Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel bag for international travel that will accomodate boots helmet and clothes

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for recommendations on how to travel from Australia to Canada with ski boots and helmet and clothing
Will be renting skis and am having a few days non skiing so want to make it easy if possible as will have several transfers
Flying air Canada 25 kg limit
Any suggestions on luggage brands ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sperks, I've flown air Canada many times and it's always been 32k Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I looked at the Kathmandu 120ltr wheeled supertanker yesterday in london (its on Australian outlet store online at less $ than in the uk .)
Bags this size are normally 5kg+ this one is 4kg or a little less. Its a big bag though and will take your boots helmet and 25kg by my estimate of using rolling duffels.
You may want to add some pillow sized plastic zip compartments which could be cinched down inside otherwise the contents compress to the rear of the bag during baggage handling.
Some of he other katman bags telescopic handles looked dodgy like they were about to break on the first trip once loaded .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For limits you have to check the specific flights - google is your friend.

But if you're going through Heathrow I believe the maximum weight is 23Kgs (it's an airport limit not an airline one). If you're using Canadian internal flights, well depending on how you buy the ticket you may still get your 23Kgs for free, but more than that would risk some hassles, as some of those internal flights aren't all that huge.

Personally I like the Da Kine stuff, although it's not cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sperks, jeepers. That's rubbish! And the size limit isn't exactly excellent either.

We have a mid sized case from this range http://www.itluggage.com/products/view/World's%20Lightest%20-%20%202%20Wheel-60 which probably does about 6 return flights a year, it's about 4 years old and is wearing fine. It really is super light though - makes an immense difference. You could get the 26" which only weighs 1.9 kgs and should have plenty of room for what you need.

Our last Canada trip we had boots in ordinary carry on cases.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The North Face bags are very strong, and very light. You will have to carry them though, most have shoulder straps. [url] http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/d/equipment/c/travel-bags.html[/url]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go for a big duffle bag like the North Face ones or a Patagonia Black Hole. I have the latter - no frills, wheels, clever dividing mechanisms etc, but it's huge, hardwearing and only weighs just over 1kg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sperks, just realized I always add sports equip in my baggage so have the extra. The North Face expedition bag will hold all you need and more. Very light and tough.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sperks, I am not sure what the problem is. 25kg is surely enogth to carry ski boot, clothes etc. or are you going for the whole season? Most airlines I travel with reroute your bags at transfers. Or are your transfers really stop overs?

Nevertheless the advice given above about Expedition bags is definately worth following. We have used the double sided bags from Salomon, DaKine etc (ski boots and all ski clothing in one side and spare clothes, books etc in the other) and though they look and act beautifully when new their wheels get damaged very easily on airlines and may struggle with several transfers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, and they are very heavy when empty...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, be careful with Air Canada's size limit. I am pretty sure the Dakine models will be over it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's no 23kg limit at Heathrow, its 32kg. Any lower limits are the choice of the airline.

I like the giant north face style bags; I have a decathlon knock-off 120L which is great. They have rucsac straps which, in snowy conditions, are vastly more useful than trying to wheel something along. I can easily get 2 people's gear including boots into one. Then again, I can do 8 days around the US on just a cabin bag Mad (in the absence of an emoticon holding its nose)

(edited for poor grammar)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for the north face duffel bag. Comfortably get boots, helmet and weeks clothes in mine ( 90litre) and find the backpack straps very useful. Cotswold outdoor currently doing the mountain equipment equivalents at reduced prices
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, My ski bag's just over 2m . . . never had a prob with Air Canada. Check in staff don't carry rulers, they just weigh it, tag it and send you down to the 'oversize' bags conveyor.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, sure. So, when some new, uptight AC agent checks Sperks wildly outsized bag and says, "Honey, your bag's too big", he'll be fine saying, "no worries, Masque says it's fine"?

The AC website is as quite clear about max size as it is about weight. And it's $100 (Canadian I presume) if you're wrong.
snow report
The Eastpak container bags are rugged and large Smile
snow conditions
under a new name, xtra bags have always been +100 & 12 flights out of 12 without any problems about size of my bag. It is a NF base camp xl. I've never managed to fill it so it's not like a hard case. But as you say, you take your own decisions and the risks that come with them.
ski holidays
+1 for the Dakine split roller. I picked one up end of season and it has been brilliant. The zip sections inside mean that helmet, boots and gear can be separated without crushing anything more delicate (toiletries etc).
It is big and it's not the lightest, but the wheels are tough and I haven't had any problems with the pull out handle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy