Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra Leather Ski Cross vs Army Leather Short GTX

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all... I'm in the market for some new gloves and a couple of Hestra models have caught my eye: Leather Ski Cross and Army Leather Short GTX:

https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/ski-cross/750100/

https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/xcr-short/100020/

Aside from the worrying prospect I may have developed a leather fetish, I'd be interested to hear if anybody has had particularly good (or bad) things to say about one over the udder. Will one be better if it's fresian cold, maybe?

Actually, enough of the woeful puns, it's a genuine question (surprisingly).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the ski cross. Note they don't come with a cuff thingy, so if you take them off you need to hang on to them. Using these as well as a cuff (by buying it separately) wouldn't really work IMO, because the cuff on the glove is fairly tight and the strap wouldn't easily fit under it, you'd end up with the strap half way up your arm.

Otherwise I like them being pretty much all leather, the only thing I miss is the ability to wipe my nose with a convenient suede or material bit, if you wipe it with the leather bit it doesn't really work. They are comfortable, flexible, and seem to be indestructible.

If you want gloves for proper cold then look at the mitts, a ski buddy swears by his Hestra Army three fingers, I've just picked up some Kas & Sverre special edition three finger jobbies and looking forward to seriously cold temps in December to feel smug.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twodogs, I've had both those models but prefer the Vertical Cut Freeride.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, very useful and insightful.

MistressPanda, I do actually quite like the idea of a three finger version, come to think of it. My very first L plate gloves were of the mitt variety, albeit with individual inner fingers, for no other reason than that's what they had in Decathlon that day and I didn't know any better. Also very interesting re being able to wipe your nose. Those old Wedze mitts had a mini squeegee on the back of one thumb and a soft pad on the back of each, which all came in very useful. And every pair I've owned has at least had a bit of string/leash thingy so that I can take them off on a ski lift without dropping them.

rob@rar, that's also very interesting, thank you, especially given that you have previous with both of my suggestions. I'm off for a google on the Vertical Cut Freeride. :0)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
(I wish that Google hadn't chosen to auto-complete 'vertical cut' when I just searched images for the above, mind you...)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the Army Leather Short thinking they would be fairly thin and short but they are neither. The cuff comes up over my watch and is quite rigid as there is a wrap around strap. I expect they will eventually pack down but they are a fairly big glove really and I have only worn them a couple of times as they are very warm. The leather is very soft and comfy though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmmm... more food for thought, thanks Basil. I could do without the 'welding gauntlet' look.

I've just been looking at Black Diamond Legend and Squad, which presumably aren't named after the mediocre Kiss song:

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/legend-glove-BD801607_cfg.html

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/squad-glove-BD801582_cfg.html

They seem to tick quite a few boxes...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Hestra ski cross Mittens. Love em. Love the cuff. it did come with a caribinar type clip, but I took it off as it seemed a bit of a safety hazard.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That carabiner goes on your trousers, means you can clip the gloves off when you stop, after lunch no chance of forgetting etc. I wouldn't leave on the glove, but waistband is covered by jacket so no risk of accidental clipping on lift or anywhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the leather ski cross gloves and love them.
I'd always struggled with sweating hands, followed by freezing cold hands as the sweat became cold, but with the Hestras I seem to sweat less, despite them being toasty!

As others have mentioned, the lack of "cuff thing" is the only drawback, but the gloves themselves are miles better than any other (non Hestra) gloves I've owned.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're firmly in the Hestra camp, not least because I have sweaty hands and gloves last about a season before being too stinky to use. The models we have have removable, washable and replaceable insulation.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now then, I hadn't really considered the removal liner issue. I suppose I'm lucky in that I don't get too sweaty or stinky (for a fat bloke), but it would certainly be a bonus if I could pop the liners out and rinse them through now and then.

So, now I'm starting to formulate a spec.

- removal liners
- drawstrings just so I can pop them off for phone/boot adjustments etc
- under the cuff rather than gauntlet (my jacket has a good wrap round Velcro cuff closure)
- relatively snug fitting
- preshaped fingers for that natural gripping hands position
- leather palms
- open to traditional gloves or three finger versions

Thanks ever so much for your feedback and input everybody, I really appreciate it. Hopefully others will too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got the Kaj & Sverre Pro Ski Gloves. Very pleased with them.

https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/kaj-sverre-pro-model/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twodogs, ours are the longer gauntlet ones and although both jackets have good cuff closures, I now find it's way more efficient to have the jacket tuck in the gauntlet for easy access, etc.

Mine: https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-glove/560/

I'd note I've not felt the lack of Goretex as I've tried to stop skiing in the rain and I keep them well proofed. NTS: proof gloves at weekend.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twodogs wrote:

- removal liners
- under the cuff rather than gauntlet (my jacket has a good wrap round Velcro cuff closure)
- leather palms

Musher's suggestion of the Kaj & Sverre does most of this, in either mitten or glove.

I have just realised that my Kaj & Sverres do have a drawstring which is thinner than the normal Hestra handcuff, and when I put them on they don't interfere with the cuff of the glove. I assume the 2014/5 model have this as well.

I think you might have found your answer. Plus they are chuffing cool. Link to three finger jobbies, depending on what you choose: https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/kaj-sverre-pro-model-1/540100/ which I am just a little bit gutted are now available in orange and black, I have blue and grey ones that took me weeks to find Sad
ski holidays
I can't see myself in the Kaj & Sverre, unfortunately!! :0)

I think the sensible approach would be to find somewhere that has a good range of Hestras and the Black Diamond Legends in stock, and to go over with my jacket and try them on. Ten minutes doing that vs a week grumbling that I bought the wrong ones might be a sound investment. That reminds me, if anybody has a Windows 8.1 phone with Cortana and you ask it where the nearest Snow and Rock store is whilst you're in Cirencester, don't believe her when she says that there's one in Gloucester and then fires up the nav and directs you there. It's not there any more. Grrrrr.
snow conditions
Oh, I've lost a post, will try again.

I'm almost 50, 6ft and 110kgs. I don't think I'll get away with rocking the K&S, despite them ticking pretty much every box. :0)

That said, they have a brilliant quirkiness to them, and the blue ones would match mrs twodogs' jacket absolutely perfectly.
snow report
twodogs,

We're all about 50 wink

Mine are green & blue

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/29262/products/hestra_kaj_and_sverre_pro_ski_gloves_turquoise_off_white.aspx
latest report
Mistress Panda wrote:
twodogs wrote:

- removal liners
- leather palms

Musher's suggestion of the Kaj & Sverre does most of this, in either mitten or glove.

I have just realised that my Kaj & Sverres do have a drawstring which is thinner than the normal Hestra handcuff, and when I put them on they don't interfere with the cuff of the glove. I assume the 2014/5 model have this as well.

I think you might have found your answer. Plus they are chuffing cool. Link to three finger jobbies, depending on what you choose: https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/alpine-pro/kaj-sverre-pro-model-1/540100/ which I am just a little bit gutted are now available in orange and black, I have blue and grey ones that took me weeks to find Sad

+1, though I have the 5 finger blue/green version from a while back. Going into their 5th season of heavy use and still going strong - I don't know if they'll make it to 10, but they should certainly last another 3.
snow report
twodogs, I've used the Black Diamond Guide gloves for maybe 7 years?? Been brilliant, in everything from -20 to +20, highly recommended!

waterproof, breathable and removable liner for spring/washing etc

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/guide-glove-BD801514_cfg.html?dwvar_BD801514__cfg_color=Black#start=1
snow conditions
Another glove you might want to add to your list is the Marmot Ultimate Ski Glove.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN2180&utm_source=Product_feed&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=1&gclid=CjwKEAjw5ZKiBRDhqa-Yjcml9kYSJABia-RnkbjS9TJEuTEGODyRb0OhM3I261APhc-U2Hd8leIKzBoC1sXw_wcB

I've got a pair of these and the Hestra Army Leather Short. I find them a little less warm and a little less bulky around the fingers so I wear them much more often and only go for the Hestra gloves on really cold days. The black and tan colour scheme probably isn't to everyone's taste though.
ski holidays
I ended up going with the Black Diamond Legends in an XL, which I'm very, very happy with: the quality and fit are superb, and they don't look as big or clunky in real life as the pictures suggested. I do think they'll take a few days of wear to become supple but first impressions are very favourable indeed. Took me ages to type this, maybe I should take them off and let mrs twodogs wrap them for Xmas as intended now.
snow conditions
Love my Hestra Ski Cross gloves but I do tend to have hot hands! If it is really cold I've got some 3 finger mitts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy