Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria 13th Dec - Which resort please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mistress Panda wrote:
I think the difficulty is when blanket statements are made, that say "Austria is like this" or "France is expensive" etc - that leads to me going to St Anton in December and discovering that most of the town is completely empty and closed.

Mistress Panda,
You can't judge one country by one resort at one time of the year. I also advise against St Anton in December (see this thread)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2583267&highlight=anton#2583267.

Mistress Panda wrote:
The OP wants advice for 13th Dec. My advice is to go for high altitude resorts that will have been open for a couple of weeks by then. If Austria has that, then great. One thing I know is that the high altitude French resorts are popular at that time of year, me included.

My advice too that's why I advise people to go to places such as Obergurgl, Obertauern, Sölden, Hintertux and Kaprun. Would be generally interested to know how the apres ski in tignes compares to Obergurgl and Obertauern in Dez - anybody been to both at that time of year?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Tatman's Tours - have we met? If not why not? Shall we?

Ange

No, don't know, and it would a pleasure. We'll be in Saalbach from 15th Dec, but we usually stay local as we don't take the car with us (at least not in winter). However, if you're thinking of coming in our direction, get in touch.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Saalbach Hinterglemn in December and it was fantastic; equally I've been to Soll and Kirchberg in January and its been rubbish.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way…..thanks for all your help. Am going to hold off booking anything until there is a better idea of where the best snow is. Thanks again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton ain't that expensive particularly compared to France. You can stay in a B&B/Pension, there are absolutely loads of them to book on line and you can do it cheap enough. The problem with St Anton that time of year is there is no guarantee of snow, we have been a few times in December but also had to cancel due to lack of snow at that time. Often when there is no snow at St Anton we have ended up at Ischgl in mid December where the early snow is often better. Never been to Obertauern in December but have been in April when conditions were excellent. Runs in Obertauern are a bit short for me. Solden is an option but it takes a long time to get up to the glacier where snow that time of year is guaranteed. If you want absolute guarantee of snow then look at Stubai or Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn). We stayed in Neustift for Stubai and it is pretty quiet and at least half an hour on the bus to the glacier. Friends of ours have stayed in Lanersbach that time of year and skied the Hintertux glacier which they recommend.

An observation, what is it with this site that when people ask for resorts in Austria they get recommended the same old resorts in France, mainly British visitors, very expensive and in the main (for me anyway) not good nightlife, just a thought!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can recomend Mayerhoffen, really nce place, but you have to live in center or close to that. There are a lot of places where to ski, and very good places for children as well. I have been there 3 times, I really liked!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy