Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reconnaissance report -- Jenner, Hochkönig, Grossarl, Heiligenblut

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay, we decided to take a week during our kids Fall break to scout out some areas for skiing this winter. I know the Dolomites region very well, but thinking about going to Austria instead. I've skied a number of resorts in Austria and Germany over the years--but have been looking for places not completely on the radar (at least for me). Also I have been to Jenner, but that was many years ago and wanted to see how things have changed since then.

Now keep in mind, we went while there was no snow and used the lifts for hiking trips.

So here I go:

Jenner--in a word: disappointing! Ancient lifts, doesn't look like much has changed since the time I was last here. They've overhauled snow-making facilities and there is one decent six-seat bubble lift, but overall it is in serious need of upgrades. The area is stunning with breathtaking scenery, though I find Berchtesgaden too busy and Schönau am Königsee more of a tourist trap filled with cheap souvenir shops. The lake of course is unbelievable and views from Jenner are amazing, but I do not think we'll ski there anytime soon.

Hochkönig--wow this was nice. Maria Alm and Hinterthal were the highlights. Both towns are on roads which do not directly pass through (you have to make a turn into either of them) so this is good. Hintermoos and Bachwinkl lie in between and offer additional lifts. Scenery, lifts, infrastructure are all top-notch as well as the ease of arrival coming from Saalfelden. Mühlbach and Dienten are another story. Both are more isolated, Mühlbach I wasn't particularly fond of--narrow and heavily shadowed by forests and mountains, Dienten is at least in a more sunny location but still has thru-traffic as the road goes in and out of both villages. The way from Sankt Johann im Pongau is not steep, but is a very winding road and I think would not be much fun in the winter (despite the scenery).

Grossarl--perhaps one of the most beautiful alpine valleys I've seen. The road leading out of Schwarzach im Pongau and into Grossarl is magical--like driving through a painting. The village itself is nice as well. Not sure, how much snow it gets--but checks most boxes for what you would want. The western side has the bulk of the lifts which link up to the Gastein valley. We'd definitely prefer to be on that side since it is easier to get to the lifts. Facilities were excellent and the lifts very modern. Another place we'd certainly go back to in the future.

Heiligenblut--what a pretty, chocolate-box village. Taking the Grossglockner High Alpine Road was certainly a treat for our family. A wonderful drive coming from the south to the north with the amazing scenery. The landscape at the top is stunning in a weird way with the almost moon-like landscape. We didn't spend much time in Heiligenblut, so I not sure about the quality of the lifts and infrastructure--also it is very isolated. In my opinion, it's easier coming in from Lienz then from the north. Also could be very dark at least in the early part of the ski season. I'd like that there would be no issue for lack of snow.

We also went through Lofer, we didn't like the surroundings quiet as much as Maria Alm and the village lies in a shadow-filled valley with thru-traffic--so it's likely not to be at the top of our list.

In August we were in Warth and traveled throughout the linked areas with Lech, Zurs and Schröcken. I'll write up a report on that trip at a later time.

Our next visit will be to Oberstdorf and Kleinwalsertal in a couple of weeks and will report on this as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vgunn, Grossarl is great for skiing, Maria Alm apparently as well. Thanks for posting.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello Vgunn. Was in Oberstdorf for 12 days this Sep with my wife and kids and we really loved the place.The town is very beautiful as is the whole area which is a trekkers paradise.The Kleinwalsertal valley is stunning also.
The skiing looked to be spread out over 3 seperate areas with fairly modern lifts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy