Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vintage Avalanche Clearance/Rescue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Slightly odd question perhaps, but in the days of proper old wooden skis and that, did they actually do avalanche clearance or have rescue teams?

If they did, what kind of gear would they use? Obviously the old wooden skis, maybe some wooden snowshoes, but what other kind of things would they use for clearance and rescue?

My browsing around has not so far turned up a bamboo shovel or probe, though these might go onto the DIY list of things to do next time the bamboo comes through under the fence from next door.

All will become very clear sometime over the winter, all input welcome. Also if anyone has got that kind of gear they want to sell, particularly wooden skis, poles etc I am interested.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Planning on making a bonfire?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probes used to be solid steel, rather than folding aluminium or carbon. Solid steel ones are still often used by rescue teams as they're much more durable and accurate (because they don't bend) than modern ones.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd, ah, now that might be an issue. Probes probably off the cards then, though I might just knock up a bamboo version just to fit with the other bits Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think back then no one know much about avalanches but there wasn't many skers or climbers, so not many accidents. As more people started going into the mountains the number of accidents started going up, this lead to people studying the cause of avalanches and accident. This in turn lead to better practice in avoidance and control.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda, Though I am often dismissive of him, I am going to suggest that DG might have some useful input on this - it sounds like the sort of question he might know about.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mistress Panda, I strongly suggest you buy a copy of 'The Avalanche Enigma' by Colin Fraser (John Murray, 1966). Try http://www.abebooks.com/

It was republished with the title 'Avalanches and Snow Safety' (1978).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well what do ya know!!? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Comedy Goldsmith, I had a fair idea that you would know about this sort of thing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found a french website a year or two back that had examples of very early tranceivers on it....cant remember more than that though sorry.

(battery powered from mid 20th century)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ms Panda, I found a picture of you .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska%C3%B0i

See here for the transceiver... https://www.wildsnow.com/10527/skadi-history-avalanche-rescue-beacon-transceiver/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy