Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney or 3V for off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking to do an off piste week this season with Snoworks. I’ve been
looking at the start of Feb when Snoworks are offering a Backcountry course
in Gressoney and the 3V based in La Tania. I’ve skied in the 3V before but
the weather/conditions meant the off piste really wasn’t worth looking at.

I believe the hotel in Gressoney is supposed to be very good , however
unlike the La Tania course you have to sort your own flights and transfers
so the cost difference is around £200.

The accommodation in La Tania is Chalet Brigitte and in Gressoney the Hotel
Jolanda Sport both on HB basis. Has anyone experienced the off piste in
both that can offer some insight? I realise it will be conditions
dependant, but allt hings being equal which one would you choose? I’m
leaning towards Gressoney as I’ve not skied there and like skiing in Italy,
but justifying if it’s worth the extra £ as with the lift pass it won’t be
far off £1500 for the week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Presumably the lift pass is quite a bit cheaper in Gressoney compared to the 3V though?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The monte rosa pass is rought 100 euro cheaper.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bene, either will be hugely enjoyable. The only thing I would say is that both destinations require the group to be willing to walk in order to find good snow. The 3vs has plentiful and quiet off piste terrain but anything just off the lifts gets hammered instantly. Much of the good stuff in Monte Rosa just requires a bit of a walk. I'd want to be sure it's the kind of week where the guide is cracking the whip a little bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scratchet that I was looking at pre Christmas prices. There's about 80 euros in it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And, the generally prevailing weather systems in the Northern alps both for snow fall and wind mean you're more likely to have soft snow in the 3Vs than around Monterosa. Mind you, off piste is not just about powder.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied both and would choose Gressoney, my reason would be it's much less busy and you are way more likely to get fresh tracks. It hasn't got as much piste as 3v but has very extensive off piste incl a heli option which I would recommend highly. The one down side of Gressoney is the non existent nightlife which you should be too knackered to enjoy anyhow. You can hear a garage door slam at two miles. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IF you've skied the 3V before then I'd also vote Gressoney, fantastic area and a good guide will find you some cracking runs!

One thing I found thought is wind does tend to shut the lifts down in the Gressoney area, if you have skins and can use them that would be an advantage!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd have thought skins would be essential for both?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd have thought skins would be essential for both?

Yes. Although there are fun things in the 3vs that can be accessed through booting/sidestepping. Col de Fruit being the obvious (snowboarder proof) example.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla, and surely if your doing a prime "Backcountry" course, a major element is navigating the backcountry safely, not boot packing "tourist" routes?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do Snoworks skin as part of their courses?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bizarrely, possibly not, reading the marketing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski'd both last year - Meribel January and Gressoney March - for off piste my preference is Gressoney .... much quieter and loads of accessible off piste.
There is loads too in 3V but it doesn't fell that way sometimes !
We stayed at Nordend in Stafal which was superb .... Never went in but Jolanda Sport has a very slow 2 man chair attached to it which accesses the main lifts. Might be quicker to bus it to Stafal though !
And in my view for a week - skins not essential for either ..... but clearly depends what you want to do !

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 17-10-14 17:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Asking around there are two 'Backcountry' courses access which involves some skinning up and just the normal course which does not. It may or may not also depend on the level of the groups?
snow conditions
It depends on your level of experience and skill and what you want to do ..... in Gressoney we skinned up above Punta Indren one day but could not get into the lost valley as the entrance snow was too dangerous. Another day we went to the same place by Helicopter en route to Zermatt .... awesome.
Never actually skinned in 3V as there is so much lift accessible ...
snow conditions
"As there is so much lift accessible"

... Being the main problem on a powder day!
latest report
Thanks for all the replies, I'm pretty set on Gressoney. As the course starts on a Sunday I'm thinking I could fly out on a Thursday and get a few extra days skiing in.

Turin is the most convenient airport but nothing to stop me flying into another airport. How easy will it be to get a single room somewhere for a couple of nights? Any recommendations? I'd skied in Courmeyeur, Pila, and La Thuile.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy