Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Just got up to find OH and his cycle disappearing into the distance. Another fine sunny morning.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plan went ahead all be it with a red wine head wink

Team at the Izoard

Once at the top took them down to Casse Deserte

Then back to the Refuge Napoleon where the OH had run up to with Les Chiens who were warmly greeted by the lady proprietor who always makes a fuss of them be it winter or summer. Was the busiest I've ever seen it up at the Col and the Refuge was expecting a very busy lunchtime with many a table reserved.

The hot sunny Sunday weather getting everyone out, so different to last year!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Might not be the right place for this ( but the method in my madness is that many peeps with SC knowledge will be watching this thread )........ Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge about the Equity / RocketSki ClubHotel Olympic property in Serre Chevalier ? I'm after any reports, location, gossip wink etc etc

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timberwolf, it is right in the middle of Chantemerle with in spitting distance of lifts and pistes, so in a great location I don't have any specific info about the hotel itself though. I would probably be wanting to know if there are school groups in there at the same time though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant, thanks @Hells Bells,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I stayed there in March, pretty basic hotel, excellent food tho & close enough to the lifts. I had a few problems with their ski equipment which they were slow in resolving but apart from that was happy enough with the stay. Apparently there was a school party staying there but you wouldn't have known so no problems on that front. I would definitely use the hotel again if I were to return to serre chevalier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not the best of starts to the day yesterday, went down to the van to get my road bike and it was not there, stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut a long story short, friends turned up after me mid afternoon, some of their kit was still in my van below, I unlocked the van, and then it was probably not locked, and some scum bag got a lucky strike! Totally frustrating as we hardly have anyone up here, though last week there was one lot of renters, but think they went Sat.

So spent an hour in the Gendarmarie, they said so many bikes get stolen in the winter. I am fortunately insured with the bike as a specified item so another couple of hours on the phone late afternoon after I took my mates up Galibier on my other bike !

After the Gendarmaries on the way back I'd arranged rental for this coming Sunday for the Etape du Tour of a rather nice Canondale Synapse (Bike of the year 2014) and then later on coming back down from Galibier stopping off in Monetier Paul at the L'Alpen has kindly offered me the use of a road bike for the rest of my stay.

Today have sent my mates up the Granon to do the circuit down to Val Clarre I did a couple of days ago as they have full on MTB's so I'll only slow them down on the descent, and I'm now having time off the bike in advance of Sunday, and the beers and wine as well me thinks rolling eyes

Quite pleased with the photos I took of them going down from Galibier with the glacier in the background etc

Cracking fireworks we could see from here up in Monetier last night, though looked like many a car had driven up there judging by the amount of traffic coming back down the valley afterwards.

Not too sure about what to do tonight
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, booger about the bike. Barstewards, Sad . There was an awful lot of traffic up in Monetier last night and the fireworks were cracking, although we didn't bother going over to watch. View was a bit restricted from the terrace by the chalet just to our right.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very sorry to hear about the bike, @Weathercam. Someone must have been watching - horrible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ironic in how we had a good view down here, some of them must have been huge as they certainly seemed big from here!

Out turn for the fire works tonight.

Does leave a nasty taste in your mouth as to who it could be etc that nicked the bike as we do think that some one must have been watching, though as I've been told before, people do go around parkings in the hope of good score from an opportunist theft.

And there was some relief in that I thought they'd also nicked the dog's passports and that would have been a major headache, but I found them in the house an hour later!!

And the circus is in town - you wouldn't see this back in the UK (there were actually four of them) and they were driving around the village with the males in tow in another truck - and then there's the fireworks tonight!!

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Llama in the last pic looks like it's got the hump..........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure what's worse, bike thieves or people who run the circus? Bike loss is a pain but can be replaced
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really bad luck, very sorry to hear this. To be honest if I leave my bike in the car I lock it with a very good security lock. A non department registered van will attract thieves like bees to honey.

Round here you cannot leave a stick in a car if you park in any of the mountain car parks (Chartreuse, Belledonne). Ok Grenoble you'd expect to find your car burned out when you return. That's no consolation but a warning to others not to leave anything in your car/van/troop transporter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, and 90% of the time I've been taking my bike out of the van because of the intense heat and did not want to blow a tyre off the rim.

Insurance conversations "seem" to be going well, and they will be replacing old for new, but not via a cheque but by sourcing the equivalent bike, which should be interesting, but this is not the thread to get all bike geeky !!

Mates had a great ride over the Granon and they found their way via the route file I downloaded for them. Then we met up in the Vielle Ecurie in La Vachette for some very good food, then on to show them the "old town" and now they are en route back here sampling some more bars on the way..................
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, and 90% of the time I've been taking my bike out of the van because of the intense heat and did not want to blow a tyre off the rim.

Another thing Happy

I always deflate my tires when sticking the bike in the car. You don't want a tire blowing when you are driving down the autoroute at speed.

Glad the insurers are sorting the bike. Hope they don't read snowheads about you not locking the van!
ski holidays
@davidof, I've been clear / clean with them, I thought my mates had locked it and they thought I had, so a genuine accident, which is a little embarrassing for my mates etc etc

I also let the air out of the tyres, and the one thing they didn't nick was my nice track pump which was in the van too.

Feckin warm today, again, temps still above 30 (in the shade) at 19:30 !!

See Sunday now has thunderstorms all day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
We're in Orelle from Saturday for a week, so been monitoring this thread. Might need to find wet weather things to do on Sunday (bar watching the Tour perhaps!).

Crapper about the bike @Weathercam, we have a van, hoping that the balcony/apartment is big enough to be able to have our 3 bikes inside so we don't need to leave them in the van. We stayed in Paris last summer for 4 days on our way to a riding holiday, but the van didn't move throughout the whole time and I reversed to within centimetres of a wall for security.
snow report
Has that mountainside fallen into the lake yet?
snow conditions
Nope, still sleeping............
snow conditions
How about this photo taken in 1967 - where we are is roughly above the two storey section of the Sporting Hotel

As for today trying to rest the legs in advance of the weekend so we took to the lifts.

This is atop the Serre téléphérique that they use in the summer.

I went off with my mates whilst Elaine held on to the dogs and was going to run down with them. I had to stop to lower my saddle and just as I did that I had Beanie next to me who had extracted herself from her harness and had chased down after me. So I told my mates to go on and do their thing as they were so much faster on their full on MTB's and I ended up cycling down with the rando chiens and Elaine, and was more akin to when we ski down with them at times.

After lunch bumped into KenX and Lyn (plus dogs) up at Serre Ratier.

In the photo below look who's between / behind my legs Smile

And weather is not looking good for the big ride this Sunday Sad

L'Étape du Tour 2015: Saint-Jean de Maurienne > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles

Though not too sure what I'd prefer, wet roads on the descent or temps in the mid 30's Puzzled

https://www.strava.com/clubs/145034/group_events/59443
snow report
@Weathercam, Think I saw the guy on the left on the blue DH run after we left you, I carried on for a few more, then traversed across and did the Melezine run down to Villeneuve where I met Lynn & dogs in Le Frog for a sneaky rehydrate!
Good to meet Elaine too Very Happy
latest report
So hot today. A car problem meant we've been hanging around for most of the day, with the car off on a breakdown truck to Gap this afternoon. Loss of power and engine malfunction light on . Will hopefully know more in the morning.
snow report
@Hells Bells, feel for you on that! Were you up this way or down in Gap as not too sure from your post.
Couple of years ago I was stuck up in Claviere in the van and that was a bit of a mare explaining that a break down truck from Briancon was better than Susa!
snow report
@Weathercam,

enjoying the pics. We're heading out to Les Contamines a week on Friday for 3 weeks. First summer holiday in the Alps for, oh, 25 years. Been ordering a ridiculous quantity of walking and climbing guide books. Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, we were here, but the nearest Nissan dealers is in Gap, and as the car is under warranty it has to be looked at there. They've not really had time to look at it yet. Supposed to be leaving here Sat am and have to be back at work on Monday morning.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, If you guys need a lift back to Gap just let me know, hopefully it'll be fixed asap Confused
And if you need to vacate your apartment, we've got plenty of space here!
snow report
@KenX, sorted with a lift to Gap thanks (the train is not reliable), and apartment vacant until Tuesday, but hopefully won't need to stay too long.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Took the team over to one of my favourite places, St Veran and was perfect.

We always joke about it being Walk Disney chocolate box perfection and even the hike was glorious and the marmotte count was in the 20's with the dogs having a great time Cool

Sussed some nice routes down off the lifts as I always wondered if they were possible, and now I know where you'd end up and how to get back!

Also got the ok from the proprietor in that the dogs are welcome so we can stay over and do a couple of days there in the winter.

The actual village was very busy with tourists who'd just driven up there to walk around the place but I've never seen so many cafes, shops open.

Tis well worth a visit from Serre (drive over Izoard going there, and then back, go via Guillestre and the amazing Gorge)

latest report
The Summer lottery of thunderstorms has started, as I was explaining to my mates a few days ago how the storms can be very localised.

Nevache / Val de Claree last night saw a massive storm http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/07/17/nevache-orage-de-grele-dans-la-vallee-de-la-claree

We were over in the Maurienne yesterday at La Tousierre where the Etape registration was and down in the valley was just so hot. Unfortunately four years ago I rode, and DNF the Etape when it went up from the valley and finished in La Tousierre and the final part of the stage is the same tomorrow, so I'm going to be wrestling a few demons going on in my head.

On the way back stopped off in La Grave and got up to speed on the tunnel politics, so far this summer lift is 66% down - and there was meant to be a "meeting" yesterday as to how they might disrupt the last mountain stage of the TDF at ADH (the one that was due to go through LG) in a typically French protest way which has often happened over the years in the Tour so as to draw attention to the situation.

Though the joke was that calling a meeting is not exactly the best way to mount a clandestine operation rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hope the ride goes well. We arrived in Orelle to a torrential down pour and thunder/lightening overhead. Yet the number of people unloading their cars with umbrellas up was quite startling!

We're heading to St Jean DM this morning so will hopefully catch some of the Etape riders in action. If you hear the sound of cow bells it might be us!
latest report
Hope the Etape goes well for you Gavin! We're going into town to watch the Urban Downhill racers jumping off the ramparts and down staircases, ending with a massive jump over a pistebasher which they've brought in at the finish line!
snow conditions
^ this sounds interesting. Please post pics if you get any, @KenX Very Happy
snow conditions
Some pics from today:
Started up in the old town of Briancon in the moats surrounding the ramparts, first off this monster 11m jump, you needed to be going 55kmh to clear it!:

Some brave soul:

Then off the edge, 3m jump onto a ramp, bunny run for the less fearless off to the left, slower though:

Down some stairs:

And to finish, an 8m jump over this:

Spectacular day out, can't wait for next year!
ski holidays
@KenX, looks brilliant, wish I'd been there to see it all .
latest report
@Hells Bells, Made it home without any dramas then?
ski holidays
Getting to old for this shite - crucified again with the heat on the final 10km on the last climb, but made it this time, but many a MAMIL was probably swept up by the broom wagon.

Saw various incidents on the mountain as people had taken bad falls on the descents and then on the last climb people being attended to collapsing with heat stroke etc

I ended up nigh on 12 hrs on and off the bike with 10hrs moving time, some 160km and close to 5,000m vertical.

Not helped by leaving here at 04:30 and then having to wait of for my mates at the end for a couple of hours, in the end I took the Frejus as it was 20:45 and thunder storms were kicking off plus I was still getting cramps and spasms in my legs, so Galibier was not a sensible option.

@KenX, think next year I'll come and watch the Down Hilling

So on to the subject of the Season Pass for Next Season

Would see that there are various versions depending on what you want and when you buy it.

Worst thing is that there is no longer any Via Lattea.

I'm going to sit down and try and work what's best for us - and be sure I can still get the four payments again if purchased before end August to get the max 30 % discount - so I'll probably go and have another chat at the lift office.
snow report
Back to the landslide. The geologists are suggesting next week as the movements have accelerated again. The alternative route on the left bank of the reservoir is still on track to open before the winter - I don't know what work has been done though. Suggestions that the new tunnel will take 5 years to build and open.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, bOOger that there is no Via Lattea at all, esp as there is also no access to some of the other resorts at the moment.
ski holidays
Thinking about it, we've hardly used any of the extras last season and only used the summer pass on 2 days, so it might be better to go for the reduced price option. HUGE increase for the extra resorts though, and as you say no Via Lattea.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy