Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes a good snow vehicle?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Stevo,

Yes I understand how to slow the car down using the gears but there are times when the person in front of you panic brakes before a tight hairpin on a partially ice/snow covered wet road. If you leave too much space between you and the car in front then people behind see it as an invitaion to over take then cut in, then brake.

The Skoda is on the list (I should of added 4x4), it's a shame VW won't let them have the 140 BHP diesel engine not just the 105 BHP.

Edit - Just read on a german site that the Octavia 4x4 with 140 PS should be available in Sep 06, maybe it's worth waiting for that.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David@traxvax,
Quote:

the new Fiat punto 4x4 seems to be a really fun car,
But fiat aren't importing the deisel version to the UK Evil or Very Mad otherwise it is one car I'd seriously look at when I next change vehicle.

I want a small 4WD with a diesel engine that still does 60+mpg. It doesn't have to ne massively fast and I need to be able to get my skis in (with the seats down and the tails up by the passenger is fine by me - thats how they fit in my Fabia). If I can't get that I'll stick with my present front wheel drive deisel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
2. ESP. Does this work well on the snow & Ice?

In answer to part of my own initial question .....

Cars cost a fortune, extras cost even more. I was trying to work out if ESP is worth the money as I've heard ABS criticized in the past.

From this link

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

"Vehicle stability programs, like ESP/ESC, have nothing to do with traction management. They assure directional stability under adverse driving conditions or driver errors. The biggest safety advance since ABS! A must have in a modern vehicle. It almost completely prevents roll overs."

and this link

http://www.familycar.com/NextCar/Step3.htm

"Electronic Stability Control (ESC)? This is a feature that is gaining in popularity and finding its way on less expensive cars each year. Stability control also uses the anti-lock brake sensors plus an inertia sensor to help keep you from losing control, especially on slippery surfaces. It works by monitoring your speed, the position of the steering wheel and the G-forces that the car is generating to determine whether you are sliding, or following your intended course. If the computer determines that you are going too fast around a corner and have begun to lose control, it will immediately intervene by applying one or more brakes and reducing engine power until you are back on your intended course. For instance, if your rear end begins to spin out, the outside front brake will apply to coax you back on your intended course and cancel the spin. It does this so quickly, that you may never realize that you began to skid out. This system is especially important on SUVs which are often not as stable as cars. On some SUV's, there is an added sensor to detect impending roll-overs and step in to help prevent that condition. Stability control is known by several trade names such as StabiliTrak (GM), AdvanceTrac (Ford), Vehicle Stability Control (Toyota & Lexus), Electronic Stability Program (Mercedes Benz) and Vehicle Dynamic Control (Nissan & Infiniti)"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, that's all about summer driving, or wet/greasy roads where it's great. Opinion remains divided about the effectiveness in snow, I've been playing around with it off in the Subaru and I'm not convinced it's particularly good in snow so far.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do not like electronic interference in any conditions. I would much rather have feedback about what is happening, and be able to take a driving decision. To have a piece of software intervene on my behalf, implies that it can somehow judge all the factors involved. I believe that these systems also encourage the driver to "expect" the software to pull them out of the poo-poo.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny
Time to return the compliment...
Quote:

I do not like electronic interference in any conditions. I would much rather have feedback about what is happening, and be able to take a driving decision. To have a piece of software intervene on my behalf, implies that it can somehow judge all the factors involved. I believe that these systems also encourage the driver to "expect" the software to pull them out of the poo-poo.

Exactly! Technology shouldn't be a substitute for knowing what you're doing. 4WD, fine - if you think about it, it's the natural and most sensible design (but quite complex to get right, so expensive; which is why it's not universal). But techno-fixes to cover up mistakes and ignorance? No. That just encourages risk-taking and complacency.

I learnt how to drive these things thanks to training as a development engineer with Land Rover. I left that behind over 20 years ago, but some things stuck - just like a 4WD!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy