Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience with them? My wife gets really cold hand, even with silk liners and makes skiing less enjoyable
Without the MTFU advice, heated gloves seem like a solution, she does not want the Kinco type gloves, and found my Hestras helped but were not warm enough.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of heated glove liners but didn't actually use them last season as I didn't ski in particularly cold weather so can't give any real world experience. I did try them when they first arrived to see if they worked and I was aware that the heating element around the fingers was quite warm, and the battery pack (stored in a pocket on the cuff) was less obtrusive than I thought it might be.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blahblahblah, there is a search function you know...

My wife suffers from Raynaud's phenomenon and now needs heated hands and feet to think about skiing. To date she's used these http://www.klan-heated-clothing.com/klan-heated-gloves-klan-heated-under-gloves-p-244.html?osCsid=5c839d63b7ee068aa1558513132b98e7 but they are a little industrial. Jacket choice includes ensuring a good pocket for the battery.

I just found these http://gerbing.com/collection/t5-glove.html

And BiL is stocking (or at least, had demo pairs) ski specific ones (possibly blazewear?) in Concept Pro in Chamonix this season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, I know about the search function.

I looked at it, but not everybody posts about everything. Also issues with battery life etc.

I like the idea of the heated under gloves, the Gerbing gloves might be a bit industrial.

Thank you rob@rar, yes I was looking at these already, so that is another option.

I take your point about skiing in the cold, and last year I was not cold at all, but her hands were and really had to stop, so really trying to maximise ski time. :
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, Bad news for your wife, doe she use heated insoles? or socks?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
blahblahblah, there is a search function you know...

Sorry redid the search with "all" word and got loads of results, thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blahblahblah, it's a right pain in the , err, hands and feet.

She has the Klan kit for hands - and optionally but not yet needed gilet and leggings. Nice to have in reserve. As I say though, the system is somewhat geared towards users who are attached to motorbikes. The battery pack is compact enough to go in an inside pocket but there are two heavy duty cables, switchgear etc. feeding the gloves. Effective but inelegant.

Feet she uses the SIDAS system, http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/winter-sports-16-2.html - can't recall which battery packs, the Pro I think. They work, but are on at full most of the time.

Makes for an entertaining electrical charging event come the evening...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah, would gloves worn inside mittens work in conjunction with "tea bags" be a viable, alternative option?

"Tea bags" being inserted between gloves and mittens. Appreciate it might be a bit cumbersome but, possibly easier for when the need arises, and without the expense of heated gloves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore wrote:
blahblahblah, would gloves worn inside mittens work in conjunction with "tea bags" be a viable, alternative option?

"Tea bags" being inserted between gloves and mittens. Appreciate it might be a bit cumbersome but, possibly easier for when the need arises, and without the expense of heated gloves.

An excellent idea, we tried tea bags between liners and gloves last year and achieved an acceptable balance, but was looking for easy answer, where I can keep my Hestra's on and carry on skiing.

Expense is an unrecognised word. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blahblahblah, if you go for heated liners you might need to go up a glove size.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Thanks Rob, looking at them now, need to check current gloves for size, and then get rid of them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These: https://www.blazewear.com/heated-gloves/x1-liners.html

My wife suffered really badly until we got these. Brilliant piece of kit. I bought a spare pair of batteries too, just to be safe, but they haven't got much use yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom Doc, thanks for the link to the product, looks interesting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Might sound daft but what about goose down mitts instead of gloves?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use liner gloves plus tea bags plus a great hestra ski cross mitten. Picked that mitten as it is really snug around the wrists and most mitts don't get that close in
ski holidays
@andy1234, here is a discount code for blazewear which you enter at checkout for 15%off ZR59435

@Tom Doc, were the S/M size ok for your wife? As I'm about to get some for my other half and wanted to make sure they aren't too big? Puzzled
snow report
@xanderajma,

I have just received a pair of the Blazewear liners that I ordered for my wife. They haven't been used in anger yet but initial indoors testing shows they certainly get nice and warm.

I was concerned about the sizing but measured her hand as recommended (tailors tape wrapped around the palm) and they fit really well.

She'll be using them riding her horse and for skiing so they should see quite a bit of use Smile
snow conditions
@Mark B, reports on battery longevity will be appreciated
snow conditions
@under a new name, Will do - first real test will be at Christmas in Meribel so will report back after then Smile
snow conditions
@xanderajma, I think she got the small and yes they were a good fit. We didn't have any problems with battery life last year but it wasn't particularly cold either time we were away. And I did get a spare pair of batteries just in case.

@Mark B, Mrs Doc also considered wearing them while riding but decided against it - she was worried the pressure from the reins would damage the heating elements.
latest report
@Tom Doc, As the elements run up the sides of the fingers I guess it could be a problem. However with normal riding or winter riding gloves (seal skinz) over the top I hope they'll survive Smile
ski holidays
Having near zero body fat (6ft, 145lb), and a liking for skiing in January (my record is -27C), I suffer from cold hands. After trying numerous gloves, I tried the following heated gloves:

Snowlife - Lasted 2 weeks, but were replaced at no cost under warranty.
Hestra - Lasted 3 weeks, but were replaced at no cost under warranty.
Black Diamond - First pair 10 days, second pair 2 weeks, third pair (after redesign) still working. All replaced under warranty.

All these gloves use the same back of the digits heater system, with 3 heat levels, which can last up to an 8 hour ski day. I found these gloves work by not letting your hands get cold, rather than keeping them warm, if that makes sense. Unless I put a cold hand in a preheated glove, I was not really aware of the heat.

However, I no longer use them as I have now found that they interfere with Avalanche transceivers, (as does most electronic equipment) in both search and transmit modes. But for piste use, I would highly recommend them.

I have now switched to Outdoor Research Alti gloves, which are a 2 part mountaineering glove, and are rated for use on Everest. These gloves even have internal pockets for heater pads, for added protection.

As an alternative, I can highly recommend HotRox heater units. These USB charged palm sized units are very effective, and at £20 cost effective compared to throw away chemical teabags.
snow report
Gloves arrived super fast and look really good, well you expect that with their price tag. Will let you know the result after Christmas
snow report
I bought some of the blazewear heated liner gloves after reading some threads on here. Tried them out today on full heat inside a pair of decent ski gloves and to be honest I could hardly feel much heat coming from them. A little but on full power they felt like how I thought the lowest setting would feel. I kept them on for about 15 minutes not feeling much then took them off and back on about 5 minutes later. Initially they felt a bit toasty but within seconds the heat had kind of merged into a very mild warmth. I'm recharging the batteries to full to see if that makes a difference.
ski holidays
@swishtony, The gloves don't provide the sort of heat you're after- they work by supplying low levels of heat to prevent your body sensing the cold and shutting down blood vessels. Because of this the difference in the 3 settings is prob quite small. To really get the benefit you need to be somewhere properly cold. Then you will notice the difference!

Mrs Doc made the mismistake of going without them after a lunch break last year because she wasn't that cold in the morning. Tears followed. Within about 1 minute of having the gloves back on she was fine again. But as you say, they don't get hot.
latest report
Like PowderAdict, I have very little body fat, but rarely have cold hands. Apologies if this annoys anyone, but I often find that people with cold hands and feet do not dress properly for skiing in cold conditions. My seventy-something dad is forever complaining about cold hands, but seems reluctant to heed advice from more experienced people.

The body's core temperature must be kept at an appropriate level. If the vital organs are warm, warm blood will flow to the extremities. If the vital organs are not kept warm, blood will be held in the core and the extremities will become cold, possibly leading to frostnip or frostbite.

I use a motorcycling lower back protector that wraps around the waist and a side effect of that is my core area is kept nice and warm at all times. I wear 4 layers on my skinny legs even in 'warm' conditions: merino leggings baselayer, skins, impact shorts, ski pants.

And decent gloves, designed for cold conditions.
snow conditions
@Walter-Spitty, yeah, well, your mates are your mates aren't they? I'd get new mates myself, yours sound crap. rolling eyes

My wife has skied for 40 years (and notwithstanding a few full ski seasons) typically for about 6-8 weeks a year, every year.

Never a problem until experiencing and being diagnosed with a well recognised but poorly understood medical condition.

Nothing to do with being properly prepared or not.

Edited to be less caustic, only 'cos it's near a pagan festival.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 10-12-14 19:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Walter-Spitty, might not be wrong for the original poster though. I thought my new gloves were the problem when I started getting cold hands on a trip a couple of season ago. Added a layer under my (also new) salopettes and problem solved - no more cold hands. It is worth a try checking @blahblahblah's wife isn't just a bit cold overall. I didn't feel properly COLD other than my hands, but getting the rest of me up to genuinely warm instead of just okay fixed the hand problem. Seen the same on horse riding holidays, even a small change in core temps makes a big difference at extremities.

Doesn't work for anyone, but is worth suggesting at least.

aj x
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@a.j., a fair enough point but almost (?) everyone (?) I know who's complained about cold hands has, as first step, layered up.
latest report
My brother and I used to have the same issue, then we bought these http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN7981&utm_source=Product_feed&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA-5-kBRDylPG5096R8mASJABqEdm4HuFdfoMSClvgEibNKw-rdZHfUO6pffCA0HxQXu1ENBoCsf7w_wcB

I always found that i encountered issues when i had to take a glove off to fix something (zipper/phone etc). These mean that even with my main gloves off, there is still some form of protection.
They fit very snuggly under outer gloves, and i would wholeheartedly recommend them.
latest report
+1 @under a new name,

@Walter-Spitty, increasing core temp won't help a Raynaulds sufferer rolling eyes . My wife can get cold hand sat indoors in front of the fire Shocked
ski holidays
@Mark B,
Quote:

increasing core temp won't help a Raynaulds sufferer

are you sure about that?

http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Raynauds_Phenomenon/default.asp

" Remember, a drop in the body’s core temperature triggers the attack"

I don't think its correct to say increasing core temp wont help a Raynaulds sufferer. Keeping a warm core is essential.
latest report
@alex99, "Remember, a drop in the body’s core temperature triggers the attack". My wife would disagree. At least, in simplistic terms. Her "core" as measured superficially, isn't cold.

I have a feeling however, that the body is measuring cold based on inhaled air, or the tip of her nose, or something. I have not studied experimentally. No probes up bums either. But, srsly, she is properly wrapped up and warm.

And, the condition only started, suddenly 4 years ago. And not due to any change in exogenous behaviour.

I'd also note that as far as we/she has been told, it is really not well understood at all.
ski holidays
I don't know anything about Raynaud's phenomenon and was just offering some general tips to the original poster. That's why I specifically wrote: "Apologies if this annoys anyone..." so that people with medical conditions wouldn't feel the need to get offended.
snow conditions
+1 @under a new name,

My wife seems to suffer in the same way, it doesn't appear to be related to her core temp
snow report
@Mark B, have you stuck a thermometer up her bum to check? I don't dare with mine
latest report
@under a new name, maybe you should check each other's wives then? Twisted Evil
snow report
sorry
snow conditions
No, @alex99, in theory, that's a perfectly reasonable idea.

In practice however, I suspect a rather binary outcome with a very skewed distribution.

@Walter-Spitty, I don't think anyone got offended, it did rather seem though that you wandered into the conversation and somewhat randomly just said, "oh stop complaining and put a jumper on". Which was certainly reminiscent of my parents when I complained that the central heating wasn't up high enough.
latest report
And, as an interim update, we have a pair of Blazewear inners with spare batteries in transit to France. Will update first impressions following receipt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy