Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

we're a nation of ski-fraudsters!

Poster: A snowHead
Do you recognise yourself in this desciption?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-12-05 15:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand, or a mod - if you blitz the 1st url in square brackets it will become a working link. And the second can then also go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
still not sure if I've done it correctly but go to MSN home page you'll get it. Anyway seems to me to be another of these sweeping generalisations about us brits along with nation of shopkeepers, drunks on the piste etc..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's the link. I think we have already chewed over a similar report.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have any Snowheads actually had skis stolen. No one I know actually seems to have had them taken. It amazes me when I see the number of unattended skis outside mountain cafes etc. Skiers must be an honest bunch!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lynne123, admin famously had his Pocket Rocket's stolen, it lead to much distress and a subsequent glut of skis as he overcompensated for his loss, jonpim had is hire Saloman Screams nicked from outside a restaurant in VT whilst I was with him. So I'd say it wasn't uncommon...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nope never had mine go missing, I did last year meet someone who did get there skis stolen but then she'd left them on a rack outside a bar all night so what did she expect Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We lost 2 pairs in 1 week in Val d'Isere 2 years ago, but both accidental. I feel strangely comforted as my "new" skis gradually date and look more like a pair of hire skis
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had my rental Crossmax 10s stolen in Les Arcs three years ago from a mountain restaurant.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a pair of skis stolen and on the same day another of our group had his stolen from a completely different area of the same resort (Passo Tonale). They were both hire skis from the same shop. We had to pay for both pairs - slightly suspicious given that the rep said they had never heard of any skis being stolen before!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never lost skis (but then we always split them AND lock them, so there are always plenty of easier targets around) but have had poles taken once.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's the issue - I don't understand why people simply don't lock their skis - & it would be a tidy earner for ski shops to sell renter a lock at Euro15 a week. Still keep on not locking them folks - makes mine look far less attractive!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm gonna stick some car spray paint on mine as old style B2's look too alike - ppl keep grabbing them hehehe

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 13-12-05 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone was once trying to click into my crappy rented skis at L'Arpette restaurant above Belle Plagne. Simple case of mistaken identity - he had the same model from the same shop. His were a few metres away. But with bindings set for his bigger boot size.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone once tried to take mine by accident - she hadn't noticed that mine were about 40 cms longer than hers!!!! (really was an accident). Shocked
latest report
I had an pair nicked out of the garage of a chalet in Tignes just after arriving, weren't anything special. Went down later in the evenign to get the ski tech to wax and edge them and took a while to discover they'd gone as I'd had a few beers by that time and wondered whether I'd just lost them, but it turned out someone else had had a pair stolen at the same time. This would have been 2001 I reckon. Left the poles the cheeky b**d's. Managed to claim on insurance. Ever since swap a ski at resturants etc.
snow report
Nobody owning up to an overegged insurance claim then? Laughing (chuckle) What an honest lot we are.

Never had any nicked and my mate did leave his own broken ones in a ski rack in Chamonix at the end of the last day. For all I know they are still there. Have even given up swapping skis when leaving them which is probably asking for trouble on my next trip.

Another pal did manage to snap both his poles getting off a chair lift which made for an interesting descent back to the town. On return to the ski hire shop at the end of the week the shop assistant got so distracted that my mate managed to slide a pair of poles off the rack and 'return' them with his skis (naughty boy) Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Whenever we rent we stick name labels in dayglow orange on the skis....stops people wandering off with them by mistake. They get quite embarassed when you point out the huge glowing sticker....
snow conditions
I had two pairs of skis stolen.... from under my bed.... in a house burglary Evil or Very Mad

Didn't have house insurance - so im down £600...
snow conditions
I had some nicked outside cafe in Alpe D'Huez 2 years ago, police not interested, rep said pretty common in holidays as Par*si*ns visit the resort to 'stock up' on equipment !!
That's one advantage of my now using snowblades, I take them with me!
Always get my kid's to lock their ski's to something immovable (when not using them).
snow conditions
provenjohn, Sounds like a plan to lock them when in use if your kids are being a pain that day! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
some choice quotes in that article:
"British insurers paying out more readily." - I'd hate to be a European - in my experience insurers will do everything possible to wriggle out of paying.
besides, most insurance firms are either subsidiaries of international firms, or re-insured by bigger/international firms, so the risks will be similar.

"It is also thought that the increase in theft claims on a Friday may result from a deliberate ploy by criminal gangs. "
&
"It is the British who are mainly talked about since they contribute to such a high proportion of tourists in the French Ski resorts"

... so what they're _really_ saying is: "we don't have any actual statistical evidence so we'll make up a story based on assumptions". The last quote may in fact be quite reasonable - if Brits make up the majority of tourists, one would expect them to make up the majority of claimants, unless we were unusually lucky!

Quality MSN journalism, not!
snow conditions
The common denominators here appear to be Fr*nce and the Fr*nch. In over 30 years I've never had skis stolen (poles once but the thief skiied up to me later in the day to ask directions and I decked him softly). I normally only go to Austria or North America, I rarely bother to split pairs and this is all making me wonder if insurance companies should load premiums for people going to the aforementioned Gallic place.
snow report
Quote:
(poles once but the thief skiied up to me later in the day to ask directions and I decked him softly)

How could you tell they were yours though, and not an identical pair? Confused
ski holidays
mark_s, Graphite poles at a time when v few people had them and I had non-standard straps. Anyway, after the melee and some torture, he admitted that he couldn't find his poles so he took them off the skis next to his in the ski room (mine).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy