piste in samoens and it was creamy and sticky, daughter not keen at all, got a big frown!!

Even timalets was ok on the way back to the base, Packed up a 3pm, had been raining on and off since about 12.30 and the knee was tired, but for a first day back was very good, and all that hard work at physio has really worked. (and waiting and not starting back too early skiing) Just need to get the cold on it now
snow report
@Zorrac, Where is the new Quechua?.
ski holidays
@Basil, If you are going to the old one from sallanches, you went straight on at a roundabout and it was 200 meters on the left.

at that roundabout turn left to passy, its about 5 mins straight drive from there.

To be honest it looks very imposing, but does not really seem any more stuff in it, lots more room however, but it is new so time will tell.
snow report
F@Zorrac, Thanks. Do not go there that often but it is ok for a trip out if weather poor. What pool do you use?.
snow conditions
F@Zorrac, Thanks. Do not go there that often but it is ok for a trip out if weather poor. What pool do you use?.
snow conditions
@Basil, sometimes the les carroz municipal , season pass get a deal later in season, sometimes p&v one if friends staying there.
ski holidays
Maybe they're in "inter season" phase, @Zorrac. Decathlon in Albertville busy removing any trace of snowsports from the store this afternoon.
latest report
@pam w, yes, there was alot of empty space, and alpine skis was 1 row of stuff with a few skis and boots and not much else really.
ski holidays
Weather very changeable at the moment. Since Saturday we have had snow, rain, low cloud and this morning the temperature is below freezing at resort level for the first time - I am staying in Flaine. The rain has turned the snow to slush at resort level and the going has been very heavy. Yesterday we went down to Samoens 1650 and the conditions were quite good down there. Drove down to Carroz on Monday to take the youngsters to the aqua centre, where they had a lot of fun. The lower slopes in Carroz looked a bit bare. Monday morning it had rained most of the time so the kids were et through and could not face going out again - the adults felt the same!

Still plenty of snow to play in, just hope the temps keep at a sensible levels.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great day..... temperature really dropped, minus 5 at the top... fresh snow all day, ( about 5cm ) forecast for a little top up tonight. it was like skiing in February !! still cold romorrow then warming up a little but should help keep the slopes ok unril the end of the season !!!!
snow report
Totally agree with what @AP1, says. The improvement from Monday was dramatic. Light snow on and off all day, temps below freezing over most of the area. Even down in Carroz and Morillon the pistes were in reasonable condition. The off piste was horrible, likewise the unpisted pistes - the lumpy snow did not soften up the whole day and was therefore like skiing on rocks. DMC closed for the second day in a row, today they were carrying out a safety exercise, lowering people from the cabins down to the pistes. Not many people around so no queues for the lifts. Low cloud in places meant the vis was not always good but a very good day on the slopes.
snow report
just back grom great days skiing. Flaine was generally in good condition despite visbility coming in and out. more fresh snow, with the best conditions at the top of the Lindars Nord chair.... the runs back into Flaine from the DMC were empty !!!!
return into Samoens was still good. it was cold enough to freeze the lens on my goggles this morning. April ???
more snow forecast tonight then it seems anytpne here next week is going to get wall to wall sunshine and enough snow to have a great rime... enjoy.... save a bit for the last few days of the season coming back out with my 2 daughters for a last ski of the year !!! although they seem more impressed that it seems to be party week !!!!!!
snow conditions
As @AP1, states excellent piste day, again didn't get to Flaine at all, which shows conditions in rest of GM are really quite good. Daughter insisted on doing the same reds again and again, mainly Zorta in les carroz and Marmottes in samoens. Gave up saying we should go to Flaine..................... Both of them are in very nice nick, even if a bit soft later on.

This afternoon got a little damp with some drizzle and light snow, and pistes got heavier as time went on. However only timalets on the way down could be classed as very heavy. Very few people about. Daughter went out on her old Rossi SL race skis, and as the bases are mega prepped I could not keep up!! well thats my excuse!! Her knee is now complaining a bit, did tell her!!

Now drizzling / fine rain in les carroz
snow report
Thanks for the updates - hoping for a couple of days during the last week of the season… fingers crossed the temps stay low and some more snow.
ski holidays
And thanks from us, too. We're also hoping to sneak out for the last few days. Perhaps time for a meet up?
ski holidays
@sj1608, maybe - hope to be skiing 15/16 and possibly 17th
latest report
In Flaine and steady snow falling, not a mega dump but it's better than rain. Vis today in the bowl got worse as the day went on, by 4pm it was cloud down to about 1900m. Pistes in remarkably good condition for time of year and although heavy at the bottom it was still very skiable. The off piste has softened up but still variable. Compared to the beginning of the week it is fantastic - sadly this is my last week for the season but am making the most of it. Best run of the day was from the top of the Lapiaz drag, down Minos and then Almandine.

Pistes very quiet and no lift queues worth mentioning. DMC open after 2 days of being closed.
snow report
@Chris Mason, raining hard in les carroz at the moment
snow conditions
Super day, if rather cloudy in Flaine. Off piste in les carroz and samoens was really good first thing this morning, like cream cheese, then got progressively heavier as time went on. Few more people, and it got really warm in Flaine in the afternoon with muggy cloud and very soft to the top.

Then out on Grand vans and it was snowing at the top and cold.!!

Decided that timalets may be a bit heavy for the now very very tired knee, so downloaded down the Gondola.

Just been pouring with rain in les carroz......
snow report
About 10 cm of snow settled last night at resort level, maybe 20cm higher up. Great day in Flaine. As the morning progressed the snow got softer but the off piste was great all day, just had to ski higher and higher to enjoy it. Was snowing in Flaine earlier but nothing settled at resort level. Gers bowl was open this afternoon. Best day's skiing this week, my last day of the season, back to London tomorrow.
snow report
@Chris Mason, flaine official website gave 5cm at resort level,10cm higher up
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy