Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Domes de Miage - Armancette Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone skied this?
I've spent rather too long admiring it from St Gervais and Les Contamines in recent years and was thinking it would be a good objective for next spring.
It's a beautiful natural line.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjhw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcarve40.over-blog.com%2Farticle-domes-de-miage-descente-par-le-glacier-d-armancette-31-mars-1er-avril-2012-102670794.html&ei=6fVAVLOUO8jTaNzUgJgM&bvm=bv.77648437,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNElDkcuv06WoQUzBAA6WmnSyKHJ6w&ust=1413629790766162
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have stood at the top of it but not skied it due to avalanche danger

I'd recommend having a night or 2 at the Conscrits refuge and doing some other stuff up there before the Armancette. It's a nice refuge and there are some spectacular mountains up there. Climb up is a bit of a slog though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I've skied it. As I was on an exercise we skied the top half roped, which kills the pleasure a bit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have, well snowboarded it.
Long. Long old run. Spent the night before at the Conscrits

It was an amazing adventure but awful snow conditions. We had a long walk from snow line back to the Valley and I lost both big toe nails!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nice pics Norris. Think it has to be done... Couple of nights in the Conscrits sounds like a good plan
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, we did a couple of nights. also climbed the Pan de Sucre which is a day tour from the Hut across the Valley.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
having decided against the Armancette, we climbed the Pain de Sucre from the Conscrits and descended to the valley off it (ending up in the big bowl under the Col de Cicle etc). That's a really nice descent, but not as spectacular as the Armancette

jedster, good luck and take lots of pics!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It'll be contingent on finding a couple of people to share the guide's fees with by late season
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied it many moons ago, had to walk the bottom half due to being a bad snow year.

The way up has changed with a new route avoiding the mauvais pas on the way to the Conscrits refuge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is a good trip down memory lane - was one of the first ski mountaineering trips I did with my other half many moons ago...

jedster, as the others have said above, well worth doing a couple of nights at the Conscrits if you can get a good weather window.

Pain de Sucre du Mont Tondu is a great tour - slopes centre of picture on far side of glacier:

Actually if memory serves we skinned late afternoon up to Tre-la-tete, then next day skied Pain de Sucre and up to Conscrits (great South-facing terrace...) for a night, then traversed the Domes and down the Armancette.

No pictures of the ski down for some reason, but snow conditions were reasonable and we got as far as the Lac d'Armancette on skis which leaves a bit of a stroll down to the car...

An absolute uber-classic ski tour if you are happy to do a bit of gentle mountaineering.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS don't miss the rightwards traverse towards the Pte de Covagnet...

And it is mostly West-facing so good snow conditions are not necessarily easy to find.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PPS norris, in the first photo you appear to have a piste marker pole with you???
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks ops - pain de sucre looks lovely too. I was a fledgling mountaineer before I was a skier really. Since my mid-twenties I've done very little climbing but plenty of skiing although only a little touring. Done a reasonable amount of adventurous summer trekking so not averse to dragging myself up mountains for hours. These kind of ski tours should give me just the right blend of easy mountaineering, wild scenery and aesthetic skiing. Going to be spending time in the summers in Les C too so hoping to get the kids into a little via ferrata and see where we go from there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, no, but it's definitely the sort of thing I'd like to do more. I come from an adventure racing background and wanting to do some more touring. Let me know of your plans as they unfold and perhaps we could join up to share the costs of guide etc.
Andy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I should add, route finding is not entirely straightforward on the Armancette, don't ski down too far. Some avalanche risk traversing to the Tré-la-Tête refuge/hotel. Be very careful on the paths lower down to les Contamines, they can be totally covered in ice in the spring (and now in the autumn).
snow report
abd - will keep you posted. I'm planning to spend a day doing some "slack country" touring at NY with a guide that I know at NY and will discuss options with him for later in the season.
Thanks davidof - I'm going to use a guide for a while until I'm a bit more in practice. My alpine (mountaineering) skills are definitely rusty and more money and more responsibilities mean I'm not as gung ho as I was in my 20s!
snow report
Anyone been around the Domes lately? What are the conditions like?

I don't think our team will be up to the Armancette so we'll likely go up and down the Tre la Tete glacier with a few diversions on the way.

We are in the difficult position at the moment of deciding which lift passes to get - too many options!
ski holidays
The Conscrits Refuge have their own facebook page and yesterday they spent the day digging out after a lot of heavy snow https://www.facebook.com/pages/Refuge-des-Conscrits/374780659315451?fref=ts
snow report
Very strong north westerly winds and a variable isotherm. The snow in the Tre de la Tete could be good. Conscrits is one of the nicest refuges in the area as new, uber friendly and remote. The joy of the area is also the sting in the tail - no lifts so walk in walk out. Keeps the riff raff away. Armancette is wonderful but have not heard anything this year. With the strong NW winds and the snow pack thinner this year I would be cautious and think of doing more in the Tre de la Tete valley as there are amazing views from the cols and some achievable peaks without the commitment of the Armancette.
ski holidays
slight thread drift. We did it in the summer, up from the village, night at Conscrits, early start then a nice airy walk along Les Domes and I think it is called Berangere. You will obviously be faster down on skis depending on snow-line, but I remember it being a fairly long day. Enjoy.
ski holidays
Well it's not going to happen this year but maybe next. @altis, love to hear about your trip
snow conditions
Not short of snow up there https://www.facebook.com/374780659315451/photos/pcb.677809635679217/677808452346002/?type=1&theater
snow report
So... finally, after a few years of dreaming, have booked a guide for early April with the tentative plan of skiing the Armancette. Whether we do will of course depend on conditions but we will spend a couple of night around the Tres la Tete in any case. So far it is just two of us and that means that we have one space (max ratio is 3 to 1). Anyone interested?

Outline plan is
arrive Les C 6 April, sort out gear, meet guide (can stay at my place that night FOC)
7 April - first lift to Col du Joly, skin for an hour or so to Col de Fenetre or Col de Cicle then ski down to the valley (about 900m descent off piste). Skin to Tres la Tete hut for the night
8 April - longish skin to up glacier Tre la Tete to Col de Chasseurs then ski down and short skin to Refuge des Conscrits
9 April - skin up Domes de Miage (3670m) ski down glacier d'Armancette to Les Contamines - 2500m offpiste, first 500m is 40-45 degrees at high altitude and doubtless feels pretty airy so you'd want to be competent/confident off piste skier. Celebratory beers in Les C. Don't think I can provide a bed that night because friends and family will have arrived to meet us. Pretty sure I can sort out a room in the hotel over the road though.
Cost is about euro 550 for the guide plus hut fees etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy