Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Ski Wax for the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations for good ski wax to use for a hot wax in normal Alps conditions? I am guess -2C to -10C temperatures?

I am in need of a new batch and interested in peoples thoughts on this!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swix CH7. Pretty much most universal glide wax, and relatively cheap. Good enough for alpine, while for xc, you need much more then single wax in collection, not to mention fluro is big plus with that Smile But for alpine you don't need to worry (and spend) all that much.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jogi, what single glide wax would you recommend for non-competitive, casual, relaxed, XC excursions? My skis don't absolutely have to have any wax, but I gather it would improve things.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In xc skiing yes, it would GREATLY improve things Smile Good glide really makes things different, as with xc skiing you do the work, not gravity. Because it matters so much, single wax won't really work, as it's big difference between 0c and -10c. But with CH8 (+4 to -4c) and CH7 (-2 - -8c) you are pretty much covered, except for spring skiing, when it's warm and wet. But then again, for sort of normal glide in those conditions, high fluoro is only way to go anyway. If money is not problem, fluoro waxes are really worth their money. For alpine skiing, it's waste of money, especially for recreational skiing, while for xc they really are worth. But even normal hydrocarbon with right temperature range, are A LOT better then nothing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks jogi and pan - good advice here. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jogi, I don't spend enough time XC skiing for the cost of wax to be an issue - would there be just one fluoro wax which would be "OK" (I don't demand more) in a good range of conditions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not really. Temp range on high fluoro and hydrocarbon are officially more or less same, but in reality it's even more delicate to wax. Especially as when you use HF waxes, you are normally after top possible glide (most of time also with fluro powders on top). But no matter what, there's no single wax, unfortunately. If you go fluoro way, HF7 and HF8 (for more expensive high fluoro) or LF7/LF8 combo (for a cheaper low fluoro option).
But when I said price is high I really meant that. 1kg of CH wax is about 50eur in store, while less then 200g of HF wax is more then 120-130eur (LF goes for around 110eur/kg).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, You could also look here. You can get the wax in Passy or Albertville.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, campieur in Sallanches has a good selection and not too expensive both for alpine and xc. Incl very big bars for alpine, saves a fortune. I'm also interested in XC wax jogi, would you recommend them on skis with scales, not on the scales obviously. I do have a slight problem with my xc skis not sticking when I kick, they do seem to glide ok, I did think they may not be long enough. Maybe I'm just crap at it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
(Good) glide on xc skis is much more important then on any alpine skis (including DH at racing level). Every meter you make on xc skis, it's because of your own power, not to mention snow conditions are normally more demanding then "ice" on alpine tracks. And you need to push much harder when skis don't glide. So yes, even on skis with scales glide wax is good thing. Of course as you wrote not on scales, but on front and back (glide part) of skis.
As far as "missing" kick goes, it can be many different things. First, technique can be wrong, even though once you are on skis with scales this is probably not the case, as you are most likely more like walking then really skiing. Then skis can be too hard, and your kick wax zone (scales zone) doesn't reach to snow to get kick once weight is on one ski, or there's just dirt/glide wax on this part and it doesn't stick to snow. If skis are too hard, only option are new skis, if it's second thing, there are sort of sprays to "wax" this zone on waxless skis and you get better grip. So I would suggest you to get that thing, and try this first, as it's definitely cheaper and faster then changing skis, and, even though I have no info about your skis, weight etc., I'm about 90% sure it will solve your problem.
Normally ski stiffness in xc skis depends on length of skis, so "not long enough" skis are normally softer then longer ones, so this is definitely not causing problem with too little kick.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would buy the White stuff on the shelf in the ski shop, coloured is warm or cold!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jogi, many thanks. I'll try that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

there are sort of sprays to "wax" this zone on waxless skis and you get better grip

I'll give that a go. I am only doing XC for exercise and fun, and do try to glide (I've done quite a lot of lessons, though I'm still cr@p and can't do step turns yet) so it's not too big a deal if it's slightly hard work!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy