Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mayrhofen accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Having decided to give Mayrhofen a go this year, we have now started looking at accommodation. I have used the forum search without much success, most of the posts relate to package holidays. We are looking for a reasonably priced (c.€50pn) b&b/hotel/garni, not sure whether we want to be closer to the penkerbahn or train station or somewhere in between. We plan to spend a few days skiing the other resorts along the valley. I have found a few suitable garni hotels through the Mayrhofen website but it is always feel safer getting the opinion of a few snowheads.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
been to "the hof" 3 times now and have just booked up again for a march trip next year. the village isn't huge, its walkable everywhere. Location is really up to what you want out of your holiday.

The Penken is on the main street near the top and it can get pretty loud up there at night due to all the bars near it, not uncommon for guests in the Strass to request a move of room due to noise. But it does mean you can get to the lift quick to try and beat the morning Q.

Down by the train station is a bit of a walk if you intend on using the Penken or Ahorn daily but is a good location if your going to explore Zell or Fugen etc as its less of a walk at the end of the day.

needless to say the further from the Penken the cheaper. Places over at the Ahorn are generally cheaper swell but the walk to the Penken is less than 5 mins crossing the bridge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in the Hotel Kristall. Decent price, nice hotel - and no problems with street noise. 10 mins walk to Penkenbahn but the free bus stops right outside.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608662-d500853-Reviews-Kristall_Hotel_Mayrhofen-Mayrhofen_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at http://www.hotel-siegelerhof.at/index.php/en/ good for station and ski bus outside for penken and just down the road for horberg. They can sort an evening meal option in hotel next door as well. Nice people
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nevergreenterrace, I've stayed several times at the Garni Obermair, which is a B&B near the train station end of town (makes it convenient if you want to take the train down to other areas in the valley like Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach, or the bus to Finkenberg and Hintertux also goes from the train station). To get to the Penken or Ahorn lifts in Mayrhofen there's a ski bus stop just a few yards from the Obermair.

The Garni Obermair does an excellent buffet breakfast, and unusually for a B&B also has a small indoor swimming pool. It looks like their own old website is temporarily? down, and although they are listed on booking.com it looks like most weeks in Jan/Feb they are fully booked. This may be because they are are also used by tour operators who have a block booking with them, I know that Crystal use them and a quick check on the Crystal website shows availability, so if you are happy going with a tour operator you could do that. Alternatively if you already have flights arranged you could see if Crystal will do accommodation only, or you could try contacting the Garni Obermair direct - their phone number is +43 5285 62454.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Use booking.com as it shows you a map of the available accommodation, I would advise to stay as close to the Penken lift as possible. We have stayed in the Hof ~ 20 times, generally always within 7 mis walk of the Penken.

The Garni Obermair is OK as a summer location but a pain in the feet for winter, why pick somewhere that you have to get a bus to when there are lots of places within a short walk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anywhere between Ahornbahn and Penkenbahn works pretty well as it's not much of a walk. If you're going to go to the Zell am Ziller or Zillertal Arena a lot then near the station could work, but our group (ability range from beginner to ex-instructor) found we much preferred the Hintertux Glacier for a day or two away than going to the other parts of the Ziller Valley. We were also surprised at how much we enjoyed Ahorn and Eggalm/Rastkogel, rather than sticking more to Penken.

Given that I'd suggest considering somewhere close to the ski bus stop that goes down the valley, as getting to Hintertux and Eggalm/Rastkogel early helped a lot in getting the best conditions. Plus afternoon skiing/apres at the Ahorn is much more civilised if you're not a party-hard type group, with the gorgeous ice bar, quick, playful runs with an easy lift up for those that want to play late in the day, and by far the best ski route down to the valley. Our usual day was spending the morning on Penken, Rastkogel, Eggalm, etc., then going up Ahorn ~3pm for some fast playful runs, a couple of mugs of gluhwein, and a ski back to our chalet (which we could ski into from the Ahorn run).

We stayed at Gasthof Stoanerhof in Mayrhofen last year and liked it. Right by Ahornbahn, convenient for the bus to Eggalm and Hintertux, and ~10 min walk to the Penkenbahn; decent food, decent rooms, nothing massively special other than the great location. We booked out the place as we're a big group, but seems like it would work well as a part booking too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you stay at the station end of town you have the option for a quick bus ride to Horbergbahn as well. This is never as busy as penken and you can sit down in it as well! If you are in ski school on the penken, then makes sense to be nearer penkenbahn. For those looking to get the most out of the zillertal pass then you really want to try Zell, kaltenbach and hintertux and so being closer to the station makes this easier. The greenline bus to hintertux will fill up at busy times and so you want to get on at the station ideally.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Totally agree with Googiew. Stay down by the station. Try Landhause Carla. I can recommend it. Ne ver bother with the Penkenbahn
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the best food I've had was in the Hotel Kramerwirt - the family owns much of the surrounding land and they cure their own hams, bake their own breads, make their own butter, etc. They own most of the butcher's shop in the town too. Hotel is a few mins from the station, and not too far to walk to the Penkenbahn, though obviously you need to factor in the walking time to miss the queues.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I am still undecided as to which side of the village I should stay in. I think that we will probably spend 3 days skiing Mayrhofen and the other 3 days skiing the other areas. We are going in Jan so queues shouldn't be an issue and we tend to make first lifts. I am finding it hard to grasp the size of the village, how far is it to walk in ski boots from the penkenbahn to the train station ? Also I am quite partial to tiroler grostl and am wondering which mountain restaurants do the best grostl?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mountain restaurants are all pretty good to be fair! I'd say about 10 min walk from the pen ken to train station, but just chuck a pair of trainers in a pack and job done. Zell and its area is great, as is further down the valley.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.mayrhofen-experience.com/summer.html Is run by a friend of our, great little place, not a bad location.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its down hill from Penken to the train station. Anyway its vey easy to jump on the free ski buses which are very frequent. http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101117/skibus.html Trust me the bottom of the town by the church and station is the best area and a downhill walk after a night out!!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevinraine, A little bit of a strange question, do you recall if the church bells are loud ? We had a bad experience of them in Saalbach last year, where they started tolling at 6am each morning.
ski holidays
Good for Penkenbahn is Haus Monika B & B.

Good value half board at Hotel Viktoria. The Perauer is vey good but a little dearer.
snow conditions
http://www.ahornblick.at/ is worth a look.
Very close to the Penken. They don't speak much English so it helps if you have a little German (my girlfriend in my case!).
latest report
Your girlfriend is a little German? I had one of those once....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy