Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could anyone suggest an inexpensive way to get from Serre Chevalier to Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm tempted to have two weeks skiing back to back in December, but getting from one resort to another doesn't seem to be easy... Is taxi the only option? I'd like to stay in Serre Chevalier for 1 week, then join friends in Tignes for another week. However all transfers seem to be going from the airport, so I'd have to spend around 7 hours travelling to and from Grenoble again, whereas it should only be 2-3 hour direct journey from Serre Chevalier to Tignes. Does anyone know of any local public buses that run on those routes or affordable taxis between resorts?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow_girl, what dates are you thinking of?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Id' say affordable taxi is a no, and buses tend to run to city centres or airports, then you would need to change to an alternative. It is a long way by road from Tignes to Serre Chevalier and vice-versa. Have you looked at bus service to Oulx from Briancon, then switch to train service via Chambery and onto to Bourg St Maurice. You will then still need a bus up to Tignes. Any way you look at it, unless you drive yourself there it is going to take a while.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow_girl, I have driven Serre Che -Tignes it certainly takes more than 2-3 hours though I cannot remember precisely how long.I suspect going via Grenoble airport is not that bad an option by public transport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow_girl, be warned the bus service goes to Grenoble railway station and not to the airport. You would need to get another shuttle bus to get there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the pointers! Will check it out, although sounds like I might as well book separate flights and get the usual transfer, weirdly enough!
Hells Bells, would have to travel from Serre Chevalier to Tignes on 27th or 28th December if I go ahead with this crazy plan.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hire a car?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hiring a car doesn't seem like the worst option if you can pick up and drop off in different locations, or if having it for the week might be useful. I looked at doing something similar last year (Serre Che to 3 Valleys) and found no non-driving way less than 7-8 hours. Train from Oulx was the only semi-sensible option but that got a bit pricey, double bus transfer to any airport took longer and cost a fair whack.

How much would a taxi be? Frankly at anything near €200 I'd probably think it's the best option, but I hate the idea of travelling for hours (I get travel sick) and lugging luggage over multiple connections. In the end I gave up and skipped the extra trip - would have been my 3rd that year anyway which makes it a bit indulgent, though I'd have gone if I could have worked out an easier/quicker/cheaper transfer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This site http://www.mountainrideshare.com/ is a car-sharing site. Perhaps you can post your journey on there, and see if anyone comes up with a car share for you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would do what Hells Bells suggests and get a bus to Oulx. The buses are timed to coincide with the train departures. Take a train from Oulx to Chambery and then change at Chambery for a train to Bourg St Maurice. I might be tempted to book a taxi from Bourg St Maurice to Tignes but if you really want to keep the cost down there are regular buses to the local resorts from Bourg St Maurice station.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy