Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
I'm arriving there on Saturday too, just been to wax up the fat boys Cool snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Generally good conditions again today, fantastic runs down from Saulire in the morning to Meribel, a little dabble up towards the Val T valley then back over and down from Saulire to Courch. The run down to Meribel was glorious ... apart from the last 2 - 300 metres, icy then very slushy later in the day and several of the valley runs were closed due to large brown patches or just complete lack of snow.

Mottaret looked better but didnt't actually get there. Last run of the day back drom Saulire was a nightmare as cloud came in and couldn't see a damn thing. Snow in Courchevel holding up nicely as didnt get too warm and there's a tiny dribble of snow falling at the moment. A great days skiing with the exception of the last run from top to mid mountain when I could then actually see again!

Wishing tomorrow wasn't our last day. Oh only other dampner on the day was some fool (didnt stop apparently) ploughing into my son at speed during his lessons. Obviously I didn't see it but ski instructor was unimpressed. No major injuries but a quite nasty cut to his wrist and graze on his chin plus shook up little boy Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last on the spot report as our last day Sad Lovely blue skies this morning meant we had the great views which had been missing much of the week. Fantastic morning's skiing, but the temperature was much warmer today so it really did slush up a lot. Quite a melt going on at village level today.

Still lots of snow on the pistes so nothing to worry about and getting colder again the next few days with a bit of fresh forecast. A great week all in all, having never been to Courchevel before my impression is great skiing (especially for beginners with ideal greens and blues higher up not restricting them to just the low slopes), it is too pricey, quite a lot of nice alpine buildings so quite attractive/not an eyesore but the shops and restraunts are too poncey / irritating on the whole. Easily avoided/ignored just a shame as would be nicer with a more "normal" mix.

In summary very sad to be leaving! All the best to those out from this weekend, wish we were here another week snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 3-04-15 22:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a safe journey home @Rowlski, your reports have certainly helped us count down the last days to our trip.

Just arrived in Brides Les Bain after a nice easy drive down today via Buffalo Grill in Chambery for dinner to keep the kids happy!

Quick drive up to Meribel Village tomorrow am then 7 days of 3Vs skiing awaits Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have woken up to a very white Courchevel 1650 this morning. Probably only a couple of inches down here but a nice surprise for Easter. I can't see how far down the valley the snow line is but hopefully it'll stay cold as it was very heavy yesterday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Torrential rain in BLB last night so hope to find plenty of fresh niege up in the vallees 🎿
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
I'm arriving there on Saturday too, just been to wax up the fat boys Cool snowHead

What you do in your own time is entirely up to you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back home sadly but had to clear the car of about 10cms of fresh snow this morning before we could get going. Made for a lovely picturesque drive down the mountain and the rest of the journey was nice & smooth (with the exception of Grenoble airport rolling eyes).

Snowline was definitely below 1550 though imagine it may have melted again lower down more quickly, pistes 1850 and up must have been pretty good as from webcams looks like there was still snow on the trees at village level in the evening, always a good sign!

@Roger C & @Mosha Marc, hope you have a splendid time out there this week Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Rowlski,

Snow in great condition today on the higher slopes, but sadly it's difficult to see past the end of your skis - it's very foggy from 1700m upwards.

Bloody cold on the lift out of Meribel Village @ 930am, felt more like Christmas than Easter! Took far longer than usual to ski over to Courchevel 1850 to hunt for the luxury chocolate eggs in their gondolas Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A Gucci chocolate egg no doubt!! Shame about the visibility, hopefully improves tomorrow. At least it's staying cold and wintry so the snow should stay In good nick. How is the snow in Meribel now?

Wish I was still there!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We ventured out for an hour late afternoon sans enfants but stayed low to keep some vis!

@Rowlski, snow coverage even down to the Chaudanne is better than usual for this time of year and high up it's great.

Forecast for clear skies for next few days which will be good news Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very poor vis all day
Mostly circuited top of Altiport to Meribel Village
Snow in excellent cond, low temps.
If sunny tomorrow, getting out early & staying high apres midi.
Aiming for first lift out of Meribel Village
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied with MrsEd and little eds today. Fantastic

Fresh snow and blue skies in the morning- cold and powdery. Eldest son made some tele turns off piste for the first time- very nice and middle child also managed some decent turns in easy angled powder.

Picked up youngest child from Meribel- down to la Tania for an affordable lunch- then Courchevel and back up to Saulier and down to Meribel- slushy for only the last 500m.

Fabulous about 5600m vertical which is OK with a just 6 year old in the afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any tips for affordable eats other than la Tania?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great piste conditions today, but some planning required to hit the right piste at the right time.

Tougnette side was lovely this morning. Black ecureuil was fantastic, freshly groomed and empty Very Happy We spotted that Olympic chair was running and having not been up there for years headed over, blue roc de fer first then the black face, both recommended for a good blast.

It was hot from lunchtime onwards but clouds started rolling in at about 330pm on the higher peaks.

In summary great Easter conditions!
snow report
@ed123, depends what you want but for a cheap quick bite the place in Mottartet on the left just before entering the Truite run is hard to beat. Burgers, hot dogs, panninis, sausage and chips etc for about 6E each.

It's got some tables and chairs so ideal to sit outside if it's sunny.....
snow report
@Roger C, one of my fav snack bars. No waiting for waiters n bills, wasting ski time +1 recommend the Americain. Baguette with burger chips n salad in. Yummy.

Also best Easter snow conds I've seen in a while. More sun demain apparently.
VT was busy as you'd expect in the sun.
ski holidays
Probably a bit of a hike if in Meribel but we found a good affordable creperie very near the bottom of the gondola station at Courchevel 1550. The Courcheneige just off the Bellecote piste in 1850 was recommended by others higher up though didn't get there as not easily accessible for my non skiing wife & 4 year old daughter.

Glad to hear the conditions still sound great Smile
latest report
VT has been stunning all week. A little warmer today, but third bluebird day on the run, and another promised tomorrow.

Skied into Meribel today first thing. Lovely up to the last 200m which turned into pisted ice down to Pas du Lac. Then up Saulire which was fabulous, but down again down Grand Rosiere was icy, and the final red down to the Plattieres lift was a joke of snow-cannon ice - hilarious fun for us, but if you hated ice you would have had a torrid time.

Back to VT for the rest of the day which was still near perfect in most areas, particularly up higher. The ski gods have looked kindly on us this year (despite the "both ends" stomach bug which we have brought with us and has now affected me, three of my four boys and my sister in law - think we brought that one with us though!)
snow report
One word to describe today? HOT!

Sitting on the balcony in Meribel Village and it's 20degrees at 530pm

Tip for tomorrow, get out there early!
latest report
Wow Shocked hope still good up top
latest report
April 9. Today we had a hard and fast day in two of the Three Valley's. Left early so that we were in Mottaret when the lifts opened.

Headed over to the Courchevel side and had a little play in the off piste on the way down to Courchevel 1650. Found a little good spring snow, but mostly it was still frozen as it was quite early.

Went back up the top of the Creux Noirs chair and into the off piste zone. Found good snow and fresh tracks under the chair and in the steeper gully.

Then back up again and a big traverse to skiers right and another fun Couloir with room for fresh tracks most of the way back to the chair.

Time to head for the Saulire Couloirs. Climbed up into the higher couloir to the right of the normal piste route. A fun entrance and good snow all the way down. Then round into the back valley and more good snow to the bottom of the tow.

Up top of the Creux Noirs again and off piste down to Mottaret Gondola and up top of Mont Vallon after I made a little detour to find another steeper couloir to play in.

Two laps of Mont Vallon, first skiers left with a nice little untracked spring powder field and then skiers right all the way back to Mottaret in more fresh untracked spring powder passing a few avalanche areas.

A really fun day and plenty of good snow, although some people had tired legs by the end. The spring conditions are very good right now, but you do need to be careful in avalanche areas. We saw a few slides today,

For anyone in Les Arcs. It is well worth the effort of driving down to the Three Valleys for a day. The photos for today are posted in the Three Valleys 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow report
Just back from a week in La Tania and skied a good part of the Trois Vallees.
A very quick summary would be that it was just about the most perfect week of Easter skiing wink

In slightly more detail, basically most runs open to main village and higher is awesome.
La Tania - skiing back to La Tania was possible with the Folyeres blue and Arolles green both open (but red Moretta closed as was Jockeys to Le Praz)
Courchevel - mostly all good although starting to suffer at Moriond. Higher awesome although inevitable slush by afternoon - Both Grand Couloir and Couloir Tournier open (although I could see they might close Tournier soon due to entry getting thin and threat from avalanches from heavy late afternoon snow).
Meribel - west facing slopes suffering low down but still good access. Up high at Mont Vallon etc awesome.
Val T/Les Menuires - excellent except lower Les Manuires! Val T to Les Menuires boulevard is (was) open but very soft later than mid morning!
St Martin - upper stuff good and quiet...
Meribel seemed noticeably quieter than Courchevel for some reason.

(Thanks to all those who earlier reassured me - quite rightly - that the access down to La Tania would be fine!)
ski holidays
Yesterday was our first day of skiing in Les Menuires. Blue skies all day and seriously warm but the pistes still seem to have a decent a,punt of snow. Very soft by mid afternoon but great fun none the less.
ski holidays
My brother and nephews is out in VT at the moment and so I keep getting texts updating me (normally I'd be out there with them). Apparently conditions are amazing out there - the snow base is good (albeit a little slushy late in the day), with wall-to-wall sunshine and blue skies. Very jealous!!!
snow conditions
Last day of skiing and unusually for me I stopped for the day at 12. Raining at Reberty 2000, gradually turning into very wet snow as you get higher. Even up at 3200m it was still the kind of wet snow that obscures vision through the goggles. Maybe 10cm of fresh high up but it actually made the skiing very hard work - clumps of fresh lying on top of the older slushy stuff. Visibility very poor all the way down to Reberty.

Hopefully this extra snow will improve the pistes for everyone coming out next week!
snow report
The warmth is really hitting things now though. Still remarkably good pistes high up in the morning. below 2600 in the afternoon and it is swimming home time.

Tomorrow should be a bit brighter again and a cold night would be welcome.
snow report
Does anyone know what's the last day the lifts will be running in VT. I think it says May 10th on the web but that may depend on conditions, no?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The last week starts to become a bit of a ghost town as some bars/restaurants do start preparing to shut up shop.

However, the lifts or at least many of them, to my knowledge always have run on the last day. It can be a bit patchy coming down into the village though as it starts to melt around the central town bit.

The piste snow higher up though lasts pretty well on the north facing slopes so the Caron, Portette, grand fond and Moraine lifts tend to go to the end.

I have been there in June and you could have hiked up and skied down some of the pistes, although the electric fences on some would have been a problem.
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
The last week starts to become a bit of a ghost town as some bars/restaurants do start preparing to shut up shop.

Sorry, I know you're a local but I've got to disagree with that. Last week of the season this year is Dutch week http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/activities-and-entertainment/events/details/dutch-week.372.e168.html which IME is far from a ghost town!
snow report
That's true and it's normally the last week April rather than the first week of May. I still think you'll see businesses gradually boarding up.

But we agree on the basics and that is that most of the lifts will run until the last day.
latest report
I've seen some of them boarding up because of Dutch week, I'm not sure everyone is enthralled with them.
snow report
Folie Douce is closed already! Maybe they're not keen on Dutch Week

Mottaret was open yesterday just for the VT links (Plattieres, Cote Brune and Plan des Mains). Scarily quiet. Pistes were mostly glue and gloop, but a couple of great spots, particularly at the top of Lac de la Chambre, and nobody (really, nobody) on it. In fact, I skied from top of 3 Valleys 2 back to Mottaret, and didn't see another person apart from a couple of lifties.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy