Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does skiing backwards look impressive?

Poster: A snowHead
MartinH,

That's just a little bit faceitous.

mark_s,

Your eyes face forward.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flicksta, so where do you learn how to ski switch so that you can ski in to, or out of, a jump / cliff / rail if you don't have a go on the piste first?

I know there are lots of people that won't be doing any jumping / cliffs / rails. But why stop them from having fun? You might as well be advocating that people try fat skis. Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor,

True, but the thread is title 'Does skiing backwards look impressive'. No, not to me, I think you look like a dick and that it is pointless. I can do it, and simply don't bother, it has no value to me. Clearly this is simply my opinion and as you in particular know, people often get criticised for expressing opinions on here. However, the thread is clearly seeking opinions, which I have offered.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flicksta, easy! I actually agree with you, sort of. Real switch carving is very impressive, how ever you look at it.

You must be aware that I think everyone is welcome to their own opinion as long as they are correct. Wink

I'd actually really like your opinion, given your original opnion, on what I said^:

Quote:
So where do you learn how to ski switch so that you can ski in to, or out of, a jump / cliff / rail if you don't have a go on the piste first?

I know loads of UK skiers aren't skiing like this. Just wanted to know if I'm a male genitalia because I ski backwards, sometimes, one, because I like the feeling - it feels like you're going very fast. Two, because I can ski better than some (ie a few punters, clearly not better than any snowHead) skiers backwards than they can forwards. Three, it's the only time I see my rooster tails and four, I need to be able to make sure that I'm skiing well backwards to perfect my technique for when jibbing. Which is as you said the only time that you can see any point in it. Hey Ho. You said it, not me. NehNeh Twisted Evil Very Happy

IMO skiing switch is a very good training technique as it makes you focus on your weight distribution and transfer. However I have NO qualifications or experince (Wink) in teaching skiing...

Oh and with regard to the original title thread, sorry Snowmuncher, but use some discretion Flicksta old boy, this thread was started by groms. The little fellas think it looks great, leave em too it. They even consider a 360 to be making a rotation on the snow. We know this isn't true but didn't you mention that.

Oh and I just downloaded Weems free book thing, he says:

Quote:
Riding switch makes your pants get lower!

Which for me makes my argument here void. Low pants suck. Especially if you wear a studded belt. This is my humble opinion. Twisted Evil

That is all. Twisted Evil

(edit: please excuse the typos, lunch ales on a friday...)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
They even consider a 360 to be making a rotation on the snow.

If you're referring to me, I should comment that that 'description' was quoted from a teacher (with probably about 20 years of skiing behind him) while talking to a bunch of schoolkids - if you want technical descriptions, do an AS-level in skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor,

No need for easy, just making a point. Tone always goes to pot on the internet. I'm landing in Verbier for my first visit on 7th Jan, a mate has just set up a chalet business there, heading over from 10 days in Cham.

I have to say though I find the whole training technique thing a bit overdone. Not in your case, since I can't comment, but it does seem that a number of people are focused on drills and training, when just freeriding does it for me. Sure, I get lessons from buddies every time I ski, I still have lots to learn!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flicksta, I too am not one for training drills - if it hurts change it is my motto! Send me a PM when you're there, we'll go for a beer.

mark_s, I just can't win with you can I? rolling eyes I'm either being too agressive and disturbing you with my random comments or when I try to defend switch skiing as being cool I still upset you. It's not my fault that I'm a premature old git, when I was younger doing a 360 was called a heli, now it's called a 3. Technically it is a 360, you have gone 360*. Or not? To me a 360 is an arial trick where you rotate 360* on a single axis and not waving around on the piste. Either way, best of luck with learning it, one day I'm sure you'll be doing huge 3's in the park as well as those on the piste. My comments that you were so keen to highlight were pointed at Flicksta, he was correctly pointing out the thread heading, I was just reminding him that it shouldn't be taken too seriously as there were lots of groms around...

I think an AS level sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I should try some GCSEs first huh? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, that wasn't meant as a dig. I was just saying that if you were referring to my comments, then it wasn't me who called it a 360 NehNeh
I haven't had a great day (I feel very ill, and combined with 6th form, that isn't a great feeling). Sorry if I seemed a bit snappy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor,

Rising to fairly weak bait is one of my strong points. For info, I have 87mm underfoot on my Movement Thunders, but I want more!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flicksta, Well I'd rather learn how to do it on a gentle piste before I attempt switch in the park.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa,

That's entirely fair enough, but I am missing your point. The thread is entitled 'does skiing backwards look impressive', not 'does skiing backwards prepare me for switch approaches to jumps/drop-offs'. In my opinion, skiing is something I do to enjoy myself. If I ski well, I really do not care if I look impressive to others, because 'well' to me is defined as skiing technically proficeintly. As parlor pointed out, being a 'mature' person, i.e. 33, I probably feel differently to the person asking the question.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flicksta, Taken on board - but you did ask <What's the point? You don't see people running backwards in the street, because it is pointless.> I was answering you rather than the poster of the thread. I don't think that anyone would find my wobbly attempts impressive to watch Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flicksta, mmMmmmMMmm nice ski, what length have you got? That's the sort of 87mm that just feels like it's lots more.

Quote:
Rising to fairly weak bait is one of my strong points.

me too... Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last Tues/Weds there we saw a telemarker basically Super-Ging down Solaise (in Val d'I) backwards - in perfect control of course. I have to say it was VERY impressive - like we all looked at each other to check we'd seen what we'd just seen.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor,

the 175mm, got them in the Summer then took them out to Las Lenas for just over two weeks. Super off-piste, bit ropey on the hardpack, although that was also a technique problem!
snow report
flicksta, it'll come, picture downhill racer... I've got some really good drills for you to try when you're in Verbier... Twisted Evil Wink Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Nice to see so many opinions Smile
Some people do take skiing seriously don't they! Well I'll still be having a go this year, despite also being a "mature" person of 33. Looking at Zermatt on Jan 21st, so keep an eye out for a smiling goon.
ski holidays
I think skiing backwards is OK. I think skiing on one leg is much harder though and I can only do it on the right slope. What I do think was very cool was when I say a guy spin around on the glacier drags (at LDA) to go up backwards. Great control and confidence. Thought about it but never tried it . . . yet.
snow report
You know, you're gonna be responsible for a lot of snowHead's falling off draglifts this season now wink
snow report
mark_s,

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. Every time I see a drag lift THIS SEASON, I'm going to be laughing my head off Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil thinking that somewhere, someone has fallen off a drag lift because of me. And the people behind them will be ever so impressed.

Oops, why did I go all upper case mid-sentence. Would of been quicker to go an correct but too late now.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-01-06 0:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
NickW, I'm still undecided as to whether I'll personally take up your challenge, but I'm sure there are a few who are made up about it NehNeh
ski holidays
I tried going backwards up a drag lift once...

I've only ever fallen off a drag lift once...

The two events are directly connected.
snow report
Watched someone telemark backwards at Tignes last week. Now that did look impressive.
snow report
Yes it does and more importantly, some people may find it FUN.
ski holidays
Are the bindings on twin tips any different, and, if not, if you hit something when going backwards would the bindings release in the same way? I know your knees would ben on impact but something's gotta give.
snow report
Big problem with bindings is the brakes on fakie landings. If the binding releases, the brakes are facing right into the snow, and get bent right back, or break. Sometimes they will get wrenched totally away from the binding often bending the part of the binding unit holding the brake in place.
snow conditions
A girl I skied with last year did loads of 360s & skiing backwards as she was soooo fast she had to do something while she was waiting for us to catch up. We all got into trying it - with varied rates of success. Great fun. Just good to be messing around & learning what you can (and can't) do on the snow. Mine certainly weren't very elegant...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy