Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does skiing backwards look impressive?

Poster: A snowHead
What do you think? When someone spins in a 360 just in front of you do you think wow! good skier or wow I hope you fall off a cliff???? Puzzled

p.s I'm the show off doing the 360 Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I do a 360, bystanders can usually tell that it was far from intentional. The give-away is that i normally finish with a nose-plant.

Don't know what people say, but i believe I overheard the word 'Gonk!' at least once rolling eyes

Welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers!
It started on Sestriere when the snow was poor - doing the same runs over and over again was dull so we started mucking about. Really good fun though. Most of them are intentional these days. Nightmare if it goes wrong though - I can feel everyone on the slope pointing and choruses of "serves him right"
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowmuncher, welcome to snowheads. I do it every so often, a good mental challenge as everything is in reverse.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowmuncher wrote:
What do you think? When someone spins in a 360 just in front of you do you think wow! good skier or wow I hope you fall off a cliff???? Puzzled

p.s I'm the show off doing the 360 Toofy Grin

NO, but my mate can do this down entire runs, which is cool. He calls it "ski boarding",

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He does however do stuff like this, and looks an idiot.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looks like ski ballet throw back stuff to me

360 in the air or on the snow?

if you are popping a 360 spin you arent going backwards, that is unless you went in backwards
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kruked wrote:
looks like ski ballet throw back stuff to me

trust me he does it all at near GS speeds, so its not old-skool ballet
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The second picture looks like a Royale Christie (I think that's what they call it).

I enjoy going backwards on my twins, only to see the rooster tails they throw up...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
60mph in charlie chaplin stance? does he ski like that because the FIS world circuit is no longer a challenge?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I go backwards quite a bit, while helping beginners, trying to find my friends, bored on linking runs etc - it's a useful skill no reason people should think you a showoff, everyone in my group who's been skiing more than 4 or 5 weeks can do it?
aj xx
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually, now I think about it, if you did it right in front of me I'd probably think 'jesus christ I wasn't expecting that' and concentrate on not running into you on your way out of the turn Happy Then I would indeed hope you fell over for picking such a stupid place to pull stunts...It's like the 'snow spray the queue manouver' - much funnier when it goes wrong Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kruked wrote:
60mph in charlie chaplin stance? does he ski like that because the FIS world circuit is no longer a challenge?

Would you believe the raf are training him to be a pilot................
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulhothersall, So he is heading backwards at 60mph towards a piece of rope with 1 leg up in the air. What happened next Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
paulhothersall, So he is heading backwards at 60mph towards a piece of rope with 1 leg up in the air. What happened next Toofy Grin

picture 2 was forward motion so he saw the rope line and the drop off. I have seen him do stuff like that backwards though.

He got in big trouble on the APC course for doing stuff like that whilst he was supposed to be "free skiing"
snow report
paulhothersall, What really pithess me of is that he is looking into the camera on both shots !!! Very Happy
snow report
I have a slight problem, in that I can't ski backwards at all - a few instructors/teachers have made me try 360s (with the teachers usually armed with video cameras), and I fall near enough every single time. Probably due to the fact that I never seen a need to ski backwards, and I never quite caught onto the snowplough in reverse Smile
(I intend on trying it a bit more in April though Smile )
snow report
mark_s, to spin get up a bit of speed and just rotate your body, imagine you are a shot put thrower, but pick somewhere the run is hard as too much snow can make you topple over. Easy Razz
ski holidays
Peter Ross, it wasn't so much spin as 'do a snowplough turn 180, ski a bit, and do it again'. Although, your method sounds infinitely easier and more entertaining. I'll have to try that one instead Wink
latest report
I have to push on a pole to get me spinning - very slow speed though hehehe
ski holidays
Quote:

What do you think? When someone spins in a 360 just in front of you do you think wow! good skier or wow I hope you fall off a cliff????

Depends on the axis of rotation. If it's horizontal (whether transverse or in the direction of travel), they land it and they're still keeping up with me, I'd worship at the altar of their smelliest footbeds.

If it's vertical I'd hurl abuse at them (usually one of my mates) for getting in my way with yet another inane and blatantly attention seeking stunt. wink
ski holidays
paulhothersall wrote:
Would you believe the raf are training him to be a pilot................

Is he expecting to fly backwards as well? Shocked
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
Depends on the axis of rotation. ...
If it's vertical I'd hurl abuse at them (usually one of my mates)

Perhaps you can challenge your mate to do a vertical 180? snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

I have a slight problem, in that I can't ski backwards at all - a few instructors/teachers have made me try 360s (with the teachers usually armed with video cameras), and I fall near enough every single time. Probably due to the fact that I never seen a need to ski backwards, and I never quite caught onto the snowplough in reverse
(I intend on trying it a bit more in April though )

The way I sussed it was to do a normal parallel stop then carry on through with your heel. Easier on a decent slope Toofy Grin
latest report
A spin doesnt impress me, I can do one, so it isnt difficult! I do find it more impressive to see someone carving backwards.... I have tried this over and over and sadly must admit that I mostly end up confusing things and pointing back down the hill again
snow report
Keep at it, the hardest thing i found was that it all feels twice as fast as it really is going backwards, once you get over that its all downhill from there

At first i thought it was a 360 jump from flat that we were talking about, thats impressive with no kicker. 360 on snow is easy, i can spin til im sick, think it was a 2160 if my maths is right
ski holidays
You see a few people reverse snowplughing, switch carving is hard. But amazing. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
It isnt the speed that gets me..... it is the need to do everything backwards, i always end up trying to make a turn as if i was going forwards, which inevitably end up bringing you to a hault!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I might have a decent attempt at making a fool of myself trying on 23rd - should be going to XScape Smile

On a slightly linked topic, does anyone think that the XScape freestyle lesosns are worth it? I'm vaguely interested in learning about freestyle, but it's quite far away to go for 1.5 hours of skiing, especially at night Shocked
snow report
can you switch carve without twin tips or do the tails dig?
guess I could find out but why not learn from others mistakes rather than your own!
snow conditions
B2's have an upturned tail - not a twin tip but goes backwards ok.
ski holidays
Agreed. Switch on the mildly upturned B2 tails is no problem for me - at MK. Might be more of a problem for me in deeper stuff, I'd guess.
snow report
buns, or maybe on the floor...once you start turning in the opposite direction to what you expected, and fall over from shock... rolling eyes
snow report
Snowmuncher, Welcome to snowheads, i think skiing backwards looks class if you know what you are doing - otherwise dangerous. I am always wary of those skiing out of control forwards never mind backwards. Smile
ski holidays
It's only my opinion but if you ski backwards, you look like a lady's front bottom. What's the point? You don't see people running backwards in the street, because it is pointless.

The only question is whether you care about looking a lady's front bottom.

No offence intended, it just seems futile. Riding switch off a jump or in the pipe I get, but on the piste?
ski holidays
You dont see too many people driving through bumpy fields in their cars..... yet plenty of people love to play in moguls....
ski holidays
flicksta, you could argue that any skiing on a piste is futile. You just go up and down, get pushed through stiles like cattle, get ripped off by operators, don't really achieve anything at all. What does it matter which way your skis are pointing?
snowHead
latest report
if skiing backwards was the norm, then you'd be wondering what the point in skiing forwards was...
ski holidays
Would you believe, there are some who think sideways is the way to go! Shocked snowHead
latest report
MartinH, quite possibly, down an evil mogul field - squaring them off as you go for the next day of skiers to cope with Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy