Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps for a season

Poster: A snowHead
Morning everyone

I've finally managed to get a job for the season in Ste Foy and debating whether or not it's worth taking my car there for the season. I'm going by myself so it would be quite a long drive and certainly more expensive than flying (especially as I would have to get snow tyres etc) but it means that I get to take a lot more kit and would be free to explore other local resorts on my day off.

The alternative would be to fly and possibly arrange a service to collect any additional kit.

Any opinions from seasonaires?

cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Davecon70, definitely worth it in my opinion. It just gives you so much more freedom. I took a car, and used it to explore the area - I was based in La Plagne but went up to Tignes, 3V and la Rosiere. It was also really nice just to be able to go down to Bourg when I wanted to. I'd think it was even more important to have that flexibility in Ste Foy as it's a small resort.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-10-14 11:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might find someone else who needs to get down there too and would be happy to share the journey and costs - advertise on Natives and any relevant Ste Foy facebook groups etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fixx, good point. You could also advertise for people wanting to go to other Tarentaise resorts, either to take them all the way or drop off in Bourg where they can pick up a bus.

Resorts have quite a barter/favour economy going. So if you can give people lifts to places, you may find you don't have to pay to get your skis serviced, have access to free food, that sort of thing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Davecon70, definitely take a car. St Foy offers some great skiing, but it is also a short drive from there to a massive range of skiing in Tignes, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere, La Thuile, Les Arcs, La Plagne, and reasonably close to the Trois Vallees. You'll also have an easy journey down to Bourg for shopping, etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Davecon70, having a car is great for the reasons said above, make sure it's up to it, a season is hard on a car.
I've found the following important.
Winter tyres
Decent battery
Fully synthetic oil
Grease the door rubbers
Good scraper
Line boot with plastic sheet
Double dose windscreen wash
An emergence kit in the boot
Start the engine often
Keep the tank full
If diesel watch what fuel you get

Above all take great care how and where you park it, keep well clear of snow ploughs, or places where idiots might slide into it, and don't park with your driving wheels in the snow bank.

If your the only one of your "mates" with a car you might find yourself put upon.

But it's well worth it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the quick feedback. I just ordered the winter tyres which should arrive on friday.

Thanks Jbob for the tips. The car is a Volvo C30 diesel with FW drive- what did you mean by:

watching the fuel you get
fully synthetic oil

I will need to get an MOT before heading out as mine is due to expire at the end of March but I will still be in France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not done a season but if I was I would def take my car - the flexibility it will give you is huge. Plus you can take a little bit more stuff with you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Davecon70, what about parking?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Davecon70 wrote:
Thanks for the quick feedback. I just ordered the winter tyres which should arrive on friday.
watching the fuel you get
fully synthetic oil

I think there is (if you're a diesel user) winter diesel - which has a lower waxing temp than 'normal' stuff.

Fully synth oil refers to engine oil and is the best stuff (and most expensive!), although you'd need to check as a lot of cars have very specific recommendations.

Not sure what the benefit of it in very cold weather is, but it's not a bad idea if it's OK for your motor.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
Davecon70, what about parking?

There's an open car park (and private undercover for some).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martinm, as others have said definitely take the car, a couple of other thing to add;
- chains; you need them and make sure you know how to use them. Now is an ideal time to be on your drive taking them on and off when it's relatively warm, not raining and daylight!! One tip put them away neatly, they're not like Christmas Tree Lights, if you put them away neatly and untangled that's how they will be until you next need them!!
- parking; leave the car in gear and hand brake off!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Davecon70, diesel is dosed to prevent waxing which stops the car from starting and blocks the fuel filter. The level of the dose will determine what temp it will cause a problem. Fuel sold in the Alps is likely to be dosed to cope with aprox. -14c if you buy it further away it may not be properly winterised, during periods of very cold weather -14c might not be enough! you can get an additive and do it yourself. Occasionally garages have water contamination. Nearly empty car fuel tanks can also lead to water in the fuel.
Fully synthetic oil doesn't thicken as much at cold temps (as semi synthetic or mineral oil), which can be a problem, it's fairly standard in Canada. Ask for it when you have the car serviced, they may charge a little more.

The Canadian AA recommend scarring the following. A toque is a hat, I don't carry matches or flares!!
Warm winter gloves, toque and boots
Blanket or extra clothing
Bag of sand or kitty litter
Small shovel
Ice scraper and/or snow brush
Snacks for energy
Extra windshield washer fluid
First aid kit
Hardcopy local map (not just a GPS unit)
Flashlight and batteries
Flares
Waterproof matches
Battery jumper cables

Undercover parking is the way to go if possible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, definitely take the car. Check your insurance allows a long trip to France - change it, if it doesn't.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take the car. And don't worry too much - I went OTT and took a Land Rover Defender wi huge snow tyres, and almost all the kit listed above. Most useful stuff was silicone spray for greasing door rubbers (buy in UK - stupidly pricey in resort), a battery booster (the cold can make batteries perform poorly and giving them a boost when you haven't used the car for a week minimises strain), and a ow rope(used mainly for towing others out).

The car was totally unnecessary - the biggest trial it got was an icy car park in Ardent, and one drive across the pass to Chatel when the roads would have been impassable in a normal car. A hatch with winter tyres will be fine, and I daresay a Volvo will actually be better in the cold weather than a Defender, which has crap heating, steams up in rain/snow, and has locks that froze every morning. modern cars don't have these problems, and your Volvo on winter tyres should be fine.

Having a car in resort is brilliant. My housemate did not have one (I let him drive the Landy if he needed it for shop runs etc). He is taking his car is season.

The drive down is a picnic, but pricey with tolls etc.
ski holidays
+1 for taking it
+1 for the winter kit
Add a headtorch to the list - if you are on your own its a lifesaver if you have to put chains on - unlikely with a FWD with snow tyres - but you know who's law will be in force if you need them. The road up to St Foy is often snow covered much later than the main roads.
If you can get underground parking do it - it will make for a less nervous season.
Where are you in the UK - if you are oop north then Hull to Zeebrugge is a good way to go out. A beer and a good nights sleep aboard and thenSt Foy is about 9 hrs 40 from Zeeb.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
if you are oop north then Hull to Zeebrugge is a good way to go out. A beer and a good nights sleep aboard and thenSt Foy is about 9 hrs 40 from Zeeb.

If it is a normal Hull to Zeebrugge crossing the majority of the beer & any meal will be deposited in the North sea wink
snow report
stewart woodward, Are you casting nasturtiums on me or the said bateaux?? Little Angel
latest report
Make sure your car is properly anti-freezed!! (Although I'm sure it is already).
snow conditions
Definitely take the car if you can get season parking for it - check with your employer/accommodation supplier/Ste Foy website or tourist info office. Check if you get free days in other resorts with your ski pass - if so, the car comes into its own. Espace season pass (but NOT the workers season pass) gave 2 free days in each of Ste Foy, Paradiski, 3 Vallees, then a good discount for any further days in them, plus a good discount for La Rosiere day passes.
Get the car serviced in UK before your MOT, with all fluids good for -30C. Check your insurance is good for the full time you are abroad - some only allow a maximum number of days per year and/or a maximum time for any one trip.
Check French legal requirements for the Alps (try AA or RAC for info?). Seem to remember from driving to do seasons in Tignes that you had to have a set of chains in the boot (even with winter tyres), 1st aid kit, reflective jackets for all in vehicle, emergency warning triangle, shovel.
I used to line the boot with old carpet - useful when you need to get some traction.

Aye, aye Stewart 'Nelson' Woodward wink
latest report
Yeh take it, I flew home during my first season to get mine, never been without one since.. Just don't get precious about when people drop skis on it.

People always go overboard on these lists. For starting in the mornings you need:
snow tyres and/or chains
a good ice scraper and brush
massive gloves
de-icer spray
a shovel (a small folding one will do, just something if it dumps and you need to clear the wheels).

The only time my car has absolutely refused to start it was showing -24C on the external temp gauge, other than that they just get on with it. When you see the pieces of poo-poo the French workers drive around in every day you can be sure they haven't greased the doors or changed the fluids. Oh, unless the battery is crap, then you will have issues. Batteries are hideously expensive in France too so if yours is getting near 4 or 5 years old just change it now to be safe.

Now legally in France you also need
spare bulbs
a hi viz vest (for every passenger)
but I've yet to hear about anyone being asked to prove they have these with them. Still, they cost next to nothing so why not.

Don't worry about anything else. You have a torch on your phone, you have a map on your phone, and because ski resorts are tiny you have the choice to just walk somewhere and get your car out later!

If at some point you happen to need a tow rope, fuel additives, a change of oil/coolant/de-icer, jump cables, a battery charger, another battery, cat litter, plasters, tyres, replacement alloys, WD40, a mechanic or a Siberian sleeping bag you can buy, borrow or steal it in resort. Don't fill your boot with crap for no reason.

Oil and de-icer: Yes you can change it though I really don't know if it helps. Mine takes 10W40 in the UK but to deal with the winters easier I put 5W40 in it. Now I get it serviced out here in the alps the local garages use 10W40 again. Anyway, check your handbook for info.

Harry Flashman wrote:
Take the car. And don't worry too much - I went OTT and took a Land Rover Defender wi huge snow tyres, .

Weren't you in Morzine though? That's not a real resort, it's a well-cleared town at 900m with buses and lorries everywhere. Sainte Foy is a bit more serious being perched up at 1500m.
snow conditions
True, actually. Morzine was pretty much snow free last season. So no digging car out of the snow at all, really.

So ignore my advice!
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
True, actually. Morzine was pretty much snow free last season. So no digging car out of the snow at all, really.

So ignore my advice!

No no it's not to be ignored, but it's just important to note that areas are different. Also if you'd been in Morzine the season before last you'd have probably been digging it out every day in December and January, I even had to replace the battery in Jan. Although last season, as you say it snowed so little, my car barely moved and I was going to work and back on a bike every day!
snow report
Quote:

If at some point you happen to need a tow rope, fuel additives, a change of oil/coolant/de-icer, jump cables, a battery charger, another battery, cat litter, plasters, tyres, replacement alloys, WD40, a mechanic or a Siberian sleeping bag you can buy, borrow or steal it in resort.

Laughing I was glad we had jump leads when we'd left an interior light on for some days rolling eyes in Geneva airport car park - my OH persuaded an extremely elegant swiss lady in a gorgeous car to lend us her battery. You really don't need any special car at all, even in snowy years, for getting round ordinary mountain roads. Land Rover is overkill. wink

Don't forget about leaving the handbrake off when parked outside in the cold with slushy snow around - I learnt that the hard way.
ski holidays
Jump leads are a great shout - I've not come across that many people that carry them anymore, but I always do. I've only needed any of my cars jumped once, but have jumped many other people Smile In a ski resort this could make you very popular! And good back-up for you too.

Same with shovel - I've never had to dig out my own car, but did have to dig out an absolute numpty who parked on a snow bank for a day rather than the marshalled free car park next door rolling eyes 3 girls coming to the rescue of one guy who hadn't a clue, and just watched us do all the digging for a while (until we put a shovel in his hand and told him where to dig). We also had to quite emphatically tell the two girls in the back of the car to get out while he tried to drive the unblocked car off the bank. Silly people!
snow report
Davecon70, Do it every year and use a Volvo v50

Buy chains, cheaper in france on the way down than in Halfords (True for Ireland anyway not sure about UK)

Keep a shovel and scraper in the car, Also a small torch, sleeping bag and the Legally required french stuff (Breathalyzer, first aid kit, triangle, high viz vest spare bulbs.

Your car will get dirty and damp on the inside no matter what you try, accept it!

A bucket for your snow chains to dry them off and some gloves for putting them a small mat to kneel on is always helpful, and a can of WD40

Tolls will add approx 80-100 Euro to your drive through france!

Take it, so worth having it
latest report
Fattes13, Breathalyser no longer needed. The law was repealed before Sarko's got kicked out I believe.
ski holidays
Don't think I've seen it mentioned here and haven't enough experience of the French Alps to say if it's any use, but one Swedish trick is to have some old newspapers in the boot, just in case you've managed to plant the car where you cannot get any traction at all to move off. Place newspapers in front or behind wheels in direction of travel, and no more being stuck... apart from that, and apart from what's compulsory in France, a decent set of winter boots for the car, a good car battery (and a good charger is always worthwhile to have back home), jump leads and tow rope and you'll be fine. Shovel will probably be good for dumps, given I only live 200 metres above sea level I can usually skip this, but not always!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Davecon70, if you're hard up, and not short of time, you can always drive off the toll roads - will take longer, spend the night in a Formule 1.
ski holidays
A bag of cat litter also works for traction on ice to get the car moving.
ski holidays
Aw schucks, I've just given two bags away thinking they were no longer any use.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Sarkozy left office in May 2012 and the law was enacted in April 2013, all major operators to France still carry it as a requirement on their advice pages like Eurotunnel, although law I don't, think there is any penalty for not actually having one!

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/driving-in-france/

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/france
snow report
I hope you're not all going to be driving round the mountains leaving mountains of soggy newspaper and cat litter in your wake. Get the right tyres and put the chains on if you are losing traction. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
pam w, forgive my ignorance - what happens if you leave the handbrake on? Cannot be released?

A dull Dobby
snow report
pam w, No matter what your tyres, if you are in a car park which turns into a sheet of ice then you may find it difficult to get your car out of the space. I once had to put chains on just to get it onto the main part of the car park, a couple of bits of carpet or some cat litter would have worked more quickly.
ski holidays
dobby, http://www.wikihow.com/Free-a-Frozen-Parking-Brake
ski holidays
pam w - I pick up after myself, bit harder with cat litter I must say... have to take the kitty scoop with me... NehNeh

dobby - that's exactly what happens - you'll find that that it freezes up.
latest report
Scarpa, I'd be afraid that once I'd moved a few feet on my nice carpet of cat litter I'd still be in an icy car park. I'd put the chains on, I think - I can do it pretty quickly these days.

When I drove to Arabba last year I took a stonking great shovel and was very glad of it, digging through enormous piles of snow. Also glad of some snowheads to help - a gargantuan task especially when the snowplough had put a wall of consolidated stuff a metre high across the entrance to the hotel...... But normally I have just a small kids beach shovel, a couple of feet long, in the car, for clearing snow away from the wheels prior to putting chains on.

Yes, I have got others started with my jump leads and I wouldn't be without them. You need heavy duty ones for a diesel (as I found when the ones I;d had for years started to smoke....)

I always have a tow rope too. Without one I'd not have had the satisfaction being a little old lady towing a Frenchman's stupid great Porsche Cayenne out of a snowdrift. wink
snow conditions
I was trying to park on the top car park at Les Houches, it was an invisible sheet of ice, and very gently sloping sideways. Spaces were at a premium. I had 4x4 and snow tyres, yet still as I stopped I felt the car very slowly moving sideways, I made me feel a bit sick. I managed to back out of the space without incident. After parking somewhere safe I spotted another car trying to park in the same spot, I tried hard to warn him but he was having none of it. He got out of his car, which then very slowly slid sideways into the next car. I think the drivers willie fell off.
latest report
pam w, quality. There's something wrong about Porsche Cayennes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy