Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to the Baron?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at a new pair of skis for the seasons that will primarily be skied inbounds but was considering a tour binding so I have the option.

I have a pair of Barons on my WD Preachers and to be honest I have put them through all kinds of pain in the worst of Scottish conditions and they have lasted well -they are as robust as any non-touring binding - the trouble is the weight - they are pretty heavy.

Is there anything that I could be looking at for my new skis (not yet purchased but maybe something like line sick day or whitedot one) that is robust enough for inbounds and side country.

To be honest I may just get another set of Barons and get a wee bit fitter.

My boots can take a tech binding.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Marker F12s for that sort of thing and have been pretty pleased with them. my skis are quiverkillered so I can swap it tech bindings - generally use these for pure touring and the F12s for lift served. I like tech bindings in soft snow, but prefer the little bit of give in the Markers for skiing on hard snow and they are more convenient to step into (esp since my techs have leashes but no brakes)

maybe some of the newer tech bindings will be less harsh on hard snow, but I don't want to drill any more holes in my skis right now
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use f12's too, they are lightish, rigid enough as an alpine binding plus can be used both with at and alpine boots. OK for day tours or more if you are fit. I love them.
Tech is the way to go if you want super light, and with the latest boots and radical bindings there is almost no downside apart from the cost.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynafit Beasts are my solution for this - brilliant Freeride/ touring binding with brakes. Used to ski with Dukes, Beast is so much lighter and really planted. My OH skis in F10's, lighter version of F12 I'd have no hesitation using a F12, can't go wrong with Marker they are very robust.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roscoeh, I know I know!! , but but I used the F12's for the first time last season and will be getting a pair mounted to my own skis for this coming season, work really well and as others have already said very recommended.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have looked at the beast 14/16 and it is a very nice looking binding. Half thinking about taking the old Barons my preachers and mounting them on he new skis and hoping and praying for some cash to falls from the sky to get the Beast.

Anyone know how the screw positions line up and if this can be done?

F12's look decent but not a massive weight reduction on the Barron unless I am mistaken - although with smaller skis could be a pretty sweet combo.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roscoeh, F12s only 150g per binding heavier than a beast 16 and 250g lighter than a Baron according to this

http://www.evo.com/ski-binding-weight-chart-for-alpine-backcountry-bindings.aspx
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MTFU and get a Tracker/Guardian Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy