Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt or Lech?? Advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
cant remember the shop but you had to be waited on - you couldn't just pick up your things and pay as all items were 'dummy display only' and didnt show a price...never mind!
Must have been special plasters - or saw me coming!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aron916 wrote:
Having been to both I would suggest lech - its a very pretty village and easily accessible - slopes are also accessible, and great snow this year.
What i found in Zermatt was that it could take up to an hour to get to the the highest lift. Its also very expensive, not that Lech is cheap but your not paying Swiss prices (i think i paid around £10 for a pack of plasters in Zermatt Sad)
The main perk of Zermatt for me was being able to ski into Italy for lunch and also the great scenery.
Although this is Lech this year after a good 2 day dump of snow - Stunning:

Zermatt is a great place to ski and i can tick it off the list but i wont be rushing back where I have just booked to go back to Lech.

I've been to many ski areas from Canada, USA West Coast, Chile, Argentina, France, Switz, and Austria, and I can say without doubt, that every single one of those ski resorts looked stunning after a 2 day dump! Smile

Just wonder where the OP ended up deciding on going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Toadman wrote:
I've been to many ski areas from Canada, USA West Coast, Chile, Argentina, France, Switz, and Austria, and I can say without doubt, that every single one of those ski resorts looked stunning after a 2 day dump! Smile

Never been to La Plagne then?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SPACELEGGO...................

I'm thinking of you and your family in Australia AFTER your trip. It's all about making memories. That's it. Making memories. Europe - the Alps alone - are teaming with dozens upon dozens of phenomenal ski locations as anyone who has experienced same upon this board will readily attest. Many of experience have their favorites such as myself. It's not just the skiing as again many will attest. It's the entire place, in toto............ You could go many places within the Alps and have as anyone would acknowledge a fantastic time amidst extraordinary beauty. But here IS the deal..................... Inasmuch as many lovely places abound - and they v. much do, in my objective opinion if I could place anyone who skis and enjoys other winter activities and the mountains, etc. in the Alps for the very first time, I would hands down suggest one place and one place only............ Zermatt. Period.

Assuming you'll be landing in Zurich, the travel time to either location is is effectively equal with easier convey ultimately going to Zermatt. As you might already be well aware Zermatt is devoid of cars which adds it own additional charm of a pure walking venue, the village is fully contained. It's all 100% right there. Most of the skiing - on four separate mountains, in addition to being able to if one wants go over into Italy - Cevinia, is relatively mild, easy skiing, principally Gornergrat-Riffelberg and the top meadows as it were of Klein Matterhorn, Trockener Steg and Garten which would fully accomodate your children for starters. You can select ticket for either one or more of Zermatt's four individual stations depending upon what you would like in a given day. The scenery, the scapes are off the Richter Scale, beginning and ending with the Matterhorn which, face it, pretty much singularly denotes Switzerland in one single image. As anyone who has been to Zermat will openly attest, to be anywhere on any of its various slopes, or to be down below in the village is visually off the charts. I believe you employed the word 'unrivaled'. How correct you are...

No matter what you decide you cannot go wrong. You could choose fifty other locations and be spellbound. But I again come back in my mind's eye to you and your family being back in Australia after your trip visualizing your being in Zermatt and as I said at the outset, if I could choose one location and one location only for a first time Alps venue knowing what I know and I lived in Switzerland for nine years and have extensively been throughout much of the Alps, it's not even a contest............ Zermatt. Period.

If "Sack's" photos do not convince you I do not know what will................
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ernie wrote:
@aron916, a pack of plasters in the Coop in Zermatt was CHF 2.70 (£2ish) last week so not sure where yours were from?!

Yeah fair point, although some places are much more picturesque than others, especially after a good dump
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech is lovely and very convenient. Lifts instead of stairs at the cable car stations etc. It really is set out as a place where you don't have to get our of your comfort zone and feel as though the place is designed with a very well heeled clientel in mind.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my opinion, if this is a rare opportunity ie you aren't planning to fly to Europe every year to ski then I would recommend Zermatt for the views, experience etc. if you think you may be a frequent visitor and therefore there isn't the 'one in a lifetime' type trip then I'd choose Lech. I think between Lech and Zermatt you can't make a bad choice. I'm going back to Zermatt late season for my tenth trip, not skied so frequently in any other resort maybe says something for its continuing appeal (and my skiing has changed a lot over those times!). Whichever you choose hope you and your family have a great trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Zermatt
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It really is a subjective choice, but one in which you can't really choose the wrong one, unless the snow conditions are miserable at one of them. Which generally not the case.

Lech/Zuers/Zug/Stuben

Lunch Time in Lech

Zermatt

Lunch Time in Zermatt

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I travel from Sydney usually each year and keep going to different places. It is a long way to go and expensive trip. I've been to Zermatt before and it is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever been too. The Matterhorn looks so majestic when you see it right in front of you. It feels so close that you can nearly touch it but it is absolutely massive. I stayed at the Youth Hostel which is children friendly and includes breakfast and dinner and very affordable. Skiing into Italy is also very cool. The thought of skiing between countries is a fun experience for any Australian! Go to Italy for the day and enjoy a nice Italian lunch and a beer or two.

This year, I have chose to go to St Anton (near Lech) but as others have said, I would go back again in a heart beat if I went more often. Next year, I'll be doing a different resort than Zermatt and St Anton or any other resort I have been to.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy