Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots for a Season of Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a daft question but I need some advice, done the usual search of the forum but cant find the answers to my question.

This winter I'm working a season out in Austria with Crystal Ski, never done anything like this before so its all a first for me.
I've always rented equipment in the past and Crystal will be providing equipment if needed however, I struggle to get a good fit in my ski boots and it always resorts in several trips to the rental shop. Usually I end up with a size slightly bigger and have them done up rather tight.

Now I know I have awkward shape feet (previously worked in Clarks and was always mocked for my rather short and very fat feet) but I really cant be bothered with the hassle of going too and fro changing boots to get a good fit whilst trying to look after lots of guests. I've been considering buying a pair in the UK and testing them out at the Hemel snow centre.

My biggest concern with this is that I will end up forking out for a nice pair of boots, getting a good fit for a few hours wear on the slopes at Hemel but find they are agony when I'm out in Austria. I don't really fancy being out of pocket because its been over 6 months since I purchased them.

What I would like to know is what do you guys think is best?
Should I buy a pair of boots in the UK and hope that because they are comfortable skiing at Hemel that I will be fine for 6 months in Austria?
Or should I stick with the rental boots provided by Crystal in Austria and if I find a comfortable pair whilst I'm away then see if I can purchase them?

Many thanks
Regards Nat
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely, definitely buy out there.

What resort? Someone might recommend a good fitter.

You may find that the hire shop(s) that you use can get you a better fit and maybe a good price as your (employer) is bringing them business.

Most resorts have at least basic fitting as the local shops will be kitting out the local racers and instructors.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
njathind, I was very happy with the fitting service I got from Snowtrax which is a little way from you, but not horrendous. Also CEM - Colin at Solutions for Feet always comes highly recommended on here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ, the problem is if something goes wrong after a couple of days or weeks. If you're there all season, you are almost certainly better buying out locally for local support.

And as I suggested, there may be economic benefits. When I did my seasons (admittedly a very long time ago) while the shop we used was happy to provide me with kit, they were happier to sell me said kit, new, at cost. As that meant any damage I did was my problem.

njathind, also, if you are skiing a lot (which depends entirely on what job you have and your endurance in the face of constant partying) (oh and don't be disappointed if it's more work and less skiing than imagined, that's normal) - you may find your boot demands change over the season.

For example, not knowing how much skiing you've done, a reasonable progression would be from a decent intermediate piste boot at the start to wanting the additional support and operational flexibliity of a modern freeride boot come April. Which means, (and a good rental shop should have some good quality/fit and range of intermediate to advanced boots) maybe using their boots, as well sized as possible, for a few weeks until you really know what you're going to want, then buying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
However I took the for the post that Nat didn't really feel she would have the time in resort to do the fitting once she is out there.... ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oops, yes, NickyJ, you're quite right, I hadn't read that, but on re-reading...

njathind, Nat, the generally received best way to buy ski boots is to go to a good boot fitter and having them fitted. Most (all) people won't generally find a pair of ski boots that fit their feet without any adjustment, without buying them too big.

Boot fitting more or less involves establishing what you want from a boot (based on ability/experience/aims and physiology), determining a small number of models that will work, finding the correct shell size, and then deciding which fits best. I am afraid that at this point, colour and whether they match your ski pants, under pants or eyes is pretty immaterial.

Then, if you are really lucky, you're done.

Most people however will benefit from, or need (I need) a custom molded insole and probably some adjustments to the plastic shell or padded liner for real comfort. This isn't a 5 minute process. But if you're there for a season...

N.B. this doesn't need to cost any more than you were going to pay for the boots in the first place Happy

Also, if you have tricky feet, you'll never find a comfortable pair of boots that are the correct size without proper fitting. In my first 36 (dated, aren't I?) years of skiing I think I owned around 14 pairs of boots of many types and brands (starting with lace up leather ones) and none of them were pain free until I had my first properly fitted pair. Not a good thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
njathind,

Depending on how far away from the norm your feet are it might be that no off the shelf boot will fit you properly. Companies such as "Dale" or "Strolz" make tailored to fit boots where the shell is moulded to match your feet.

Strolz are in Lech, Austria. Dale also have suppliers in the UK and Austria.

http://www.daleboot.com/stores-europe.html

http://www.strolz.at/en/?PHPSESSID=27e57f31e4fbd60f9ee3d9e1d774f6da

Generally the smaller shops / distributors sell the "normal" range (off the shelf) and you have to visit the factory to have a boot moulded to match your feet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
100% buy in resort. Take your time don't cheap it out get foot beds, and keep going back until perfect, no pain, no play, they should grip your foot like you were gently squeezing it with your hand. Don't go too big. You will do better if your in a smaller resort.

Crystal will have a deal with one of the shops, be their friend, chalet wine/cake will lubricate the wheels. Speak to the TO rep they will know the score. Many TO will have an arrangement for free hire stuff for staff.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, buy there.. Most jobs are not to bad for daytime time off which is exactly when shops want you to visit as visitors are all skiing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-10-14 22:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Crystal will have a deal with one of the shops, be their friend, chalet wine/cake will lubricate the wheels. Speak to the TO rep they will know the score. Many TO will have an arrangement for free hire stuff for staff.

Good advice re. making friends with the shop staff. This includes getting your guests there on time, guests knowing their weight, shoe size etc. OP appears to think Crystal will be providing boots, but usually its the local shop that has a deal with Crystal to provide staff with equipment. As others have said, a good shop might sell you stuff at cost price (or with a big discount) if you get in with them. My advice is to get good boots from the shop (i.e. the boots provided under the Crystal deal) and change them as the season and your ski skills progress. As for asking the TO rep - Nat is the TO rep?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Undoubtedly buy in resort.... But not on day one.

In whichever resort your in there will be one fitter who everyone uses... Everyone in terms of instructors, pisteurs, residents etc etc etc take a while to find out who it is and then speak to them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

If you're in Austria then you'll be assigned your resort during the training period, which makes it hard to know whether you'll end up in a resort with a good shop or not. You'll find it challenging, but not impossible, to get around different resorts during the season - public transport is limited and companies are naturally cautious about letting employees use the staff transport for personal leisure time!

Once you're out there, depending on your roll you'll have a few weeks of centralised training when you'll have very little free time in the daytime, and then a set-up period in resort, where again you'll struggle to get any shopping time done. Once this is all over and you're into a normal routine, say early Jan at the latest, but more likely approaching normality by first guests at Christmas, you'll find that you've got ample time to go and spend a good chunk of a day boot shopping. Not having them beforehand shouldn't be a massive issue, because you're not likely to have a huge amount of ski time before then either!

Regarding discounts in resort - variable. Yeah, you'll get something, but often it won't be anything beyond standard seasonnaire discount, 10/15%. Occasionally you will find a ski shop that's very friendly towards staff, but it's not certain. Becoming friends with the skimen does help, but again, there'll be limits to what they can offer in terms of discounts on boxed stock before getting in trouble with their bosses. Servicing and tweaks on the other hand...

Finally, you'll find that quite a few UK places will match overseas discounts if you take along some proof that you're working for a Tour Op - phone them up beforehand.

Personally, I'd be tempted to get it sorted before you leave, do a couple of Hemel Days to check nothing horrendous is going on, and rely on in-resort service to sort out any problems you have over there. Have a great season!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
njathind, I also have problem feet (collapsed arches) and custom fitted boots changed skiing for me. I used a UK fitter, but I would definitely go in resort as the boot liners will pack out and the shells will move over your season and you could need anything from simple buckle adjustments to shimming (I have had both done). And as Marcellus said, wait a few weeks. A few reasons: 1) you'll really know where the best places are, 2) depending on your level, you may need/want a different boot than you would at the beginning of the season, and 3) me and you can try a few different rentals to get some idea of which make and model suit you best, which will help a fitter to help you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy